Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Logbook question

Default Logbook question

I'm trying to get a replacement logbook for an ITB car that came from the NEOHIO region. do all IT cars have a certain number of digits in the # on the cage. also, is the VIN used in IT for the logbook?

Quote Originally Posted by BruceG View Post
    I'm trying to get a replacement logbook for an ITB car that came from the NEOHIO region. do all IT cars have a certain number of digits in the # on the cage. also, is the VIN used in IT for the logbook?
    All numbers are the same length as far as I know. The VIN is not used in any way.

I assume that you have the number stamped on the cage?
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

Quote Originally Posted by CRallo View Post
    All numbers are the same length as far as I know. The VIN is not used in any way.

I assume that you have the number stamped on the cage?
    All i could find on the cage appears to be a 6 digit #, Chris...does that sound right?

All i could find on the cage appears to be a 6 digit #, Chris...does that sound right?
    Yes. The first part is the region's ID number. The there should be a dash technically and then comes your cars/logbooks number. The first one issued by the region is 001. Mine happens to be 1003. The region's number is depicted as 026, so my car/logbook is 026-1003.
    Chris Rallo "the kid"

NNJR who LB'd my car is region number 26, and FYI NEOhio is number 24.
    Chris Rallo "the kid"

Thanks, Chris

No problem!

but what the heck are you up to now?!
    Chris Rallo "the kid"

Thanks, Chris
    Bruce, you should be able to contact tect people in NE ohio and they should be able to help. T Weaver
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

don't remember if it is required but my original logbook had/has the VIN in it.

my first logbook for the car started as "previous log book lost" noted in it because i had bought the cage used and did not get a logbook with it.

i put the cage in my first crx and after driver's school i bought a second car and moved the bolt-in cage to the other car.

i got read the riot act a year or two later when getting another annual and they realized that i had changed shells. made a notation in the logbook, etc.

during the annual i had at Mid-Ohio in 2009, the guy doing tech figured he might have teched the roll cage for the first time.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Logbook goes with the rollcage, generally speaking. When I'm doing an annual I compare the logbook number to the rollcage number. Unless it gets installed in a totally different car (e.g., Tom's Civic cage into a Mustang) it'll pass muster.

Rallo is correct on all his info. Get the cage number, find out the region, contact the region's tech administrator. I've re-issued lost logbooks after verifying the info with a regional tech admin.

Conversely, if the cage is compliant to the current regs (i.e., you don't need to conform to pre-2009 regs) then it's just as easy to issue a new logbook. It's not like any of our cars are going to be valuable antiques where we need "original racing histories" or anything like that.

GA

Greg....You da man!!......I think the cage complies with the pre 2009 regs fine.car was built into a race car in the mid 90's.

Stupid question?.....is the logbook # located in any particular spot on the cage and does it have a certain # of characters,digits?

From memory, the regs only state that an identity number is "permanently stamped" on the rollcage, with the first two digits corresponding to the region that issued the logbook and consecutive numbers for each individual rollcage after that.

Traditionally, that number is 5-6 digits total and is stamped somewhere on the main roll hoop on the passenger side.

If you look all over the main rollhoop and can't find it, look on a door bar or rear leg. If you still can't find it then sand off paint in key areas; sometimes the cages get re-painted and obscure the numbers.

GA

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    From memory, the regs only state that an identity number is "permanently stamped" on the rollcage, with the first two digits corresponding to the region that issued the logbook and consecutive numbers for each individual rollcage after that.

Traditionally, that number is 5-6 digits total and is stamped somewhere on the main roll hoop on the passenger side.

If you look all over the main rollhoop and can't find it, look on a door bar or rear leg. If you still can't find it then sand off paint in key areas; sometimes the cages get re-painted and obscure the numbers.

GA
    Thanks, GA!

How can we get the Tech/logbook info to the National office?
    Chasing the local tech guys can be a hard timeIMHO.
    For all the money that club pays to national for recordkeeping,I would hope that they have the logbook info on a file.
    Is this not the case?
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

Nope. Logbook records are kept within each region. - GA

Just for the record: As I mentioned above, our car's number starts with 026 even though the regions number is listed as 26. And I will stress the fact that there is supposed to be a dash to separate the numbers. Greg, you would know better if this usually happens or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post

GA
    Chris Rallo "the kid"

Interesting...I just looked it up in the GCR and you're correct: it does say there's supposed to be a dash. However, I'm unaware of anyone actually doing that...I certainly haven't been. Problem's going to be that most commonly-available alphanumeric stamping sets are 36-piece (A-Z, &, 0-9 with "6" and "9" being the same) and do not include a dash -- such as mine (I used a 9-piece numerical). And using a sideways "1" or "I" as a dash would get very confusing...

I personally stamp 6 digits: two for the region ("22" for Northeast) and four digits for the subsequent logbook number (we're only in the mid- to high-200s, last I recall).

GA

9.2.1.F. Identity Numbers:

1. Each vehicle shall be issued an identity number which will be permanently stamped on its roll bar, and which will correspond to the number on the Vehicle Logbook.

2. The first digit(s) corresponding to the region’s identity number will be separated from the balance of the numbers by a dash (-).

3. The car numbering system, beginning with 001, shall be issued consecutively as the vehicles are registered during a thorough inspection.

Mine all have a dash or big space between the region # and sequence #
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

Decided to go look at mine... It is actually done vertically, as in a "tower" with the letters "right side up" down the main hoop... and has a big space between the 026 and the 1003.

dash on the logbook.
    Chris Rallo "the kid"

Contact the Northern Jersey Region Tech guy (maybe
    Bill Etherington?)