Thread: Mazda RX-7 Build Questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Mazda RX-7 Build Questions

I am considering buying a caged 1st gen shell with a logbook to either put back to IT7 or ITA.

I have some concerns though, primarily how much work and money I'll really be spending to do this.

I put together a list of what I think I need, I still need to go see the car and he said he will throw in as much as he can. This list does not really include a legitimate engine build as I don't know how much to expect or what condition an engine I'd be getting would be in, I do know the seller is a huge rotary guy though and said he can help with a build.

Race car: $350.00
    Donor Car: $500-$800

Parts

Race suspension: $400 (Mazdaspeed IT kit $1098)
    Upper strut mount: $100.00 (fronts) rears?
    Idler arm (competition) $80.00
    Pitman arm: $130.00
    Rear links: $370.00
    Watts links plus competition mount: $160.00
    Clutch: $200.00
    Brake pads: $147.00 - $230.00
    Brake rotors: $80.00
    Brake master: $45.00
    Steering wheel: $70.00
    Hub: $60.00
    Harness: $70.00
    Padding: $30.00
    Transponder: $350.00 (rental)
    Wheels:
    Tires:
    Engine/Rebuild: $200 - $800.00
    Paint: $100.00
    Front control arms: $340.00 (complete + bushings)
    Tie Rods: $228
    Seat: $80.00 - $150.00
    Seat mounting: $40.00
    Seat back brace: $40.00
    Steel braided lines: $100.00
    Engine mod (exhaust, header, carb) $280 header, $100 air filter, $100 exhaust.
    Fuel pump/regulator/filter: $310.00
    Misc. $300.00

I got these prices primarily from Racing Beat, Mazdatrix, or RockAuto. I don't know RX-7 suspension that well but I'd assume a donor car wouldn't be mint and driving so I would assume most of the suspension needs to be replaced unless the suspension on the race car (it's currently a shell/slight roller I'm told) has good suspension.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Spending "new money" on a 1st generation RX7 makes zero sense. There are usable IT7s out there for sale for sale and they are only getting less expensive.

K

My thoughts exactly, I just didn't know if I was looking at this wrong and if there really was a chance to have this thing back on track for less than buying one already built.

I'd tend to agree with Kirk here. Those cars get no love for no good reason and the dollar seems to go very far on them...

assuming they are correct/close, what do your numbers add up to?
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

$3000+ and that's not even doing it right in my eyes. lol That's far too high of a number for such a project. I'd buy something decent and ready to go for that. I just don't know that much about them, specifically the suspension and what needs to be replaced on them. The shell supposedly needs a little body work, paint, and of course a lot of mechanical items, which I imagine a lot of which would be bad coming from a donor car that has been sitting outside.

All my research so far is saying no. It may be a good deal for a caged shell that cheap but everything else isn't looking reasonably priced.

yea and things tend to add up once you get into the project AND that's "paying" yourself nothing for your time... Unless you really want to build it yourself.

In regards to what to look for, look for a car that has the tri-link done and panhard bar. Do some reading on the forum... lots of good info about those cars on here.
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

If you change your mind on building and want a turnkey car that has all the goodies let me know. We may have one for sale here very shortly.

Simon - EM sent. I've got an 85 IT-A Rx-7 and 85 Street Car, so I think I'm down this road already. Look forward to talking with you... G-Man