Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WMR "Unrestricted" Double Regional at Grattan on 5/26, 5/27

Quote Originally Posted by Spinnetti View Post
    Still mulling it over... I was top 5 before anyway - just couldn't win when the top guys were there. I'd end up with the top guy running away, and everybody else behind with me alone in the middle... It was hard to hit minimum weight, and hard to add back huge amounts of lead! I haven't stopped racing, just SCCA.. Trying to determine if the extra hurdles are worth it. Your all's feedback makes it look like it might be worth giving it another go. I'll get with Dayle off line and see if I can get it together. A hans is the biggest limit right now as my car budget was already chewed up for new wheels and tires for the other car.
    If your head fits a G-Force Med/Lrg you are welcome to borrow my Helmet and Defndr. As long as you promise not to sweat in it too much.

I'm not able to attend the race and shipping is probably too expensive to make it worthwhile, but I'm sure we could find someone making the trip north for the race.
    Jim Hardesty
    ITC 1986 Honda Civic Diablo Rojo Verde
    Never argue your tab at the end of the night. Remember, you're hammered and they’re sober.

Quote Originally Posted by jumbojimbo View Post
    If your head fits a G-Force Med/Lrg you are welcome to borrow my Helmet and Defndr. As long as you promise not to sweat in it too much.

I'm not able to attend the race and shipping is probably too expensive to make it worthwhile, but I'm sure we could find someone making the trip north for the race.
    Jim,

very generous and gracious of you to offer.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Quote Originally Posted by jumbojimbo View Post

That is very generous... I'd feel bad about bumming it from you though. I'll hit the web and see if I can come up with something.

Dave,

from another site and not confirmed with LeMons but the H&NR might be in your future at LeMons as well. you might want to move up this purchase and double dip at NASA, MWSCC, SCCA, etc.

Originally Posted by Jay Lamm, 24 Hours of Lemons Grand Poobah
    Why You Want a Real Head-and-Neck Restraint
    Today's sermon: safety. Now that we've outlawed piano-wire shoulder harnesses and are keeping Judge Phil off the track, what's the next best thing you can do to be safer? Wear a legit head-and-neck restraint.

Here's why: In an impact, your corpulent body remains strapped to the seat while your big, helmet-wrapped melon keeps moving. That can put terrible, even potentially fatal loads on the fragile, life-sustaining vertebrae, nerves, and muscles connecting your head to your body. Used correctly, a legit head-and-neck restraint limits those motions tremendously better than the bare-minimum-required, mostly-for-comfort foam neck roll.

Some series mandate these highly effective devices; some don't. And because they're expensive ($595+, though a whole team can usually share one), LeMons still leaves the choice up to you. There's no question you should use a head-and-neck restraint, though: It's a much better investment than wide wheels, that 10-gallon bottle of Jaeger, and everything else that you're already spending that money on.

We want to encourage all racers to step up to these systems. So, while pricing is set by the factory--you're generally stuck paying MSRP everywhere--we've convinced IOPort Racing to throw in some Get Out of the Penalty Box cards and bucks-off certificates on future purchases with each head-and-neck restraint bought for LeMons. IOPort's LeMons-only safety page is live now: You must be a registered team member to order.

Quote Originally Posted by tom91ita View Post
    Dave,

from another site and not confirmed with LeMons but the H&NR might be in your future at LeMons as well. you might want to move up this purchase and double dip at NASA, MWSCC, SCCA, etc.
    Yeah, I know about that too. More of a money thing right now. I really want to run the Corolla once this year to see if I should sell it or do more club racing, but money is getting tight (just bought a new CNC mill). I might see if my buddy Don wants to split getting one.

You really should bring 'er out for ITB - truly a great place to run!!

Heck, come down to Mid-O for the Grand-Am race in July!!! Already shows to be quite a good ITB field...
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Quote Originally Posted by 924Guy View Post
    You really should bring 'er out for ITB - truly a great place to run!!

Heck, come down to Mid-O for the Grand-Am race in July!!! Already shows to be quite a good ITB field...
    Both the events and the tracks are a draw for me. Grattan is my favorite track, and I love the kink and Mid-O.

I'm one of those wierdo's that is more into the car than the competition. I ran very well in ITA, and no doubt can in ITB, but I'm not strapping on more weight and running skinnier wheels regardless of where I'd finish. Only question is, do I go to another club, Switch classes or sell it? Its optimized for IT already. Maybe I just need to do one of the pre-event test and tunes, either at Mid-O or Grattan to see if I get fired back up and where I'd fall in lap times. Motor swap and run STL? My wife is getting on me about having two race cars, one of which I'm not driving, so gotta get rid of one by the end of next season.

Sounds right... did you notice the cheap test day associated with the driver's school at Gingerman? $75...
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Dave,

there has been a PDX at Mid-O prior to the IT fest the past couple of years. that would be decent.

i think the grand am weekend is June though. should see you at Autobahn that weekend (conflicts with LeMons).

the Grand Am weekend looks great otherwise.

There is a track day the day before Grattan too. I think it is $120 for full day, $100 for half. Wouldn't require a H&N. Bet you could get tons of laps. And you could stay for Sat and see the SCCA races.

http://www.grattanraceway.com/schedule.html
    Jim Hardesty
    ITC 1986 Honda Civic Diablo Rojo Verde
    Never argue your tab at the end of the night. Remember, you're hammered and they’re sober.

Thanks for all the replies... Grattan is quite a haul, but is my favorite. I'm thinking a pre-race track day at MO might be the best option without me having to replace a bunch of gear just for the trial. Heck, I'm tempted to take the Lemon out there to see how my lap times compare!

bump for a good event.

got my car teched last night. forgot my gear.......... it was at my house and not with the car/trailer following the gingerman LeMons event....

paid on line last night and fresh tires arrived yesterday. hope it does not rain as i have no proper rain tires.

looking forward to it.

if you were not here, you missed a great event. great food again on saturday night.

first time in a long time i remember having a bona fide practice session, which worked out well.

i had bought new Hankooks and used the practice session to try and scrub/heat cycle the new tires.

so format was 3 sessions saturday: practice, qualifying and race. on Sunday, there was a 7 lap qualfying race and a 15 lap sanction race.

^
    What he said.

Always: great track, great food, great workers.
    This year: great weather, great racing in my class.

Anybody know the outcome of the Miata that rolled across turn 1?
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Ya a yellow flag the entire race that prevented me from passing at the end of the straight away for 12 laps.

I saw the driver at the car after the race I believe. He was just shook up.

My first event in a while with good function brakes. Defended 2nd place in ITA most of the race Saturday (lots of fun! ) and attacked Tony's ITB accord all race Sunday. 12 laps of getting to his front door down the straight away but could not finish the pass due to the yellow in 1. Live and learn I should have concentrated on a good run out of 8 to beat him to 1.