Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Built my own little ballast system

Quote Originally Posted by TStiles View Post
    Here's a system that Drago sells :

http://mazdaracers.com/store/product/57-ballast-system/

I just use the ballast plates left over from my Spec Racer Ford. Bolts to the floorpan with a big backup plate. I guess I'm going to need to figure out something else when / if I build an STL motor and the weight goes up
    nice looking setup. smart on there part to offer the weights too and design it so you have to or should buy theirs. Dunno what weight costs... 22 a weight seems steep though and THEN you have to ship it. ALways pros and cons... I'd like to see a better pic, but I AM impressed at first glance.

Anyone use this?
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

That is a nice piece, but an easily fabbed piece?
    CFR STL #59 Civic

www.circuit-racer.com

check out this site for pre-drilled steel plates - specifically the 12"x12" plates in different thicknesses with 4 holes that could be used for running bolts through; comes in all shapes and sizes. Seems like this could be a good setup for a ballast system utilizing a base plate integrated into the OEM passenger seat location.

http://www.metalplatesource.com/inde...q0h2n2bb8anmv7
    STL Miata - 90 NA w/ 99 motor swap

I don't like the long threaded rod protruding, waiting to impale something/someone. On mine i have the same baseplate, but have drilled and tapped holes in it to bolt on additional plate(s). Just as fast to change ballast and a lot more compact.
    Dick Gagliardi
    LoopRacing Scirocco II
    H prod, Chicago Region SCCA

I'm about to delete that first picture i posted, i should have waited until I cut it to the appropriate length of the weights... jeebus. It will be no different than a long bolt when all is said and done; it will be cut so there is nothing sticking up and protruding out once I have the height of the weights measured.

I have also changed the design a little bit and I will have a 1/4" steel plate on top with a center hole for the 1" rod, and then a 1/2" hole on each corner of the square plate (4 total) where I will run a 1/2" bolt down through the bottom of the plate. These 1/2" bolts will run through the grip holes in the weights. The top plate and bottom plate with the 1" bolt in the center and 1/2" bolts on either corner going through will secure the weights in place and eliminate the issue of a single failure point. I'll post up some more pics later this week as I get everything cut and drilled.
    Last edited by smbstyle; 04-16-2012 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TStiles View Post
    Here's a system that Drago sells :

http://mazdaracers.com/store/product/57-ballast-system/

I just use the ballast plates left over from my Spec Racer Ford. Bolts to the floorpan with a big backup plate. I guess I'm going to need to figure out something else when / if I build an STL motor and the weight goes up
    Brings up a good point on all the added weight to rear wheel drive cars in STL. I think you'll see a movement to a regional version of STL with a lower weight for rear wheel drive cars....
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Quote Originally Posted by smbstyle View Post
    I'm about to delete that first picture i posted, i should have waited until I cut it to the appropriate length of the weights... jeebus. It will be no different than a long bolt when all is said and done; it will be cut so there is nothing sticking up and protruding out once I have the height of the weights measured.

I have also changed the design a little bit and I will have a 1/4" steel plate on top with a center hole for the 1" rod, and then a 1/2" hole on each corner of the square plate (4 total) where I will run a 1/2" bolt down through the bottom of the plate. These 1/2" bolts will run through the grip holes in the weights. The top plate and bottom plate with the 1" bolt in the center and 1/2" bolts on either corner going through will secure the weights in place and eliminate the issue of a single failure point. I'll post up some more pics later this week as I get everything cut and drilled.
    You are fine man, Im sure the final product will be good.

I think Im going to have to do something similar....sucks that Im at 2100 lbs with a full tank of gas needing to weigh in at 2430 empty with my fat ass. 3 45 lb plates on a setup like yours should do it.
    CFR STL #59 Civic

www.circuit-racer.com

Quote Originally Posted by coreyehcx View Post
    You are fine man, Im sure the final product will be good.

I think Im going to have to do something similar....sucks that Im at 2100 lbs with a full tank of gas needing to weigh in at 2430 empty with my fat ass. 3 45 lb plates on a setup like yours should do it.
    Shouldn't you only have to come in at 2370 with a 1.8L? I thought FWD cars get a 2.5% reduction from the base weight (2430), because I know RWD cars have to add 2.5% to the base weight, making me have to come in at 2490.

Quote Originally Posted by smbstyle View Post
    Shouldn't you only have to come in at 2370 with a 1.8L? I thought FWD cars get a 2.5% reduction from the base weight (2430), because I know RWD cars have to add 2.5% to the base weight, making me have to come in at 2490.
    Strut FWD cars get -2.5%. Civics/'Tegs/etc with a-arms are -0.

GA