Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IT-Miata Shootout @ Mid-Ohio June 8-10 *Grand-Am Weekend*

Default IT-Miata Shootout @ Mid-Ohio June 8-10 *Grand-Am Weekend*

Registration is open for this event on MotorsportsReg.com. This looks like a great weekend with track time each day and Grand-Am racing in between. Also, ITR is included, which I seem to recall was a point of discussion last year. Who's going??
    Dave Ellenwood
    ITB Jetta
    SCCA Ohio Valley Region
    [email protected]

I am signed up. Few other (3) 5:01 guys too (the Datsuns). Was a blast last fall. We had around 50 cars all weekend. Note since this is a Pro weekend we run the pro circuit so no kink between turn 1 & 2.

Really looking forward to it again. And this year we get prime time running on Saturday! Last year we had morning qualifying Saturday at 9 AM followed by Continental Tire series and Grand Am so there was really no one watching yet. Looks like this year we qualify in between the pro series races so fans will accidently be watching us!

yea... schedule last year was so so, but beggars can't be choosers right? lol Do we race while they are still on the property?
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

Kinda bummed now. I have made other plans since I expected ITR to be exluded again. I had posted multiple times and sent a few e-mails trying to find out about ITR this year, and didn't get any responses so I assumed we were locked out again. Oh well, the 4 of us are all going to do LRP that weekend instead this year but maybe next year if they do it again.

To whom it may concern... please let us know if the ITR thing works out. Next year I would like to go but I (other drivers and crew) need to plan vacation time to make the trip.

Stephen

The schedule looks really good. Over three hours of track time for $250.00 AND we get to rub elbows with the pro teams. Very cool!

For those who attended last year, where do all the SCCA folks paddock? Are we restricted to a certain area?

Also, with two qualifying sessions and two qualifying races, how will the grid for the final points race be set? Will it be the average of your finish in the two qualifying races? I did not see how this would be handled in the supps.

DE
    Dave Ellenwood
    ITB Jetta
    SCCA Ohio Valley Region
    [email protected]

Woohoo! I was there last year and had the best racing of my life. I'm very tempted to jump in on this one.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Quote Originally Posted by S2_ITBVW View Post
    For those who attended last year, where do all the SCCA folks paddock? Are we restricted to a certain area?
    DE
    We were restricted to the lower "grassy" paddock adjacent to the chain link fence area where the Mid-O school cars are parked. Over by the the shower/toilet building. The area will be roped/taped off (or at least it was last year).
    Dan
    2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 Great Lakes Division ITB Champion

I guess I won't exactly be shocked if all the ITR cars now don't show up this year. Not the first time I've heard "If you'd do XYZ, we'd all be there!". But hey, either way we tried to accomodate. Stephen - I was the RE last year and am still on the BOD this year, and no ITR competitors ever asked me. And I realize that people need to ask off work well ahead of time, but I doubt I even could've answered that question for sure until about mid-February. Expecting a June event to be written in stone any earlier than that is a bit much.

Quote Originally Posted by darthmonkeyIT View Post
    And this year we get prime time running on Saturday! Last year we had morning qualifying Saturday at 9 AM followed by Continental Tire series and Grand Am so there was really no one watching yet. Looks like this year we qualify in between the pro series races so fans will accidently be watching us!
    Also, with two qualifying sessions and two qualifying races, how will the grid for the final points race be set? Will it be the average of your finish in the two qualifying races? I did not see how this would be handled in the supps.
    Check that schedule again fellas, we're racing Saturday afternoon in front of the big crowd! I wasn't gonna let that opportunity go by with just another boring qualifying session.

Here's our sessions.
    Friday:
    5:20-5:50pm - Qualifying #1

Saturday:
    3:05-3:20pm - 10 Lap Race #1

Sunday:
    9:10-9:40am - Qualifying #2
    12:50-1:20pm - 10 Lap Race #2
    3:15-4:00pm - 19 Laps Trophy Race

Obviously Q1 sets the grid for R1, and subsequently Q2 for R2. The grid for the Trophy Race (which is a full GLDiv points race with tech and all!) will most likely be set by average finishing position from R1 & R2, with fastest lap time in either race deciding ties.

