Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Head and Neck system

Default Head and Neck system

Gentlemen are we alowed to us a system called NextGen instead of the " HANS" ?

Yes. Any SFI 38.1 rated device is ok.

As is any FIA rated device no?
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Quote Originally Posted by shwah View Post
    As is any FIA rated device no?
    Correct you are sir.

Manny, I'm just about to put my order in for one of the NecksGen units. The general belief is that they are made by the same guys who used to make the Defnder.
    Last edited by erlrich; 04-12-2012 at 10:35 AM.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

Quote Originally Posted by shwah View Post
    As is THE FIA rated device no?
    fixed

Quote Originally Posted by erlrich View Post
    Correct you are sir.

Manny, I'm just about to put my order in for one of the NecksGen units. The general belief is that they are made by the same guys who used to make the Defnder.

It is. Very similar device. Same address listed. corny/clever name and catch phrase... not that the latter part means anything, but I HAD to comment
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

Quote Originally Posted by erlrich View Post
    Correct you are sir.

Same address, same phone.
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

I've got one (just delivered to me) if anyone near Columbus, Ohio wants to check one out prior to ordering. I'm very happy with the initial look/feel of it. I really liked the $599 price tag. I especially like that it isn't a hans.
    Matt Downing
    1995 Honda Civic EX Coupe - ITA
    Ohio Valley Region, SCCA

Quote Originally Posted by downingracing View Post
    I've got one (just delivered to me) if anyone near Columbus, Ohio wants to check one out prior to ordering. I'm very happy with the initial look/feel of it. I really liked the $599 price tag. I especially like that it isn't a hans.
    + + + + +

BTW, I'll let everone know when my Hybrid arrives so you can check that out, also.
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

Yup, just got my NextGen on Monday. Seems fairly easy to get in and out of, attached to the helmet or after the helmet is on.
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Hybrid Pro just arrived! Mount to helmet in the morning!!!!!
    92 ITA Saturn

Bill,

not sure what helmet you have but it was quite difficult to push my mounting plates between the shell and the lining.

this video helped me know what to do. and i think i worked harder than the kid in the vid.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZgunSvhOEA&feature=player_embedded[/ame]
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Thanks, Tom. My Helmet is a Bell M4. Pretty tight fit between the shell and the lining, but I think it will work.
    92 ITA Saturn

Default Head & Neck Restraints

OK, here are the pics of the new Hybrid H&NR. Installation was relatively easy, once I figured out that you had to take the helmet off to drill the holes! Just kidding. The angles will be different when wearing the device in the car. It will definitely be interesting adjusting the teathers correctly - a two person job for sure.

Well, fudge, no pictures - too large to upload. Will try again later.
    92 ITA Saturn

well today i'll be putting in my order for the NecksGen will let you know how it feels, thank you for all of your input.

Used my NextGen for the first time this weekend. I've only used an ISAAC in the past so no input compared to a HANs.

it took me awhile to figure out the procedure to get it on but once I did, it was fairly easy. I put the device on, put the shoulder belts on, then helmet. It was fairly easy to clip in. A little easier than the ISAAC. The sliding teathers worked well and it was easy to release. I never noticed it while out on the track.

The cons: It may have been inexperience but I did miss one of the sholuder belts over the device and it ended up underneith. Didn't realize it until I took the harness off. But I'm much more aware of the problem now so I was more careful after. The ends of the device where it rests on the chest left a slight bruise......... and I am FAR from having a big chest so I'm not sure how it would sit on someone big. I also had one time where one of the clips didn't clip all the way in. Again, may not be a problem once I use it more. Just an FYI, I do this by myself. I don't have help getting hooked up in the car.

Over all I'm happy with the ease of getting into it which was important to me since i don't get help.
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

The ends of the device where it rests on the chest left a slight bruise.........
    Wow. In a sprint race no less. Any enduro driver takers? LOL That's unfortunately.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

I for one was not a happy camper about the new HNR requirement, but I did purchase a HANS. I tried it out a couple weeks ago at a WDCR PDX/TT event and it seemed to be OK during 2 short sessions while shaking the car down.
    This past weekend was the first MARRS event, so I got to experience the whole procedure while sitting on the grid. It has altered my routine a bit, which always starts with securing the door net. Of course I completely forgot about that until I was fully attached to the car! Luckily our grid folks are on the ball and I got someone's attention to get the net, and someone else was coming by each driver to make sure our helmet chin straps were OK and to remind us to check that the HANS and belts were properly in place.
    It did however take the full 5 minute warning to strap in, double check everything and clear my mind.
    I have to say I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't even notice the HANS once we got going and had no issue with moving my head side to side or seeing my mirrors, so I can't complain, other than the expense, but who needs new tires?
    Art Jaso
    Former 1989 Toyota MR2 #55 ITB
    DC Region SCCA
    DC Region Board of Directors
    Coordinator of Racers Helping Racers Fund
    http://www.racershelpingracers.com/
    PDX/TT Committee Member
    PDX Co-Chief of Grid
    PDX Chief Technical Inspector
    SCCA Pit Marshall
    SCCA Pace Car
    SCCA F & C
    Producer of "Racing Summit Point" Video
    http://vimeo.com/67177646

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    Wow. In a sprint race no less. Any enduro driver takers? LOL That's unfortunately.
    Naa, that was after 6 sessions during the test, a 2o minute and 25 minute qualifying then according to my DL-1 I was moving 50+ minutes (it was a 45 minute race plus warm up lap, cool down lap, victory lap, into inpound)

Maybe it was bad because I don't have any chest muscles??
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    i got the Hybrid Pro Rage. wore it for a 1.5 hours stint at a LeMons race this past weekend. worked really well with regards to comfort.

i have trouble clipping it with the helmet on (not very coordinated) and so had decided to clip first and then put it on sort of like pulling it over my head like a t-shirt.

worked fine until we broke one of the two earpieces for the radio and then we were trying to flip the one remaining between drivers so had to get help.

should not be an issue by myself on a normal race weekend.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

I've been using an older HANS for a couple years now (since we went to 2" shoulder belts) and I've noticed a significant increase in the amount of time to prep. Whereas before I used to relax with my helmet off until the "3 minute", now I get nearly-panicked if I'm not fully bolted-in by the 5. That's especially an issue if they don't give us a "5" and instead go directly to the "3" (like they did this past weekend for the quallies...)

Just another thing to have to accommodate. I do miss my on-grid sleepy-time, though...

GA