Thread: Rotary Engine Eligibility for Super Touring Light

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Rotary Engine Eligibility for Super Touring Light

I'm hearing rumors -- probably third-or-more-hand -- that rotary-engined IT-compliant cars are being rejected entry in Super Touring Light for the June Sprints. As I understand it, this is due to the following regulation:

9.1.4.B "Eligibility" (p456 in May GCR):
    GCR listed ITS, ITA, ITB, and ITC cars with reciprocating piston engines of 2 liters and less engine displacement, 1985 and newer, may compete in STL under their current IT specifications.
    Emphasis mine. I'm hearing (remember, all rumor) is that this is being "interpreted" to mean that any ITS-C car with a rotary engine is excluded from running STL. While one can argue this is technically correct, in realty it is patently incorrect.

It is technically correct that any rotary-engined ITS-C car is not explicitly allowed into STL via the above-mentioned IT allowance. However, this "interpretation" fails to take into account 9.1.4.3.I.2 (p491, May GCR):
    The Mazda 12A is permitted at 2225 lbs; Mazda 13B is permitted at 2615 lbs; no porting is permitted in either engine. The 5th and 6th intake port actuators and valves may be removed or disabled. The Mazda Renesis engine is permitted at 3000 lbs.
    You will notice that the weights for the 12A and 13B, after you add the 2.5% for RWD, match that of the existing weights for the ITA and ITS RX-7s. This is no coincidence. You will also note that any car compliant to Improved Touring regulations is also compliant to Super Touring regulations (i.e., there's no mods allowed in IT that are not allowed in ST; if you see any, then let us know so we can adjust the regs accordingly.)

Ergo...if you want to run your IT-compliant rotary-engined car in Super Touring Light at the June Sprints, don't confuse the registrars by saying yours is an IT car, just tell them it's a Super Touring Light car with a rotary engine.

And go have fun.

GA

Cant do that.

Can,t enter a car in ST as an ST car with IT compiant stuff. All or nothing.

ST cars require a cell if the Fuel tank is located behind the rear axle. IT cars dont require a cell.

If you enter your IT compliant RX7 as an STx car, not under the IT allowance, than a cell will be required and you will not be copmpliant.

Not trying to start a fight,just stateing what I read. Maybe I mised something.

Oh yeah, Allow Mild Porting to a rotary in STL and youve got a good car for class. I mean Pistons get stuff, Why no love for the rotary????? Ok that might start another fight.

Dan
    IT7,STL or EP

Spoke with the IN-House steward on the definition of the latest rule change regarding Purpose and Philosophy

STL is a tuner type class for Recipracating piston engines of 2.0 liters or less

Recipracating Engine An internal combustion enigine that converts the driven action of one or more PISTONS to rotary movement.

Rotary Engine A NON Recripracating Engine

It also states what Greg said above. That ITS-C cars with Recipracating Piston Engines

So it appears that the Rotary car allowance was changed to disalow rotary engines in STL. Mistake, I hope so.

Dan
    Last edited by Dano77; 05-06-2012 at 09:30 AM.

while I am sure the intent of your interpretation Greg is spot on,
    as an semi-professional lawyer, I am afraid the words do not support
    it, and will need to be changed.

specifically, the eligibility section 9.1.4.B is where the IT allowance is defined.

in the allowed engine section 9.1.4.3.I.2 the rotary engines are
    specifically allowed, but there is no direct tie-in to IT cars,
    and so that means that the rotary engines are allowed for ST builds

without the fuel cell AND a dash cross bar on the cage, (I have neither)
    an IT build will not meet the other ST specs
    so... what needs to be proposed is a change to the wording

FROM
    "Any GCR listed IT cars, 1985 and newer, under their current IT
    specifications may compete in STU. GCR listed ITS, ITA, ITB,
    and ITC cars with reciprocating piston engines of 2 liters and less
    engine displacement, 1985 and newer, may compete in STL under
    their current IT specifications"

TO
    "Any GCR listed IT cars, 1985 and newer, under their current IT
    specifications may compete in STU. GCR listed ITS, ITA, ITB,
    and ITC cars with reciprocating piston engines of 2 liters and less
    engine displacement, or rotary engines as specified in 9.1.4.3.I.2,
    [S]1985 and newer,[/S] may compete in STL under their current IT specifications"

and I guess while we are at it, we should eliminate the 1985 redundancy, since
    IT cars aren't allowed engine swaps, there is no need to invoke the 1985 rule
    independently for the car and the engine.

so, if nobody else has proposed this yet, I will have to go learn how... Greg, will you take the ball for me?

Last edited by lawtonglenn; 05-06-2012 at 10:31 AM.

Glenn Lawton
    GSMmotorsports
    #14 ITS RX7
    NARRC ITS Champion 2012
    NERRC ITS Champion 2013 12 11 10 09 08
    NERRC STU Champion 2010

Letter number #8233 is currently waiting to be reviewed by the ST committee.
    After the ST committee reviews your letter, the CRB will review it, and it will
    proceed to Fastrack.

Glenn Lawton
    GSMmotorsports
    #14 ITS RX7
    NARRC ITS Champion 2012
    NERRC ITS Champion 2013 12 11 10 09 08
    NERRC STU Champion 2010

Just getting in from Summit Point, haven't read everything (or your email, Dan). But I forgot about the safety items. Otherwise the IT RX-7s are compliant to ST prep regs...no need to write letters, the STAC is currently debating how to resolve that prior to the Sprints.

On a purely personal opinion note, absolutely positively not reflecting the opinion of any other member of the STAC or CRB, Super Touring Light is a class for 2L and under piston engines, but rotary engines are given a place to play in it. Nothing more. If you want opportunity to have reasonable competitiveness, go build for STU (Street Port or Bridge Port) or Production (Street Port). But if you want stock ports and limited chassis mods, Improved Touring is your class (while you can still get parts...RIP Wankel Rotary Engine!!!) and you'll be able to enter STL.

Or you can volunteer to replace me on the STAC .

GA, from the iPhone...