Thread: Mazda RX-7 Build Questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Spending "new money" on a 1st generation RX7 makes zero sense. There are usable IT7s out there for sale for sale and they are only getting less expensive.

K

My thoughts exactly, I just didn't know if I was looking at this wrong and if there really was a chance to have this thing back on track for less than buying one already built.

I'd tend to agree with Kirk here. Those cars get no love for no good reason and the dollar seems to go very far on them...

assuming they are correct/close, what do your numbers add up to?
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

$3000+ and that's not even doing it right in my eyes. lol That's far too high of a number for such a project. I'd buy something decent and ready to go for that. I just don't know that much about them, specifically the suspension and what needs to be replaced on them. The shell supposedly needs a little body work, paint, and of course a lot of mechanical items, which I imagine a lot of which would be bad coming from a donor car that has been sitting outside.

All my research so far is saying no. It may be a good deal for a caged shell that cheap but everything else isn't looking reasonably priced.

yea and things tend to add up once you get into the project AND that's "paying" yourself nothing for your time... Unless you really want to build it yourself.

In regards to what to look for, look for a car that has the tri-link done and panhard bar. Do some reading on the forum... lots of good info about those cars on here.
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

Yeah I know it would all add up, that's my other concern that I'll be in over my head and regret it, but some keep telling me it won't be that bad. I don't mind royally busting my butt and spending hours of time working on it, I'll spend all the time I need to race, I just don't want to "waste" money trying.

I've been reading on the tri-link/panhard thing, I don't know what half of the terminology is suspension wise on these cars honestly. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Simon T. View Post
    Yeah I know it would all add up, that's my other concern that I'll be in over my head and regret it, but some keep telling me it won't be that bad. I don't mind royally busting my butt and spending hours of time working on it, I'll spend all the time I need to race, I just don't want to "waste" money trying.

I've been reading on the tri-link/panhard thing, I don't know what half of the terminology is suspension wise on these cars honestly. lol
    Simon,

Building a car from the ground up is AWESOME! It allows you to understand everything and it forces you to do research and learn about the car. Buying a car allows you to "get lazy" and not learn what does what and why until you need to.

But is that really worth it?

1.) Building a car is NEVER cheap and always costs double what you plan... why? Its kinda like going to vegas. you can go to the surf and turf and spend $8 for all you can eat or you can go to the palms and spend $20 for all you can eat. If your only doing this once why not splurge a little. Same goes with every part you purchase for you build and before you know it your out of cash with an incomplete car or your way over budget and your wife kills you!

2.) It is easy to get way over your head.. then who do you turn to? Do you have knowledgeable friends that can get you out of the bind your in or do you have to pay someone? This may set you back months or not only stall you but derail you and the project never gets completed.

I will be the first to say that BOTH these happened to me in my RX8 build. I was WAY in over my head taking on a car I knew nothing about. I had a shell and a cage but not idea what else I really needed. When the opportunity came to purchae a wrecked car and transfer everything over I did. If that opportunity didn't come along the projected probably would have derailed and wouldn't be complete. The other thing was the $$. I didn't want to waist money on marginal parts and got the best of everything, when all was said and done I added the bill up and imediatly burned it and never showed my wife. sadly it is like the sun and burnt into my eyes.. If I close my eyes I can still see the number etched in my head!

Its a hard choice. Just be 100% honest with yourself and know what your real resources and knowledge is before making your decision.

Stephen