Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: still using an open face helmet?

Default still using an open face helmet?

I'd reconsider, I found this one the production car forum.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j5ykoo5j48[/ame]

Never have never will. I personally don't understand why they're even still legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon T. View Post
    Never have never will. I personally don't understand why they're even still legal.
    Me two, the crap flying around at the start or a race can be scary, or just one guy dropping two wheels off in front of you. Full face and visor down!

Steve

That's nothing. I learned early.

In my driver's school, the guy in front of me (Datsun I think) on the back "straight" at Portland swerved around when the guy in front of HIM blew an engine (Fiat). When we got to the post "race" impound, the Datsun guy pulled an entire crank throw with half a rod attached, out of his back seat area. It had gone straight through.

Other detritus I've seen enter road race cars include side mirrors, exploded battery guts, and a long Douglas Fir branch, poked right in the side window. I spun one time and ended up with a heap of dry grass and a handful of live grasshoppers in the dash and in my lap. That was the least dangerous but most entertaining collection of garbage; watching the 'hoppers bounce off of the inside of the windshield after I rejoined...

K

As embarrassing as this is to post, I can one up that video. I used to run with my visor up until this incident. Check out how much glass is flying around. I felt it all hit my face and am still amazed none went in my eyes.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5vtz6sxhTA[/ame]
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Quote Originally Posted by JLawton View Post
    As embarrassing as this is to post, I can one up that video. I used to run with my visor up until this incident. Check out how much glass is flying around. I felt it all hit my face and am still amazed none went in my eyes.
    You coulda just said the hood pins broke..
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

I caught a rock or something off my cheek with my visor half way open at drivers school.

Guy in front of me dropped a wheel and kicked it up and I think it hit my mirror and redirected to my cheek below my eye...lesson learned.
    CFR STL #59 Civic

www.circuit-racer.com

@JL, I did something similar in driver's school at Roebling in 2004. The difference was that my hood ripped completely off and flew into the air, only to knock down one of the brake markers going into turn one. Was pleased to find that Toyota seemed to have designed a tear-away hood hinge. Held the hood in place and the hinge actually had a little tab to hammer on to close it around the pin again. Gotta hand it to them for the forethought. Maybe somethings CAN be made foolproof!
    Racing make heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty - Peter Egan

ITA/IT7 Rx7
    SPU Baby Grand "clown car(s)" 1 stock, 1 with Hayabusa
    CCR BoD
    SWC of CCR Road Racing Liaison
    F&C

OMG after reading all these stories I will start fully closing my visor (It just gets so f***ing hot), I'm looking into a cool shirt so I follow up with keeping my visor down....

My GF gets so mad at me, since she also had an insident where she took a track sign w/a porsche 996 during testing, and she keeps telling me that you dont want glass, grabble, nor dirty going in to your eyes....

I had to run mine 1 finger open to cool down

I think you guys are scaring me into never racing again. I mean, I might get hurt, or even killed.

Russ
    Russ

Steve

I'd reconsider, I found this one the production car forum.
    Another reason to move away from open face helmets is that they are not permitted in New Jersey (NJMP) ... OK, cue the NJ jokes. Race track operations in New Jersey are governed by state law which in almost all instances parallel our GCR. However, the section on helmets states:
    Chapter 62 3.6 All drivers shall wear a properly secured, full face helmet, with face shield, which meets or exceeds Snell Memorial Foundation Testing Standards M or SA, incorporated by reference herein, as may be amended and supplemented, which has not reached the expiration date established by the Snell Memorial Foundation at the time of the event. The standards are available from the Snell Memorial Foundation, 3628 Madison Avenue, Suite 11, North Highlands, CA 95660. A Nomex, or similar fire-resistant head sock is recommended to be worn in conjunction with the use of the full face helmet with shield. The use of open face helmets and goggles shall be prohibited.
    I added the highlighting for emphasis. This wording has been incorporated in our supps with the stipulation that M helmets are not permitted. We have had no problems since this regulation came into effect last year. In fact, it would probably be a reasonable addition to the GCR.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Hanushek View Post
    Steve

Another reason to move away from open face helmets is that they are not permitted in New Jersey (NJMP) ... OK, cue the NJ jokes. Race track operations in New Jersey are governed by state law which in almost all instances parallel our GCR. However, the section on helmets states:
    Chapter 62 3.6 All drivers shall wear a properly secured, full face helmet, with face shield, which meets or exceeds Snell Memorial Foundation Testing Standards M or SA, incorporated by reference herein, as may be amended and supplemented, which has not reached the expiration date established by the Snell Memorial Foundation at the time of the event. The standards are available from the Snell Memorial Foundation, 3628 Madison Avenue, Suite 11, North Highlands, CA 95660. A Nomex, or similar fire-resistant head sock is recommended to be worn in conjunction with the use of the full face helmet with shield. The use of open face helmets and goggles shall be prohibited.
    I added the highlighting for emphasis. This wording has been incorporated in our supps with the stipulation that M helmets are not permitted. We have had no problems since this regulation came into effect last year. In fact, it would probably be a reasonable addition to the GCR.

Terry
    Tony Soprano would weep....LOL

Since HNR's are required now, is there an open face that works with an HNR? It may be moot...
    Enjoy,
    Bill

Another reason to move away from open face helmets is that they are not permitted in New Jersey (NJMP) ...
    Interesting. Does that mean, then, that my Arai GP5W with "peak" is not permitted at NJMP? - GA

Last edited by Greg Amy; 04-11-2012 at 05:44 PM.

I think it's still open face with out a full shield, Greg.I have a similar helmet from another vendor.

Greg

Interesting. Does that mean, then, that my Arai GP5W with "peak" is not permitted at NJMP?
    The first sentence of the Chapter 62 reference requires a face shield - "Chapter 62 3.6 All drivers shall wear a properly secured, full face helmet, with face shield, which meets or exceeds Snell ... "

Our supps support this requirement - "NJ 62-3.6 requires all drivers to wear a full face helmet with a face shield - open face helmets and helmets without full face shields are prohibited; all other provisions of GCR 9.3.20.C.2 apply."

From the picture below, your 'peak' does not meet the 'full face shield' criteria. Does Arai have an optional full face shield for your model?

Terry

Does Arai have an optional full face shield for your model?
    Yup, 'bout $100. "Just one more" nanny expense to save me from myself to add on top of all the other ones.

Assuming I choose to buy it to run NJMP.

GA

Steve

Another reason to move away from open face helmets is that they are not permitted in New Jersey ... OK, cue the NJ jokes...

Terry
    New Jersery?? Who races in New Jersey? Who'd put a road course in New Jersey? Isn't the only allowed race track in New Jersey an 1/8" mile drag-strip??

STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

James

New Jersery?? Who races in New Jersey?
    Amongst others Formula 1 is coming to NJ

See ya at the races

Terry

Amongst others Formula 1 is coming to NJ
    Well, so to speak; in reality, the race is in New York City, they're just renting part of New Jersey for the weekend....kinda like how the New York Giants play off the Jersey Turnpike...

Note that the big-glass, high-falutin', high-visibility VIP areas above the pit boxes will be facing the NYC skyline, not the Meadowlands...

Damn Jersey... Hey, you gots Snooki, don't get greedy.