Thread: Honda CRX Si Brake Woes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Been there, done that. Maybe not as tight as yours. Started to feel it at 1/2 lap at Mid-Ohio. Was able to make it back to pit lane using heavy throttle. Rolled fine when it cooled. Scratched head, then repeated next session. Finished the weekend without issue after just a pedal height adjustment.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Yep, did the same thing in my CRX... made it half a lap around Roebling Road (took the emergency road back to the paddock). This'll put some serious heat into the system but I highly doubt you heat soaked the bearings enough to cook anything. In fact, I'm betting that they weren't anywhere near as hot as the temps you see after 30 min on track. Think about it, tou mention that you could work on the system 10 min after parking the car. Think you could do the same just as quickly after a race?

Christian
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

Took the front system apart of the weekend. I did a lot less damage then I thought. The system did not get super hot. The brake pads are a little cooked and the rotors contact surface isn't to happy but overall not bad.

The right front caliper dust boot was iffy so replaced the piston seals on both front calipers. Ended up rubber banding a piece of siran wrap to the master cylinder from the advice of a friend to keep the fluid in. Worked like a charm. Only lost the fluid in the calipers. Bled the system through some after reassembly and it feels good again.

Ended up turning the booster piston two full turns to get to pedal slop. It was hard to tell early on since the clevis pin also had some slop in it which was consuming some of the pedal travel.

The only concern I have is that the pedal travel and stiffness feels good. the system works well as far as stopping power. But the pedal feels like I hit a hard stop at the base of the travel. the pedal travels right up until a abrupt stop that almost feels mechanical. I am wondering if my booster adjustment was to much but the pedal travel is not terrible. The pads on the car are practically new thickness though so once they wear in some more I will be able to tell more. Something I just have to watch.

Tested this past Tuesday at Gingerman. Brakes felt great compared to what they were end of last season. I could actually get the front end to pitch down and load up and I didn't feel like I was on roller skates at the end of straights. System has enough power not that I locked up the front end going into 1 which I haven't been able to do in a while. This was using the brake pads and rotors that I seized up with last week. I will be putting new rotors and pads on for this weekend.

Thanks everyone! Really appears to have been the booster.

Now I just need to find my balls again. Tuesday they were somewhere in turn 6-7 combination or turn 11; Grattan I have feeling they will be in turn 1, 3, or 8.