Thread: Jim Stark Report?

Default Jim Stark Report?

Anyone go to Roebling this past weekend? How about an update.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

I only paid attention to Group 7. Track was SLOW -- slick and got worse when Mike VS blew up in turn 3 in qual (or dropped oil, he did race later that day so it wasn't terminal).

Overall pole was a new 968 at 23.1, Chip Bailey had the ITS pole at 23.4 and I was 2nd in S and 3rd overall at 23.8. I think 9 ITS cars qualified.

Lap 8 of qual (I couldn't get a clean lap early which is DOOM at Roebling) I started smoking some and by lap 11 it was bad enough for a black flag. Paper seal on the back half of hte transmission (newly rebuilt) blew out. Scrambled some to find a place with a lift to put the spare in and quit around 5 and headed home.

In the race, Mike VS started dead last but won ITA and got 3rd overall. First was David Karably's ITR BMW, Chip Bailey got 2nd overall and 1st in ITS after a good back and forth battle with Chuck.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Did Chuck run the RX or the Miata?
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Quote Originally Posted by seckerich View Post
    Miata. He was 24.4 or something qual, I think got into the 23s during the race. Track was bad. Mike VS didn't run under 24 all day Saturday, and the ITR cars were both in the 24s. I think Chuck might have had the only 23 in the race.

Sunday, no idea. I left Saturday night.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

ITB field was OK. we had Steve and Mike Ulbrik and myself in MR2s, Dave Raymon in his Del-Slo, 2 1st gen CRXs (David and ?), and an 85 Audi Coupe GT.

the GT had electrical issues saturday and didn't run the race. In saturday practice My MR2 got collected by a spinning 510 Datsun ITC car who got together with the black CRX exiting 3 just in front of me. while I was able to run the race with a lot of duct tape and some tree pulling, the engine had gone off and I called it about halfway through and withdrew sunday.

Steve and Dave R. ran 1-2 with the Jay G's old CRX driven by David (last name?) catching. Raymon lost an ECU fuse and parked it, but only after the CRX drove by him and Steven - that car was FAST. Mike pulled up 3rd. fast race lap was a respectable 26.6, CRX.

everyone but me was back out sunday, but David's CRX somehow lost pace. race was tight 1-4 with the trackspeed MR2s and Del sol and the Audi. steve led the whole race challenged by the audi while mike apparently said the right prayers and found 2 seconds between sunday qual and race, passing dave about halfway through and keeping up with the leaders, running a personal and race best lap of 1:27.27. dave held on to a close 4th. the audi had a failed wheel bearing and fell back, moving Mike to 2nd and Dave to 3rd. fast lap was a 27.3 by steve.

and yes, track was SLIPPERY saturday morning and didn't improve.
    Last edited by Chip42; 04-30-2012 at 01:12 PM.

also - carnage in the SM race, with some damage in the ITA/S/R/7 field too. only incident in ITB/C/SRF/T3/SSB group was the saturday qual incident with me and the datsun.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip42 View Post
    also - carnage in the SM race, with some damage in the ITA/S/R/7 field too. only incident in ITB/C/SRF/T3/SSB group was the saturday qual incident with me and the datsun.
    Ouch -- what happened in A/S/R/7? Did we lose any cars?? I hope not...
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Saturday there was a bit of a pile up in the first corner. I saw three or four cars nose to tail hitting each other as I flew by, trying to avoid contact and find a hole, but I didn't see what caused it.

The sunday A/S/R/7 race had around 10 less entries.
    Tristan Smith
    1991 Nissan ITR 300zx #56

Tristan - I didn't get a chance to stop and introduce myself but your car looked fantastic. good to see you out there.

Thanks Chip. Sorry we didn't get a chance to talk, but I did enjoy watching you use the oak tree.

While your damage was substantial, that 510 really got walloped. Hate to see that happen to anyone.
    Tristan Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan Smith View Post
    Thanks Chip. Sorry we didn't get a chance to talk, but I did enjoy watching you use the oak tree.

While your damage was substantial, that 510 really got walloped. Hate to see that happen to anyone.
    The Datsun 510 is one of my favorite cars of all time, and yeah - it got hurt badly, probobly a re-tub. I was terribly upset about the whole thing and wish there were something I could have done to get away from it (didn't want to see either of us get damaged!). I'm really glad the driver was OK, and his spirits were pretty good. I'm also uninjured and wonder how the hell I'm going to fix this thing - there's about a billion individual stampings in that front end. neither of the cars are particularly common finds anymore, much less wihtout serious rot. sometimes racing sucks.
    Last edited by Chip42; 04-30-2012 at 04:21 PM.

The R/S/A/7 incident was a case of someone moving right on Chip Bailey, who moved right on Shaun Hinds, who ended up in the grass entering the braking area into turn 1. Shaun spun and looked to have crossed the track and missed everyone. But he wasn't all the way off and his last half spin brought him back to the inside of the track. A black ITS RX7 (I think Bill Gallup) then hit Shaun in the back. I was following right behind and couldn't see where Shaun had ended up, so I then nailed the RX7. I didn't see how much damage Gallup got, but he drove in to retire. The impact seriously damaged the whole front end of my car, but it was drivable. Other than the bodywork, the worst thing about it was, the guy who spun (Shaun) ended up with a bigger lead over me than he started with!

