Thread: Adding Ballast

Default Adding Ballast

Does anyone have any photos of ballast attachment from their cars?

I've read the GCR and understand the rule, I want to see some visual references.

Thanks.
    John W8

CSP10 Miata
    ITA50 Miata

300lbs of lead in 100lb blocks. Yup. ITR S2000.

Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    300lbs of lead in 100lb blocks. Yup. ITR S2000.

Damn that's a lot of lead. And a lot of trust in those nuts and washers.
    John W8

CSP10 Miata
    ITA50 Miata

Jim Drago has a nice system for the miata , but by the time you add all the weight I need it's $$$$$

http://mazdaracers.com/store/product/57-ballast-system/

Since I'm going to STL , I can move my weight to a better location than the ITA specified location. My current plates no longer fit in the new location , so I need 160# ... I priced out 10"x12"x1/2" plate from

www.metalplatesource.com

With shipping it was almost $ 400.00

Quote Originally Posted by TStiles View Post
    Jim Drago has a nice system for the miata , but by the time you add all the weight I need it's $$$$$

http://mazdaracers.com/store/product/57-ballast-system/

Since I'm going to STL , I can move my weight to a better location than the ITA specified location. My current plates no longer fit in the new location , so I need 160# ... I priced out 10"x12"x1/2" plate from

www.metalplatesource.com

Nice looking setup but not legal for ITA. The ballast has to be in the footwell which is in front of the seat up to where it kinks up. Dragos setup mounts to where the seat was installed. I like that system but the rules want me to bolt lead to thin sheetmetal instead.
    John W8

CSP10 Miata
    ITA50 Miata

Quote Originally Posted by TStiles View Post
    Go on eBay and do a search for "lead". There are numerous sellers that ship lead using USPS' "if it fits it ships - up to 50#" boxes for $12-$14. So many different forms available, including sheet.

Seems like it's all made from melted-down wheel weights, fishing sinkers, and bullets, and I'm sure the sellers probably don't have any teeth left, but it's your duty as an American to ensure the economy continues to function for these folks.

You do love America, right...?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW8 View Post
    Nice looking setup but not legal for ITA. The ballast has to be in the footwell which is in front of the seat up to where it kinks up. Dragos setup mounts to where the seat was installed. I like that system but the rules want me to bolt lead to thin sheetmetal instead.

Not exactly. From the GCR
    l. Ballast may be used. All ballast shall be located in the front passenger foot well/seating area, aft of the firewall and any foot well angle, and forward of the aft-edge of the forward most passenger door opening, unless otherwise specified on the vehicle’s spec line. OEM front passenger seat location.
    1. It shall be in segments no heavier than fifty (50) pounds, and shall be capable of being removed to be weighed apart from the car.
    2. Each segment shall be fastened with a minimum of two (2) one-half (1/2) inch bolts and positive lock nuts of SAE Grade 5 or better, and shall utilize large-diameter, load distributing washers.
    3. Holes may be drilled in the front passenger foot well/ seating area floor pan for purposes of mounting the ballast (only), and said floor pan may be reinforced as required for the same purpose.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    300lbs of lead in 100lb blocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by dickita15 View Post
    1. It shall be in segments no heavier than fifty (50) pounds...

Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Confirmed 3 blocks of 50lbs. I even picked these up at the lead guy. 300lbs would have not been good in the Mazda. I was remembering that we thought we needed 300lbs of ballast until Ulfelder did all his do-dads like cool suit etc. Those blocks have about the profile of an iPad.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

I have been considering using barbell weights as I have them kicking around somewhere.

I intend to mount them with two bolts, one through the hole of the weight and one through the floor pan outside the weights, with a strap between the bolts ontop of the weights. That satisfy theintent of mounting with two bolts? Or do both bolts have to go through the weight?
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

This is how I did it on the Integra; there's another piece of steel plate underneath the body panel backing that up.

Other than location, I think it meets the intent of the IT regs.

Greg, exactly what I was planning except one bolt in the center of the weight, and one outside the weight.
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

i prefer steel over lead. i had borrowed some lead from a friend and had trouble keeping the bolts tight.

the lead is so soft it kept deforming enough to have the bolts loosen.

the difference in CG is minimal.

one thing i did to help secure the weights (i had three 50#) was to weld in brackets in front and behind that the weights sat in. this helped from a fore-aft load and helped line-up where to put the weights. i was installing/removing depending on if i was running Honda Challenge or ITB.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

If you have a space problem, you could always use spent uranium. Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

I mount 1 5#er, under the car as a washer. Bigass all thread through the weights. Double nut both ends.
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/