Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cams?

Quote Originally Posted by Flyinglizard View Post
    Chip 42, what is not legal??
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyinglizard
    Stock cam , but you can put it anywhere that you can get keys for.
    we're discussing static timing, not dynamic advnaces resulting from centripital forces on the belt or any other "slop" in the assembly. you cannot static time the motor wherever you want using a bushing or key, you may correct it (i.e. put it back to stock) with those. I'm not accusing you of cheating, but your statement I've quoted 2x now is incorrect and to follow it to intentionally SET a desired cam advance would be illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip42 View Post
    I'm not accusing you of cheating, but your statement I've quoted 2x now is incorrect and to follow it to intentionally SET a desired cam advance would be illegal.
    If you won't say it I will.

Intentionally setting the cam timing to anything other than stock is CHEATING. With non-adjustable timing, you can leave it alone after milling the head, or use an offset key to bring it back to stock (and nothing else). If it has adjustable gears, then they must be set to stock timing. PERIOD.

Quote Originally Posted by GKR_17 View Post

Intentionally setting the cam timing to anything other than stock is CHEATING. With non-adjustable timing, you can leave it alone after milling the head, or use an offset key to bring it back to stock (and nothing else). If it has adjustable gears, then they must be set to stock timing. PERIOD.
    Truth.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by GKR_17 View Post
    If you won't say it I will.

absolutely. I'm just not going to accuse someone of doing without evidence.

You are right, you cant go past zero.
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

Well, not exactly.

The concept is you have to use stock cam timing, or the timing that results from when you cut the head, or an offset key to return the timing to stock if you want.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Us poor suckers with pushrod motors don't have to worry about such things. Line up the dots on the cam and crank, done deal.

The TR 8/Rover is going into my TVR. Building the engines for SOLO TR 8 race cars got me into my current building . I have found that the stock Buick cams are almost always late.

The cam timing thing is a done thing. Most people cant get the cam back to exactly zero, or even know what zero is.
    The VW engines have about a 3 degree tolerance at this point in time due to a multitude of factors,.. Deck ,head, camwheels.
    The days of cutting the block and sizing the head to get a specific cam timing are over.
    The reality is that it doe not make much difference. The car wont go fast if the cam is advanced. The stock legal cam/springs/throttle body, wont spin enough to see a return of more than 3 degrees retard.
    To think that the only legal cam positions are full retard or straight up, is living in a perfect world that doesnt exist. IMHO.
    If you really want to fix the cam timing thing, pull valve covers in impound.
    MM
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

The way I read the rules though, you may *centerline* the cam if the "stock" timing (straight key) if it is not correct. This should be allowed under "Blueprinting". Obviously, it would be the responsibility of the driver/entrant to be able to provide documentation to support the spec that is used. That might be something that even the "pushrod guys" can use. Given the significant manufacturing variances in mass-produced factory cams, this is something to be considered.

So, if your heads are cut, you theoretically have 3 options-
    • straight key with whatever advance/retard obtained from cutting the head
    • offset key to restore "stock" timing according to calculation
    • offset key to centerline the cam
    Even if you haven't cut the head, you can use the "straight" timing or the centerlined timing.

This is one of those old factory-backed Showroom Stock tricks- find the factory cam with the "best" cam timing...
    Matt Green

ITAC Member- 2012-??
    Tire Shaver at TreadZone- www.treadzone.com
    #96 Dodge Shelby Charger ITB- Mine, mine, all mine!
    I was around when they actually improved Improved Touring! (and now I'm trying not to mess it up!)

The rules don't have any allowance for "center-lining" the cam unless that is how it is specified in the factory manual. The blueprinting allowance does not apply unless the factory used offset keys.