Thread: Best Car For ITA?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Best Car For ITA?

In your opinions what do you think is the best car choice for ITA? Please comment or message.

Cannot say the "M" word.

They are reliable, handle well, parts grow on trees, and decent factory support.
    Jerry

Lone Star Regional Executive
    Lone Star Tech Chief.

1. Miata 1.8

2. CRX Si
    3. Integra
    4. Miata 1.6
    5. 240SX

Anyone who builds/buys an ITA car other than a Miata is starting in the hole.

JMHO of course.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

Integras, 240sx, Miatas, CRX, Nx2000/SE-R, 325e all have their pluses and minuses and all other than the BMW have won the ARRC over the last 10 years.

I think ITA is as equal as it gets in IT racing. Pick you weapon of choice -- torque monster, RWD or FWD, etc. -- and buy one and then work on the driver. Driver is what sets these cars apart.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    Integras, 240sx, Miatas, CRX, Nx2000/SE-R, 325e
    Jeff made me LOL. I'll tell you exactly how to build one, in excruciating detail, all while telling you it's the absolutely wrong choice. The time for that car - as well as others in that list - is long past.

Only one choice: 1.8L Miata, for many reasons other than it's the obvious outstanding competitive package. It's the only car I would consider building from scratch for ITA. Anything else is pissing in the wind.

GA

I don't know. Seems like a lot of folks pissing in the wind have won the ARRC the last 10 years, while a lot of Miatas have not.

I get its a great car, have driven a few and have been on track with a few of the best.

Only car to build? Clearly not. I would even grant you that it might have a slight advantage over others, but nothing that excellent setup and driving has not been able to overcome.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

the miata is the easy button but it's not the only thing capable of the task. the "Earp Method" might lead one to look at the 86-87 cavalier Z-24 using the GenII 2.8L V6. It wouldn't last more than a season before the non IT-ness of the specline (saturn rear brake allowances??) and, likely, the weight, were corrected (other GMs with this engine come in ~100-200lbs heavier) but with the bomber class guys out there at the roundy rounds, there's bound to be some good tuning knowledge on these things. handling would be OK, brakes (assuming stock) are not a strong point but appear acceptable, and screw manufacturer support, you can rebuild these from on the shelf parts at your friendly local autoparts store for CHEAP.

no, I'd never drive one. I'd get a miata.

Only one choice: 1.8L Miata, for many reasons other than it's the obvious outstanding competitive package. It's the only car I would consider building from scratch for ITA. Anything else is pissing in the wind.
    I would even grant you that it might have a slight advantage over others
    ...it would be tough for me to not pick the 1.8 Miata.
    I think the Miata is the easy button, and perhaps even has a slight advantage when built to the max against other 100% builds.
    If ALL other factors were held equal, the Miata is probably the better option.
    I'm starting to see a trend here...

Like others have stated, regardless of which car you choose you still have to build it right, set it up right, and drive the wheels off it to beat the best. Going with the Miata won't make you an instant/automatic winner; no car will. But I think it's pretty clear which is the best one to start with.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

Probably true in all IT classes. One car has a slight advantage if built and setup and driven to the max.

There's no way for us to balance all of this stuff equally. And doing so would be rather "prod like."

Get'em close and let'em race. That's what we have and it sure seems to work well. Diversity in ITA "winners" is pretty damn high right now.

Quote Originally Posted by erlrich View Post
    I'm starting to see a trend here...

Like others have stated, regardless of which car you choose you still have to build it right, set it up right, and drive the wheels off it to beat the best. Going with the Miata won't make you an instant/automatic winner; no car will. But I think it's pretty clear which is the best one to start with.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8