Thread: RX7 Guys need help

Default RX7 Guys need help

I have a 88 ITS rx7 and want to run STL or STU..Help needed on my decision...any advice?
    Keith V

I don't have much practical advise for you other than that in SW Div. we have some stout STU cars running and one rotary powered miata hitting the track soon.

In STL we have a smattering of ITA/SM miatas ... That's going to change ... The MW Div. STL field at Hallett looked like a larger field of the same.

Your car should be competitive in the STL fields , maybe not in the STU group unless it's developed.

Looking for a Engine Controller now, found a gearbox and some 16 inch wheels.
    :026:

See Ya at Eagle's Canyon in July , it's a shorter tow for you than it is for me.

Quote Originally Posted by keith35 View Post
    I have a 88 ITS rx7 and want to run STL or STU..Help needed on my decision...any advice?
    Keith V
    Do you want to run, or do you want to COMPETE?

We run our IT BMW in STU because two of us share it - one in IT, one in STU. We have fun in both, and are under-prepped for both.
    -----------------------
    Jarrod Igou
    ITR/STU BMW 325i, #92
    Des Moines Valley Region

I would like to be able to run in the top half of the field, no body I know wants to get their A$$ handed to them...

Quote Originally Posted by keith35 View Post
    Keith V
    EP if you plan on running many SOWDIV races, that's where you'll find the most competition. Port the motor and throw some slicks on it. I'll even hook you up with some used tires if you need.
    Mark B. - Dallas, TX
    #76 RX-7 2nd Gen
    SCCA EP
    Former ITS, ITE, NASA PT

No Prod, want to run other series with the car too...may just go run Lemons or Chump, hell of alot more fun lately and less of a pain in the a$$.

I'm running STU in my 1990 RX-7. Chances are, you won't make minimum weight in STU (2,300# for a street ported 13b) unless you're doing a serious build, but you'll get within 100# pretty easy (that's where I am, and with some more cutting I'm hoping to get within 50#). STL has a minimum weight of 2,680#, so hitting minimum weight will require a couple hundred pounds of ballast.

By my math, the RX-7 will be very fast in STU, but if a well prepared piston-powered STU car shows up, you'll be beat. STU runs faster than EP, and since the allowances are almost identical in STU and EP for the street ported 13b FC RX-7, the best you can hope for is to run EP times. In STL, just look at what times ITS cars run compared to the STL guys and that will tell you how competitive you can be.

I chose STU because I wanted a lightweight car that was easy on brakes and tires...that, and with a rotary the price between STL and STU is a couple hundred bucks if you're going to be rebuilding the motor anyway since the only difference is a street port.

The caveat to this is the recent allowance to run a bridge port 13b in STU at 2,600#. I know nothing about bridge port power, so I don't know how that will stack up against the lighter weight street port cars. If anyone has an idea about that, I'd love to know.
    Last edited by Prof. Chaos; 05-11-2012 at 01:56 PM.
    EP 1990 Mazda RX-7 (used to be STU until the turbo cars scared me away, and STL rotary cars require too much ballast)
    ITS/T4 2004 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V