Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NHMS Rational

Quote Originally Posted by jimalley View Post
    Brad, No it was time to freshen up the body and I decided to have the dings and dents taken out and have it repainted. The shop is only 6 weeks behind promised delivery

I also decided to have the motor checked out and freshened, and need to install it once I get the car back. I planned to have all this completed by the end of February, but here I am

Ugh! That's too bad..............................

Can I borrow your tires??

Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

So I called my Mom and asked her to change the date of her 80th birthday party so I could go race but she gave me her Hall and Oates reply - "I can't go for that - no can do".

I'm hoping for some racing inspiration, and some pesos so, I can join you all for Memorial Day. Be safe and have fun.

Tim Klvana
    203-240-1901

1997 EMRA Vanderbilt Cup TT ST-3 Champion

2002 ITC NERRC Champion
    2003 ITC NARRC Champion
    2005 ITC NARRC Champion
    2008 ITA NJRRS Champion
    2009 Pro ITA Champion
    2011 ITA NJRRS Champion
    2011 ITA NARRC Champion

CPM Motorsports Cars - '87 Civic Si - ITA #11, '86 CRX- ITC #11, '95 Integra - ITA #11
    [email protected]

Carol Miller, "Take A Breath"
    http://www.reverbnation.com/carolmiller

In...group 5
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

Anyone want to share a garage?
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

Quote Originally Posted by JLawton View Post
    Anyone want to share a garage?

Bueller?? Bueller?? Is it me?? (don't answer that!!) or is it that no one really needs a garage??

I assume it's still $150 for a full bay?
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

Jeff

I am in if you still need someone.
    Jim Alley
    1990 ITA Miata

Its all about doing your personal Best

Jeff

I am in if you still need someone.
    Sorry Jim, Craig Swineheart e-mailed me shortly after I posted. Glad to see you got the car back together though!!
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

Quote Originally Posted by JLawton View Post
    Sorry Jim, Craig Swineheart e-mailed me shortly after I posted. Glad to see you got the car back together though!!
    awh... that woulda been cute!
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

Long-term outlook is wet all weekend...

40% chance of showers Saturday, 10% Sunday according to weather.com.
    Chris Rallo "the kid"

Quote Originally Posted by CRallo View Post
    ...according to weather.com.
    Weather.com is the "Highlights magazine" of weather forecasting...I can see why you use it...

We'll see how it goes.

GA

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Weather.com is the "Highlights magazine" of weather forecasting...I can see why you use it...

We'll see how it goes.

GA
    I knew you'd say something like that...
    Chris Rallo "the kid"

I'm out. Broke something in the rear during testing. Same weird thing from WGI. Shop needs to step up and sort this out!
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

I knew you'd say something like that...
    Weather.com is a TV channel. They are EXCELLENT at telling you what your current temperature is, and PERFECT at telling you whether it's raining outside. And the thing they're best at is to give you pretty video with someone hanging on to a utility pole in a hurricane. But in the end they're an "ok" macro-weather forecasting agency that spends most of its time trying to entertain you.

My preferred consumer-level weather service - if you don't want to get into the nitty gritty data yourself - is accuweather. Not perfect, but the models they use tend to be, in general, better in longer-range forecasting.

But in the end, micro-weather forecasting is a wizardry art, especially more than 24 hours out.

If you have any interest in being a weather geek, Weather Underground is a good place to start. I think the place is RUN by weather geeks. And if you want to participate in the "RRAX of Weather" try americanwx.com; try to participate in the northeast forum when we have a snowstorm coming and the posts are flying so fast you simply can't keep up...

Regardless, forecasting weather a week out is folly. At best you can look at the forecasts of the macro-weather (fronts, air masses, highs/lows, etc) and use computer models (I like GFS) of what those will do. Watch the trends as the days progress and use judgement to make predictions based on what's happening.

When I'm not interested in delving deep into the models I'll jump to Accuweather, look at their extended forecast for the day(s) in question, and then look at two days prior and subsequent. What you see within that 5-6 day window is a general idea of what to expect. But don't bet on it. Two days out it's pretty accurate, but not a week or more.

We're in a transition period here in the NE. You've seen this week's weather in the middle of the country, but those aren't making them up here simply because the air masses are breaking up before they get here. We've got another not-as-powerful front moving across mid-week that should break up, but these are getting closer and closer to us each time. The one we're seeing next weekend is powerful enough to make it here...the question is whether it will get delayed in the Midwest again; if it does then we're good for Sunday and we'll get hammered with rain Monday; if not then we'll see rain on Sunday.

