Thread: Built my own little ballast system

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Built my own little ballast system

I got this idea off of another STL driver at the last race at Palm Beach; it's easy to take out of the car if need be, weight can be added/removed quickly. It is 1/4" thick steel plate in the center, 1/8" thick steel beams on either side that mount directly to the stock seat track locations, and a steel Gold's Gym threaded dumbell handle welded to the 1/4" thick steel base plate. I will be using barbel weight plates, and right now I'm about 85lbs under weight, so I've got a few plates to add. The next step is to drill a hole through the threaded center section after I have the weights on in order to put a cotter pin through it so the nut can't back out. I'm also planning on having it powdercoated next.

What do you all think about this? I liked this idea a lot better than drilling a bunch of holes into the car, and I can easily add and remove weight as I modify the car.

STL Miata - 90 NA w/ 99 motor swap

You will have to drill lots of holes to make sure the nut can
    t back off too far.
    I would drill at least a few, but I'd double nut it. The interference can really lock things down.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Off the top of my head, I would say that is not technically legal. Though imho that is fantastic!
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

Quote Originally Posted by CRallo View Post
    Off the top of my head, I would say that is not technically legal. Though imho that is fantastic!
    No technical limitations to ballast design/placement in Super Touring. Just make sure it's safe!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    No technical limitations to ballast design/placement in Super Touring. Just make sure it's safe!

Definitely the top priority!

I was considering drilling a hole through each weight plate in the same location that lines up with a hole in the base plate, and then running a huge bolt through them and through the base plate, but I dont know if that would help anymore, or be considered "overkill".

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Gotcha. Good to know, wish it was that way across the board...
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

Are you sure you want that big rod sticking up in the passenger side if you need to get out in a hurry and want to use the passenger door?
    Jim Hardesty
    ITC 1986 Honda Civic Diablo Rojo Verde
    Never argue your tab at the end of the night. Remember, you're hammered and they’re sober.

Quote Originally Posted by CRallo View Post
    I know for SM it's definitely not, but the chief of tech was the one that pointed out the other STL driver's ballast system similar to mine as a "good idea" for me, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    You will have to drill lots of holes to make sure the nut can
    t back off too far.
    I would drill at least a few, but I'd double nut it. The interference can really lock things down.
    Good call, will do!