Thread: ITS Mustang Results - some useful/useless information ...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Try for less than 54% rear weight. Take # off of the LF , until it hurts the car turning left.

Keeping your eyes near center, for all of your info input, will keep you from hitting stuff,IMHo

Swap out the oil pump, add a strut to the pickup tube, add distance to the pan..

The 205 tires will have no value trimming the car for a 245 tire. the big tires need way more spring.
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

This thread better be getting updated after every test session!
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

With the center mirror close and down, you don't have to move your head, just cut your eyes. I run a Longacre curved mirror and can see behind me and the RR corner without moving my head much. Re focusing on the mirror has not been a problem. Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

Plus one on the no comparo between 205 and 245. And if the 205's were fine now, wait til you go faster!
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

Chuck Baader: "I run a Longacre curved mirror & can see behind me & the RR corner w/out moving my head much."
    I have looked at those. Thanks for the confirmation. I think that it will be a viable option when I get the seat dropped down a bit.

Smile

Try a tractor-trailer side mirror in the car horizontally. They are around 20 inches long by 6 inches wide and have a 5/16 stud in the middle of each end.
    They give a big enough field of vision that you can rotate them and
    see directly behind you as well as out the right window. It's big enough that you see everything using both eyes and have great depth perception. You get the big clear picture about the car trying to get underneath you going into the right-handers. Your eyes don't have to refocus when you're looking forward and then backwards depth is always the same.
    And if you mount your video camera to the right of your helmet then the split image that occurs (with the top of the screen being what's behind you and the bottom two thirds what's in front) evidence how much the car is rotating by the amount they move laterally to each other- quite interesting!
    phil hunt

Flyinglizard: "Try for less than 54% rear weight."
    Do you mean 54% FRONT weight?

"Keeping your eyes near center for all of your info input ..."
    It's not so much a left/center/right issue as a near/far issue. Your eyes refocus just going from the gauges to the mirror. And all the while, there are a potload of IT cars capable of covering the length of a football field in under 2 seconds. And things can really get weird when night racing. And, all the while, we count the ounces in getting the weight off, but ignore what Carroll Smith often referred to as "the weakest link in any race car ... the driver!"No mas!!!

"Swap out the oil pump, add a strut to the pickup tube ..."
    New pump has already been ordered. Existing P/U tube has additional bracket in OE trim, but may add gusset(s) pending 'autopsy'.

"... add distance to the pan."
    Do you mean lengthen the P/U tube?