Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watkins Glen Info please

Default Watkins Glen Info please

I'll be racing for the first time at Watkins Glen in the end of May. I've basically turned my car trailer into a redneck camper with heat/air, a microwave, and a fold down bed so that I can sleep in the trailer in the paddock on race weekends. Can anyone tell me about the availability of electric hookups in the paddock (and what plug is needed) and also if there are showers available?
    Steve Beckley
    Walkersville MD
    MARRS #87 ITB MR2

Showers yes. There might be some access to power in the paddock, but they have campgrounds at WGI. Someone else will have to comment further...
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

The only power plugs I know of at the Glen are in the motorhome area right behind pit lane that is set up for the NASCAR Prevosts and the like. I do not believe they let trailers in there.

Best bet is to bring a generator.
    Rob Foley
    Race: ITB '87 CRX Si
    Autocross: GP '86 Civic Si

What rob said. Also the showers are awesome but make sure you ask for a map and take a car... If you walk you will think you walked far enough to be in a new time zone!

Stephen

PS: Glen long is an awesome track. You WILL love it!

We camped there last fall and had power right adjacent to where they grid up cars. It was very close to the garages, however it was on gravel.

Thanks for the input everyone. One last question... the event is Memorial Day weekend. But there is only racing on Saturday and Sunday. Will they kick everyone out of the paddock Sunday night, or will we be able to camp in the paddock Sunday night and leave Monday morning?
    Steve Beckley
    Walkersville MD
    MARRS #87 ITB MR2

Does anyone have a link to the supps/entry form for this weekend @ Watkins Glen? Thanks!
    Matt Downing
    1995 Honda Civic EX Coupe - ITA
    Ohio Valley Region, SCCA

Quote Originally Posted by downingracing View Post
    Does anyone have a link to the supps/entry form for this weekend @ Watkins Glen? Thanks!
    http://www.glen-scca.org/RoadRacing/2012/MayTestDay.pdf

http://www.glen-scca.org/RoadRacing/2012/MaySupps.pdf

http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.c...1FB3B6ED9493E0

"Per WGI, no two-wheeled vehicles may be operated in the Paddock, Garage or Pits during racing hours except by operating officials" Looks like I'll be bringing Kyle's ATV......
    Last edited by dhardison; 04-06-2012 at 10:04 AM.
    Dan
    2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 Great Lakes Division ITB Champion

Quote Originally Posted by steve b View Post
    Thanks for the input everyone. One last question... the event is Memorial Day weekend. But there is only racing on Saturday and Sunday. Will they kick everyone out of the paddock Sunday night, or will we be able to camp in the paddock Sunday night and leave Monday morning?
    From the supps:

7. Everyone must be off the track property by 8:00pm Sunday.
    Dan
    2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 Great Lakes Division ITB Champion

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    What rob said. Also the showers are awesome but make sure you ask for a map and take a car... If you walk you will think you walked far enough to be in a new time zone!

Stephen

PS: Glen long is an awesome track. You WILL love it!
    "Awesome"? Compared to Lime Rock, maybe!
    Also, bring quarters, as they need them to turn on, at least they did when I last used them.

Power IS available in the big paved paddock, but it's limited and you need to get there early to grab it.
    If you bring a generator, I hope it's a quiet one.
    Also, The Glen in late May can be hot, cold, wet dry. In the same day.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Registration is suspended?
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Quote Originally Posted by raffaelli View Post
    Means it is being set up it will be back!
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

"Awesome"? Compared to Lime Rock, maybe!
    Thank you! I was like WTF? Really? Where are these showers?

Steve, my biggest advice is not racing "per se" related. Visit the Watkins Glen State Park. I'm amazed at how many racers just stay at the track and miss this. Also go towards the lake. Like German Vineyards? Or another type of winery? TONS of stuff to check out.
    Last edited by gran racing; 04-07-2012 at 08:48 AM.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

sorry I was comparing it to tracks I have taken a shower at. NHMS, LRP, POC, MID OHIO, SUMMIT, ROAD ATLANTA. NJMP would be the 1 exception that is better.

I hear ya Stephen, yea, although NH isn't bad, can be pretty decent, depending on which ones you choose. And you don't need to get out to put in more quarters!~
    NJMP is pretty good.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Don't need quarters at the glen, just turn the knob and it will work.
    P.s. the showers are on the outfield of the track. If you are heading out towards the entrance, turn right after the tunnel and left at the first intersection. Drive approximately 1 mile and they are on the right in a little out building....bring flip flops
    #72 ITE Scirocco
    NARRC ITE champion 2011

Talking Registration open

Quote Originally Posted by raffaelli View Post
    Registration now open for May madness!
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

Car and driver are no where near ready... Tons to get done to make the event, but I'm registered!!! Really looking forward to running the Glen! Always wanted to come up for a race - what a cool track!!! Thanks to Dan Hardison talking me into it - We will be at the test day to try and figure out where the track goes!

Matt Downing
    ITA #14 - Ohio Valley Region
    Matt Downing
    Ohio Valley Region, SCCA

Exhaust re-work under way. New body parts being installed (not all, but some). Actually purhcased a tach to replace the one that broke a year ago. Brakes ordered. Tires ordered. H&N device delivered and being installed on the helmet. Nut/Bolt check with fluid change under way... I love racing a Honda - as close to the easy button as you can get.
    Matt Downing
    Ohio Valley Region, SCCA

Just a heads-up. If you use their showers, wear rubber flip flops or something similar. A fews years back, I hit the showers after a race day, the floors are concrete, and ending up slipping on the concrete floor and split my elbow open. I still raced the following day, but it was kind of hard bending my elbow to fasten the HANS - wasn't much fun......