Also keep in mind that your $250 entry fee gets you and your crew (up to 3) credentials to the entire weekend, which otherwise would've cost you around $50 per person. I always take my RV and some friends up for this event just to hangout and drink beer anyways, so to me, this is almost like I get to race that weekend too for like no additional mony! Right now my plan is to bring the ITA Integra, complete with a new LSD & FD that I'm dying to try out.
    Last edited by R2 Racing; 04-04-2012 at 03:43 PM.
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

Kevin, I tried to find out multiple times. not sure why it was a hard decision but you guys made the right decision! Even if no-one goes this year please keep the ITR group in mind for next year. I love your track and to be honest I love the racers out that way. The IT fest still remains one of my favorite in the last 10years. For us travel is long and far.

I have to give you HUGE props for a $250 entry fee! That saves me enough gas money to make it almost equal to attending the grand-am race at NJMP. Great job! I am sure the event will go great! Also a BIG + to calling it what it is and building on both the IT and Miata run group names.

Sad that I most likely will not make it, but I may try to convince the family and friends.

Stephen

Wow, that sure is a pretty great price, given the event - good job!

Too bad it would be the 3rd weekend in a row for me, and only the weekend after the Mid-O Double National... or I'd try to convince the wife to run it...
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Quote Originally Posted by 924Guy View Post
    Too bad it would be the 3rd weekend in a row for me...
    So you're coming to the Grattan regional?
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)

No - Waterford Race 1 instead, followed by the Mid-O 2ble Nat... and the first is with both racecars, ITB and DSR!
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Don't be a weenie. I'm doing Mid Ohio double national, Mid Ohio Grand-Am regional, and The June Sprints in three straight weekend.
    Kevin
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

Quote Originally Posted by R2 Racing View Post
    Don't be a weenie. I'm doing Mid Ohio double national, Mid Ohio Grand-Am regional, and The June Sprints in three straight weekend.
    Sounds like you're free for the Grattan regional
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)

LOL!

Well, given that my DSR has been completely torn down and 50% redesigned over the winter... I'm not being a weenie, just trying to not overextend myself. After all, it has yet to show that it can run a full National race distance in anger, at full pace, without turning into a fireball! (The only Nat I ran last year, Regional too, were mixed conditions...)

So it's a bit ambitious to think I can even survive two races back-to-back, at the double, with an unproven car... would love to think I could go down there and pick up another lap record, but... odds are not good...
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Well, I showed it to the boss, and she's rather keen on the idea... though the schedule's a bitch. We'll see how it goes, may very well end up there anyway if the cars hold up...
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Kevin Ruck (or anyone who knows) is there a limit to the number of crew members we can have at this event? On MotorsportsReg it indicates the usual $10.00 charge for each crew member over the typical 3 that we can have for our registration fee. If I want my boys to come (crew members #4 and #5) do I just need to pay the extra $20?

Thanks!

DE
    Dave Ellenwood
    ITB Jetta
    SCCA Ohio Valley Region
    [email protected]

Kevin Ruck (or anyone who knows) is there a limit to the number of crew members we can have at this event? On MotorsportsReg it indicates the usual $10.00 charge for each crew member over the typical 3 that we can have for our registration fee. If I want my boys to come (crew members #4 and #5) do I just need to pay the extra $20?

Thanks!

DE
    That's the way it was last year (and for all OVR races for that matter). I usually sign up the three free members via MotorsportsReg.com, then just add any additional crew when I personally register at the track. That way they can pay the $10 themselves when they arrive and if they don't show I haven't wasted the $$$.
    Dan
    2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 Great Lakes Division ITB Champion

The official schedule for this weekend is posted here:

http://www.grand-am.com/schedule/eve...ies=r&eid=3439

This looks way, way cool. Perhaps the niftiest part is the fact that we will be on track qualifying immediately before the Rolex race, which means lots and lots of folks will indeed be "accidently" watching us.

13 racers are registered thus far at motorsportsreg.com . . .
    Dave Ellenwood
    ITB Jetta
    SCCA Ohio Valley Region
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle7 View Post
    Sounds like you're free for the Grattan regional
    Gonna be at/in a wedding for one of my best friends that weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by dhardison View Post
    That's the way it was last year (and for all OVR races for that matter). I usually sign up the three free members via MotorsportsReg.com, then just add any additional crew when I personally register at the track. That way they can pay the $10 themselves when they arrive and if they don't show I haven't wasted the $$$.
    What Dan said.

Ordered my new go-fast parts for the ITA car yesterday, hoping to make it's front end work closer to the FP cars (i.e. good). If it works how I'm hoping, and with the track having an insane amount of Hoosier R6 compound scrubbed into the it (Rolex & CTSCC "Continental" tires), I'm really looking forward to seeing how it goes there!
    Kevin
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX