Thread: still using an open face helmet?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Hanushek View Post
    Another reason to move away from open face helmets is that they are not permitted in New Jersey (NJMP) ...
    Interesting. Does that mean, then, that my Arai GP5W with "peak" is not permitted at NJMP? - GA

Last edited by Greg Amy; 04-11-2012 at 05:44 PM.

I think it's still open face with out a full shield, Greg.I have a similar helmet from another vendor.

Greg

Interesting. Does that mean, then, that my Arai GP5W with "peak" is not permitted at NJMP?
    The first sentence of the Chapter 62 reference requires a face shield - "Chapter 62 3.6 All drivers shall wear a properly secured, full face helmet, with face shield, which meets or exceeds Snell ... "

Our supps support this requirement - "NJ 62-3.6 requires all drivers to wear a full face helmet with a face shield - open face helmets and helmets without full face shields are prohibited; all other provisions of GCR 9.3.20.C.2 apply."

From the picture below, your 'peak' does not meet the 'full face shield' criteria. Does Arai have an optional full face shield for your model?

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Hanushek View Post
    Does Arai have an optional full face shield for your model?
    Yup, 'bout $100. "Just one more" nanny expense to save me from myself to add on top of all the other ones.

Assuming I choose to buy it to run NJMP.

GA

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Yup, 'bout $100. "Just one more" nanny expense to save me from myself to add on top of all the other ones.
    OK. I loved my open-face Bell, did what I wanted and I looked like Cale Yarborough. Also love my visor-lidded GP-5 (see post above). But I just got this via email, from last weekend's Hyperfest.

GP-5 face shield on order, arriving Thursday.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8FBxS-00xU&feature=player_embedded[/ame]
    Last edited by Greg Amy; 06-18-2012 at 02:43 PM.