I was able to run him down with about 5 to go, but I picked up a serious engine bobble going around turn 6 and/or 7 on most laps (i.e., it would almost die completely). I'd pick up a bunch from 1 to 6, then watch him disappear while waiting for the car to start running again. Turned out that my air cleaner stud had broken (from the crash, perhaps?) and with the cleaner flopping around, the rubber gasket had gotten partially sucked into the carb and was intermittently obstructing an auxiliary venturi (for you FI types, that's the part that lets the gas in ). Then the leaders caught me on the last turn, last lap but didn't catch Shaun by the checker, so I lost my last shot.

Things went better on Sunday (other than getting black flagged in qualifying because my hood wouldn't stay closed - it doesn't fit anymore). In the race, I held off Stan Hinds at the start and steadily pulled away. Thanks to Tristan, who waved me by early on and made it a little easier.
    Tom Lyttle
    Decatur, GA
    IT7 Mazda - 2006, 2008 SARRC Champion
    ITS Nissan 200SX - finally running correctly
    FP Ford Capri - waiting for a comp adjustment
    GT3 Dodge Daytona - what was I thinking?

No results on MyLaps yet. CB
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

I ran STL against 2 Miatas that destroyed me. I had a lot of fun with Chip and everyone else.

My first real races were pretty exciting, I unfortunately had over heating problems from the 1st lap in qualifying and limped it around to finish day 1. Chip, Steve, and Dave helped me change the head gasket. I still had the same issues day 2 and popped the motor on lap 11. That was good enough to get 2nd both days in STL and get my needed races for my license. 2nd was not earned for me, day 1, one of the Miatas was under weight and day 2 I got 2nd by default.

All in all I had a blast, loved really racing, and had some fun battles with some prod cars before the motor went.

Tristan, I saw your 300 several times near our area and have to say its an awesome machine.
    CFR STL #59 Civic

www.circuit-racer.com

Quote Originally Posted by seckerich View Post
    I assume this is Hines? Didnt know he was voing miata route?
    1987 ITS RX-7
    2014 Ford Focus ST
    Currently borrowing tow vehicles!!

Central Carolina Region

STEELERS SIX PACK!!

Gentleman, new guy here in the 968 / ITR. I had a great time racing with all of you in group 7, clean and safe. Didnt get a chance to meet all of you over the weekend but look forward to seeing all of you at a track soon.

Cheers,
    Joel Carter
    92-968 ITR

Quote Originally Posted by cjb25hs View Post
    I assume this is Hines? Didnt know he was voing miata route?
    Yep -- situational though I think. He ran the RX7 at VIR, the Miata at CMP and Roebling. I think his thought is RX7 on power tracks, and the Miata on handling tracks.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by Joel968 View Post
    Gentleman, new guy here in the 968 / ITR. I had a great time racing with all of you in group 7, clean and safe. Didnt get a chance to meet all of you over the weekend but look forward to seeing all of you at a track soon.

Cheers,
    Joel Carter
    92-968 ITR
    Joel, great to meet you as well. Hope to see you at CMP, and make sure you get up to VIR at some point!

Take care and see you soon.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by Chip42 View Post
    everyone but me was back out sunday, but David's CRX somehow lost pace. race was tight 1-4 with the trackspeed MR2s and Del sol and the Audi. steve led the whole race challenged by the audi while mike apparently said the right prayers and found 2 seconds between sunday qual and race, passing dave about halfway through and keeping up with the leaders, running a personal and race best lap of 1:27.27. dave held on to a close 4th. the audi had a failed wheel bearing and fell back, moving Mike to 2nd and Dave to 3rd. fast lap was a 27.3 by steve.

and yes, track was SLIPPERY saturday morning and didn't improve.
    I know nobody is talking to ITB but to clarify it was mike (my father) that ran the fast lap of a 1:27.27. I ran a 1:27.29. Dave (del sol) and Audi were in low to mid 27's as well.
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

Thanks Corey, I appreciate the good word. I just need to figure out how to make it competitive. I need some seat time to see what needs fixing.

Quote Originally Posted by coreyehcx View Post
    I ran STL against 2 Miatas that destroyed me. I had a lot of fun with Chip and everyone else.

My first real races were pretty exciting, I unfortunately had over heating problems from the 1st lap in qualifying and limped it around to finish day 1. Chip, Steve, and Dave helped me change the head gasket. I still had the same issues day 2 and popped the motor on lap 11. That was good enough to get 2nd both days in STL and get my needed races for my license. 2nd was not earned for me, day 1, one of the Miatas was under weight and day 2 I got 2nd by default.

All in all I had a blast, loved really racing, and had some fun battles with some prod cars before the motor went.

Tristan, I saw your 300 several times near our area and have to say its an awesome machine.
    Tristan Smith