Thread: RX7 Guys need help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm running STU in my 1990 RX-7. Chances are, you won't make minimum weight in STU (2,300# for a street ported 13b) unless you're doing a serious build, but you'll get within 100# pretty easy (that's where I am, and with some more cutting I'm hoping to get within 50#). STL has a minimum weight of 2,680#, so hitting minimum weight will require a couple hundred pounds of ballast.

By my math, the RX-7 will be very fast in STU, but if a well prepared piston-powered STU car shows up, you'll be beat. STU runs faster than EP, and since the allowances are almost identical in STU and EP for the street ported 13b FC RX-7, the best you can hope for is to run EP times. In STL, just look at what times ITS cars run compared to the STL guys and that will tell you how competitive you can be.

I chose STU because I wanted a lightweight car that was easy on brakes and tires...that, and with a rotary the price between STL and STU is a couple hundred bucks if you're going to be rebuilding the motor anyway since the only difference is a street port.

The caveat to this is the recent allowance to run a bridge port 13b in STU at 2,600#. I know nothing about bridge port power, so I don't know how that will stack up against the lighter weight street port cars. If anyone has an idea about that, I'd love to know.
    Last edited by Prof. Chaos; 05-11-2012 at 01:56 PM.
    EP 1990 Mazda RX-7 (used to be STU until the turbo cars scared me away, and STL rotary cars require too much ballast)
    ITS/T4 2004 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V