Thread: Memorial Day weekend at the Glen

Smile Memorial Day weekend at the Glen

Glen Region has new date Memorial Day weekend this year Registration open on Motorsportsreg.com Double weekend Long course one day short course the second day. T Weaver
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

NHM...what? Now this sounds like a fun event! Still have yet to run the short course and looking forward to that.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Can either event make money like this? What was the motivation to add a date the same weekend as one of the most popular regionals?
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    Can either event make money like this? What was the motivation to add a date the same weekend as one of the most popular regionals?
    Andy, No black helicopters in site. The date became available from WGI. So BOD decided to take it. I hope both regions do ok. With travel costs involved my guess would be neither event will detract from each other. I guess if we could look at last years entry at NH and see if entrys came from this direction that might be a better gauge of loss on entries. Just my thoughts. TW
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

Both events have great formats. Triple at NHMS and the two configs at WGI. Too bad they are on the same weekend.
    Andy Bettencourt

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    AND the same weekend as a double national?

BTW-the Glen event is also part of the MARRS schedule.
    Gregg Ginsberg
    '96 Civic EX -- MARRS ITA #72
    WDCR-SCCA Rookie of the Year 2003
    MARRS ITA/T3 Drivers rep

There are at least 2 of us coming to the WGi weekend from Central Ohio. Never been to this track and looking forward to having a great weekend! The holiday weekend makes this an easy trip for me. Can't wait! Just need to get the car together.
    Matt Downing
    1995 Honda Civic EX Coupe - ITA
    Ohio Valley Region, SCCA

and a NASA event at NJMP that may (no pun intended) also include an enduro...

And IMG at LRP on Monday.
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

As the cry goes out "there's too many races" but....the weekend came available!
    Jerry
    NER South

Quote Originally Posted by ner88 View Post
    As the cry goes out "there's too many races" but....the weekend came available!
    Around here (Ohio), if a track weekend becomes available - we pick it up. Weekends don't come available often - so when they do we take advantage and pick it up. If we (SCCA) don't take it - another group will.
    Matt Downing
    1995 Honda Civic EX Coupe - ITA
    Ohio Valley Region, SCCA

Quote Originally Posted by downingracing View Post
    Around here (Ohio), if a track weekend becomes available - we pick it up. Weekends don't come available often - so when they do we take advantage and pick it up. If we (SCCA) don't take it - another group will.
    And we get that for sure. But imagine you had a super popular regional AND a National on the same weekend, than another regional pops up.

*I* personally don't care because since this is a MARRS event, I am sure it will be well attended because they are drawing from a pool typically not taken from, but what we as drivers hate to have to answer is the 'where is everyone' question when it's obvious that there are so many races that the available pool is diluted.

Having said that, this years NARRC schedule has receive RAVE reviews. Great tracks at about 1 race per month. It's perfect for most people I have talked to.
    Andy Bettencourt

I'm happy this event is available!!! WGI>NHMS

Drivers are one thing... what about workers?
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"