Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Head and Neck system

Well, my new Kon... er, Nistun... er, Hoosi... er, I mean Necksgen will be here tomorrow - I'll get to use it in anger in a couple of weeks at VIR. I'll write up a report once I've tried it out. I do have some muskles, but they're hiding under the moobs; hopefully there will be no bruising.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post

Just another thing to have to accommodate. I do miss my on-grid sleepy-time, though...

GA
    On-grid sleepy time is the best!!!!
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    . I do miss my on-grid sleepy-time, though...

GA

In the afternoon qualifying session this past weekend I was gridded first. I had put my head back and apparently feel asleep to the drone of the SRFs........... I woke up to dead silence, looked to my left and EVERYONE was belted in with helmets on........ I FREAKED!! Fortunately there was some clean up to do from the SRF and I had time to get everything on. Not a great way to wake up!!

If you've got radios, video, data acquisition, etc......along with the H&N, it does take a long time to get ready.
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Quote Originally Posted by JLawton View Post
    In the afternoon qualifying session this past weekend I was gridded first. I had put my head back and apparently feel asleep to the drone of the SRFs........... I woke up to dead silence, looked to my left and EVERYONE was belted in with helmets on........ I FREAKED!! Fortunately there was some clean up to do from the SRF and I had time to get everything on. Not a great way to wake up!!

If you've got radios, video, data acquisition, etc......along with the H&N, it does take a long time to get ready.
    from now on,they will be serving coffee/tea on the grid to help avoid these embarassing moments........LOL

Quote Originally Posted by BruceG View Post
    from now on,they will be serving coffee/tea on the grid to help avoid these embarassing moments........LOL
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by JLawton View Post

Good one! Glad to see you were that relaxed though! Hey, that is better than waking up to the one minute whistle!!
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

Although my own race weekend was cut short due to engine problems I did get enough time on track to make me really miss my ISAAC. I picked the Hybrid Pro Rage although I don't think that choice made a difference as all these devices share common issues.

Having to now rely on a yoke type device secured by the harness means I no longer feel comfortable waiting to the 3 to tighten down the straps and throw on the helmet. Just too much concern to make sure the belts are aligned properly. But more importantly I never felt like I could get the shoulder belts (and therefore my torso) as tight as before. On track I actually felt a lot less comfortable (safe) and a little more detached from the car. So aside from worried about my head popping off I am now also worried about sliding around in the seat.
    ~Matt Rowe
    ITA Dodge Neon
    NEDiv

You guys will get used to it. I have been using a HANS since 2004. I get into the car at the 5, and at that time turn the radio/camera on, put window net up, steering wheel on, cool suit hooked up, belts on w/HANS, but don't put my helmet and gloves on until the 3.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rowe View Post
    Although my own race weekend was cut short due to engine problems I did get enough time on track to make me really miss my ISAAC. I picked the Hybrid Pro Rage although I don't think that choice made a difference as all these devices share common issues.

Having to now rely on a yoke type device secured by the harness means I no longer feel comfortable waiting to the 3 to tighten down the straps and throw on the helmet. Just too much concern to make sure the belts are aligned properly. But more importantly I never felt like I could get the shoulder belts (and therefore my torso) as tight as before. On track I actually felt a lot less comfortable (safe) and a little more detached from the car. So aside from worried about my head popping off I am now also worried about sliding around in the seat.
    \

On the other hand, reread, carefully, the May 12 Fastrack wording regarding hNRs
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Thanks Jake, certainly an interesting response from the CRB, it makes me wonder what the request is. In principle it would appear that I could throw the SFI certified device in the car and use something else. Technically I have the approved device and as long as I don't attract the attention of tech then no one is obligated to stop me. Not an ideal approach though.
    ~Matt Rowe
    ITA Dodge Neon
    NEDiv

I wanted to give a quick update on the second weekend with the NextGen. I spent a lot of time in the car so I got very used to it. 5-6 sessions running with the school, qualifying and three races.

I can't say "I love it" because It's much easier/comfortable to not wear one but it certainly is a non-issue. In one session i got it all on with plenty of time after the three minute warning. Had no problems getting the belts in place or the tethers attached. Very comfortable. Two thumbs up!
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Irrelevant whether I am comfortable or not, based upon last weeks performance at
    NHMS I will not complain about the Hans again, Head on, concrete wall 50 to 60, no
    head or neck injuries at all. The car on the other hand.......
    Dan Deyo
    92 Acura Integra
    ITA #94

I have used a HANS a few weekend and I don't see it as a big deal. I clip the HANS to the helmet and then put them both on together, then I get in the car and hook up the harness, etc. I can do it all myself if necessary. Then I sit in the car and wait until it's time to go, and yes I've fallen asleep on the false grid too...
    Washington DC Region
    Scuderia Tortuga
    MARRS ITC Scirocco #12

I got the chance to try out my Necksgen a few weeks ago at VIR. No problem at all putting it on - although I find it easier to put everything on after I'm in the car, just as Jeff described - and once I was on track I never knew it was there. I did also have a bruise on one shoulder - no pain or soreness, just a bruise. No worse than a day at the shooting range to be sure.

I also didn't get a chance to test it in action - I'll try harder next time I promise - but expect it would work as well as any of the others. Overall I'm happy with it, would certainly recommend it, although I would still go back to my ISAAC in a minute if given the option.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5