Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mazda RX-7 Build Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    Simon,

Let's talk turkey.

You have been with us for 4 years now. You are young and enthusiastic. Like many people like that, you have limited funds. This is NOT a sport you want to do with limited funds like this. When I say that, I mean that even though we all have 'limited funds', a shoestring budget can be done - but you have to accept a few things.

- You won't be competitive in some areas
    - You won't be able to race near as much as you want
    - You aren't headed toward a racing 'career'

What is your overall budget for the actual car? If it's $3000-$5000, go find a nice ITB Honda that can get you on the track and parts are easy to find.

If it's $5000-$8000 grab a decent ITS RX-7.

If it's $8000-$10000, buy a decent 1.8L Spec Miata and build it into an ITA or ITS car (depending what year).

If you can't do the ITB car, then you won't be able to afford the $500 (minimum) a weekend it takes to do this...on a shoestring...

Lay out your budgets and let us help you try this.
    Andy....you can lead a horse to water but you can't prevent it from drowning....LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    Simon,

Let's talk turkey.

You have been with us for 4 years now. You are young and enthusiastic. Like many people like that, you have limited funds. This is NOT a sport you want to do with limited funds like this. When I say that, I mean that even though we all have 'limited funds', a shoestring budget can be done - but you have to accept a few things.

- You won't be competitive in some areas
    - You won't be able to race near as much as you want
    - You aren't headed toward a racing 'career'

What is your overall budget for the actual car? If it's $3000-$5000, go find a nice ITB Honda that can get you on the track and parts are easy to find.

If it's $5000-$8000 grab a decent ITS RX-7.

If it's $8000-$10000, buy a decent 1.8L Spec Miata and build it into an ITA or ITS car (depending what year).

If you can't do the ITB car, then you won't be able to afford the $500 (minimum) a weekend it takes to do this...on a shoestring...

Lay out your budgets and let us help you try this.
    I've already decided against the RX-7 after adding it all up and looking at it. I'd spend more to get it decent and ready than I could find a ready IT7 car for.

-I'm not looking to be competitive, just mid pack.
    -I'm not looking to race every weekend by any means, my interest is endurance racing anyway. Which I can split costs with friends to make weekends cheaper. Did that at the ARRC but I rushed to finish the car which DID hurt my bank account. lol
    -Definitely not expecting to have a career in racing, but I am hoping to race enough to do some instructing work, I'm slightly in the door but need more seat time. You never know what comes from that anyway, a good friend does that and has had quite a few opportunities based from that while only racing a few times a year.

I'm looking to spend $3000-$5000 on a car soon, which I know they are definitely out there for that, I just have to save and be patient. $5000 on the high side, I've found IT cars for $2000-$3000, I bought my Neon in that price range on the low side of that. So they are out there I know.

I couldn't race $500 a weekend if I wanted to. lol I'm picky with prep work and entry fees alone are already what $350ish for a weekend?

I just need a car, racing it won't be an issue. I learned a lot last year finishing up my car and just from the ARRC alone. I may have limited seat time under my belt in W2W but have done a lot of helping out for friends and what not so I know the typical weekend cost. I'm also lucky enough to have a lot of freebies and virtually no towing fees as long as I stay near home (Road Atlanta 10 minutes).
    Last edited by Simon T.; 04-12-2012 at 11:35 AM.

Then take your $5K and buy the best ITB Honda you can find.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

That's the plan, to buy something already built in a few months. It might not be a Honda but whatever I can find that's reliable and easy to find parts for.

The only reason I considered building the RX-7 is $350 for a logbooked car with a nice custom cage isn't that bad, including an engine, transmission, all front suspension, seat, it didn't seem like a bad deal at all. Throw a rear end on it and some fresh bushings and you have a moving car, it just added up far quicker than it sounds. lol