GFS is about 50/50 on when that front will make it through. It's showing rain with thunderstorms for the latter part of next weekend/Sunday in to Monday, with that low sticking around off shore for a day or two. Once that "seal is broken" we'll see more air masses make it through more easily.

I'm trying to decide what tires to put on the car before I put it into the trailer today. Unless something changes with today's forecast I'm going with dry tires to bed them in during the Friday test day, I'm waffling for Saturday, but I'm making sure my rain tires are in good shape for Sunday, just in case...

GA

Quote Originally Posted by benspeed View Post
    I'm out. Broke something in the rear during testing. Same weird thing from WGI. Shop needs to step up and sort this out!
    What testing?
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    What testing?
    At LRP.
    Chris Rallo "the kid"

Thanks for the info Greg!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Weather.com is a TV channel. They are EXCELLENT at telling you what your current temperature is, and PERFECT at telling you whether it's raining outside. And the thing they're best at is to give you pretty video with someone hanging on to a utility pole in a hurricane. But in the end they're an "ok" macro-weather forecasting agency that spends most of its time trying to entertain you.

My preferred consumer-level weather service - if you don't want to get into the nitty gritty data yourself - is accuweather. Not perfect, but the models they use tend to be, in general, better in longer-range forecasting.

But in the end, micro-weather forecasting is a wizardry art, especially more than 24 hours out.

If you have any interest in being a weather geek, Weather Underground is a good place to start. I think the place is RUN by weather geeks. And if you want to participate in the "RRAX of Weather" try americanwx.com; try to participate in the northeast forum when we have a snowstorm coming and the posts are flying so fast you simply can't keep up...

Regardless, forecasting weather a week out is folly. At best you can look at the forecasts of the macro-weather (fronts, air masses, highs/lows, etc) and use computer models (I like GFS) of what those will do. Watch the trends as the days progress and use judgement to make predictions based on what's happening.

When I'm not interested in delving deep into the models I'll jump to Accuweather, look at their extended forecast for the day(s) in question, and then look at two days prior and subsequent. What you see within that 5-6 day window is a general idea of what to expect. But don't bet on it. Two days out it's pretty accurate, but not a week or more.

We're in a transition period here in the NE. You've seen this week's weather in the middle of the country, but those aren't making them up here simply because the air masses are breaking up before they get here. We've got another not-as-powerful front moving across mid-week that should break up, but these are getting closer and closer to us each time. The one we're seeing next weekend is powerful enough to make it here...the question is whether it will get delayed in the Midwest again; if it does then we're good for Sunday and we'll get hammered with rain Monday; if not then we'll see rain on Sunday.

GFS is about 50/50 on when that front will make it through. It's showing rain with thunderstorms for the latter part of next weekend/Sunday in to Monday, with that low sticking around off shore for a day or two. Once that "seal is broken" we'll see more air masses make it through more easily.

I'm trying to decide what tires to put on the car before I put it into the trailer today. Unless something changes with today's forecast I'm going with dry tires to bed them in during the Friday test day, I'm waffling for Saturday, but I'm making sure my rain tires are in good shape for Sunday, just in case...

GA
    Chris Rallo "the kid"

Thanks for the info Greg!
    kiss ass!
    lol

But he's right: Weather.com = AOL which = the McDonalds of the internet.

Also, I assume u have the radarscope app for ur iphone/ipad, Greg?
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    I assume u have the radarscope app for ur iphone/ipad, Greg?
    But of course, on your recommendation!

It's a VERY useful app as you can see the various "tilts", composites, and velocities of the RADAR, enabling you to see just how high (how much of an angle) and how mixed/bad the returns are. If you're only getting returns on Base Reflectivity 1 and 2 and velocities are low, then "meh" it's a low-tops summer rainshower and you'll probably hear Cessnas flying over at 3,000 feet (inters). But if you're still getting return at "Tilt 4", and it's heading your way, and you haven't heard an airliner fly over in the last 15 minutes, then it's time to convert those EZUps into EZDowns and find some shelter...you won't be racing.

Really the best micro-weather app I've found and well worth the $10. - GA

Not sure but I think April 21st may be optimistic
    A few weeks can make a difference. Looks like I will be ready for Rational.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jimalley; 04-15-2012 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Added photo
    Jim Alley
    1990 ITA Miata

Its all about doing your personal Best