Thread: 10 year old RA1's still good?

Default 10 year old RA1's still good?

I'm currently refurbishing an older ITC car that came with Toyo RA1's dated 2002. I bought new tires for racing, but I'd like to use the old tires for my drivers school. The old tires don't have much wear, but are they safe?
    Bob Gordon, Western Ohio Region

"Safe"? Possibly, but not likely. I wouldn't run them.

I'd still use 'em.....for holding the tarp on the saw dust bunker.
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

I used old tires before (not that old) and spun twice in the first session. They were absolute junk.

No! Don't make your school harder.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

I did basically this. Ran on the old SRF BFG R1s that someone sold me for $25 each before my school. Awful tires. Made it very hard.

Spend the money on decent tires.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

and a quote from Brian Bagnall, most interesting man in the world:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfKTDMEoC88[/ame]

Glenn Lawton
    GSMmotorsports
    #14 ITS RX7
    NARRC ITS Champion 2012
    NERRC ITS Champion 2013 12 11 10 09 08
    NERRC STU Champion 2010

I have a set ot Toyo's RA1's that were made in April of 2004 and went through drivers school and two races last year with no probems. At the MC drivers school I attended at BFR in July of last year I put the wheels and tires on a rental SM car and other then one S2000 car in the closed wheel group I was by far the fastest car in the school. I plan on using them up this season before switching to BFG's. (Which I have already.)

If the tires were stored properly then they are still safe to use. Fast is another matter. While they are intended for racing they still have to be built to DOT specs.

For example I have an old Ford van (1988) with 10+ years old tires that is parked outside 24/7. The tires have given me no problmes and show no signs of aging such as cracks in the sidewalls. I replace tires on my trailer after then showed such cracking.
    1988 ITA Scriocco 16V #80
    MCSCC member since 1988

Thanks for the advice guys. I feel like there's a consensus here (unless some of you have Hoosier stock!).

Actually, thinking about it more I think you should go for it as long as you shoot good video and post it here afterwards.
    Dave Gran

I would use them... If they have tread, drive em!!!

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Ask Ray where his wheel went at LRP or what rubber he wouldn't use.

Miss you bud!!!!
    Dave Gran

You didnt say what tires u have for racing.if they are not hoosiers just use them and throw the toyo bricks away. last thing u need in a school is crap under you.
    If u have hoosiers then try to buy somebodys 8-10 session hoosiers for short $$
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    Actually, thinking about it more I think you should go for it as long as you shoot good video and post it here afterwards.
    Dave, I'm very dissapointed in you for that comment. It's as if you wished to embarass me. I may have to use you book as kindling! Seriously, I appreciate everyone's advice. I think I'll go with the Hankooks to avoid becoming a youtube sensation.

Got small kids? use the Toyos as tire swings. Kids love tire swings.

Or if we get another cold snap, they make great fuel for the fire...

I do have a deal on some brand new 205/50R15 Toyo R888s if that might help... That goes for anyone looking as well. I work part-time for TreadZone, and we have a little bit of overstock. I forget the exact price, but I know it's well under $100 per tire.
    Matt Green

ITAC Member- 2012-??
    Tire Shaver at TreadZone- www.treadzone.com
    #96 Dodge Shelby Charger ITB- Mine, mine, all mine!
    I was around when they actually improved Improved Touring! (and now I'm trying not to mess it up!)

I need some newish RA 1, 205/50/15 SM fitment.
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

I had bought a set of Hoosier SMs with a few heat cycles on them from a race shop in Florida. Brought them up to Lime Rock last summer. Wondered why the car was so slippery. Checked tires - turns out they had sold me a set with an '05 or '06 production date; during the race, the old rubber had started cracking.

Throw your 10 yo rubber away. A race school has you on the track for 4-6 hours, there is a good chance you will lock up wheels a few times in that period or have a spin - you want something that you know will grip, will wear like iron, and doesn't die the moment it slides sideways across the track. Toyo R888s sound just perfect. Noone cares if you run 2 secs slower because you are not on sticker Hoosiers. Plus, it's not wasted money - what's left of the Toyos will make a great track day tire after the school, or a compromise first rain tire.
    Astrophysathingy / goaheadtakethewheel.com
    99 Civic SI #9 WDCR ITS/STL
    93 Corolla / 97 PDX Miata

Bob - I was in the same boat as you during my school (and 1st season), refreshing a C car that had set for a while and that came with numerous 5+ year-old shaved RA1s (w/ about a million heat cycles) that had sat in a non-temp controlled building in West Virginia. I made them work...

But if you have other tires at your disposal you might save yourself some loopdy-loops.

I have a set of SRF take-offs that I use when I don't want to waste race rubber, you're welcome to use them for the school if you like - just email me through our ITC chain.
    Ryan Scott
    ITC CRX #23

Sponsors: GoPro, PR Machine Works, SAS, Yoke's Body Shop, Signature Signs
    Great Scott Motorsports
    Rally Team for Dreams

Quote Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
    Bob - I was in the same boat as you during my school (and 1st season), refreshing a C car that had set for a while and that came with numerous 5+ year-old shaved RA1s (w/ about a million heat cycles) that had sat in a non-temp controlled building in West Virginia. I made them work...

But if you have other tires at your disposal you might save yourself some loopdy-loops.

I have a set of SRF take-offs that I use when I don't want to waste race rubber, you're welcome to use them for the school if you like - just email me through our ITC chain.
    Thanks for the offer Ryan. I'm thinking about buying a set of new RA1's or R888's to use instead of my new Hankooks. I could use them as my first set of rains like Kai suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post

I see your experience with Kai is starting to pay off...
    Hero To The Momentum Challenged