Thread: adding heat protection?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default adding heat protection?

such as gold foil to the fire wall, trans tunnel etc.

or heat pad, double floor, etc. in the foot box.

What is the allowance for this and where is it? thanks!

As of this post, my count is 777!
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

Interesting timing on here... I just saw this in the prelim Fastrack:

"Spec Miata
    1. #6400 (Todd Green) Seeking rules clarification/suggestion for Spec Miata
    In 9.3.24, add the following to the end of the paragraph: "Insulation or heat-resistant material may be added to the
    interior (cockpit) surfaces of the firewall, floor, and transmission tunnel.
    "
    (Please see letter #7625, Minutes for Recommended Rule Change portion of this letter)."

Not sure what that last part means regarding another letter though...
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

I know this is an old thread but I'm curious as well and surprised there was no response. The off season is here and this is one of the planned changes to my new ITA car. Any thoughts on this?
    Steve Elicati
    ITA 1994 Mazda Miata
    Central Florida Region

there's no specific allowance in the ITCS for these. That said, I don't think anyone will call you on an insulation pad or reflective film etc.. unless you use some sort of rediculously heavy lead sheet or simillarly blatante attempt to use this permissive attitude for an expressly unauthorized purpose.

If it's a big deal, someone write a letter, this one should be easy to hammer out a reply to.

Thanks Chip, agreed it would be a weenie protest but I'm of the belief if it's one of those things alot of guys are doing and nobody cares either way then we should have a rule allowing it soooo letter on the way. Lead is a good insulator, just sayin'
    Steve Elicati
    ITA 1994 Mazda Miata
    Central Florida Region

"Any exhaust header and exhaust system may be used" (GCR 9.1.3.D.1.g, p404 Dec 2012 GCR).

Heat shields are part of the exhaust "system".

Roffe Corollary --> no letter needed.

GA

by the strict reading, heat shields are only part of the unrestricted exhaust when attached to same.

it's a pretty silly thing to throw paper at, but there IS NO allowance, specifically, nor really one that's easily twisted other than "duh," which is hard to enforce.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip42 View Post
    the question was addition of heat shield material. I presumed based on common practice that this would be foil, aluminized insulation pads, etc... in the area of the driver.

generally, this is NOT a protested item. it's a stupid and nit picky protest used for 1 of 2 reasons - because you hate someone and are petty, or because someone is performing a prohibited function.

I disagree with Greg's reading, but I don't think it matters because, as above, it's just petty to call someone on insulation used appropriately and for driver comfort or engine survivability (reflective shield on the oil pan, etc...).
    So tell me Chip, who gets to make the call as to what rules are ok to ignore because it would be 'nit picky' and 'petty' to protest?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    "Any exhaust header and exhaust system may be used" (GCR 9.1.3.D.1.g, p404 Dec 2012 GCR).

Heat shields are part of the exhaust "system".

Roffe Corollary --> no letter needed.

GA
    Greg,

Where your logic fails is in the assumption that all heat shielding is related to heat emanating from the exhaust system. Both the engine and the transmission give off heat that is unrelated to the exhaust system. So, you're allowed to use a a heat shield to shield your exhaust system, but if that same heat shield is insulating something from the heat being given off by the transmission, you could make the case that your heat shield is performing a prohibited function, as there is no allowance to provide insulation against the heat emanating from the transmission.