Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HANS downside?

Quote Originally Posted by Ralf View Post
    Took the plunge on the NecksGen because,
    1) Its cheaper than the HANS.
    2) Adjustable from 10-40 degrees. No need to figure out what size neck I have or what angle I need to buy for my seat or size.
    3) Has side protection.
    4) No cumbersom harness to strap on

On to the pictures.

Just insert tab into latch on helmet.

Release by pushing down on the top button or pull the small lanyard. I wouldn't use the small lanyard though since the metal ring is pretty thin.

Kit also comes with other d-rings to make the device non-removable and all the tools you need to install the latch or adjust the angle. Carrying case, baseball cap, stickers and uniform patch also included.

Good stuff. I was within days of pulling the trigger on a Rage Hybride but this looks much less complicated to get into. Couple questions. How difficult/easy is it to clip into? How is the comfort against the seat back? Will you be able to get into the car and then put it on? Does it mount into existing HANs anchor points?

Thank!!
    Last edited by JLawton; 03-25-2012 at 12:42 PM.
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    If Necksgen is really v2 of the defender company, maybe not doing business in GA is part of the lawsuit settlement?
    Addresses for defNder and Neckgen are the same..... just sayin'
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

Quote Originally Posted by JLawton View Post
    Good stuff. I was within days of pulling the trigger on a Rage Hybride but this looks much less complicated to get into. Couple questions. How difficult/easy is it to clip into? How is the comfort against the seat back? Will you be able to get into the car and then put it on? Does it mount into existing HANs anchor points?

Thank!!
    I only tried it a couple of times in the car to get an idea of how easy it will be to clip in or just putting it on with the helmet. Either one will work. It wasn't too difficult finding the latch and clip and I'm sure will get easier with practice. I have enough room in my car, so I also tried leaving it clipped to the helmet and then slipping everything over my head and that worked too. Made clipping in the 5 point harness a bit harder though since I usually clip my harness together while I can see. Helmet usually goes on just prior to the gloves at the 5 minute warning.
    Didn't feel it against my seat. You just feel the added pressure on your shoulders but not the collar bone since its a flexible pad.
    I didn't have existing HANs anchors in my Simpson helmet, but it did have pre-drilled holes that I used. Their web site has a FAQ section that answers a lot of questions.
    www.necksgen.com
    Ralf
    ITB Golf GT

I'm 6'2", 240 and I can get out of a full containment seat in a Super Late Model stock car with my helmet and hans on.

Its not the fundamental embodiement of evil some of you guys think.

Jim Barnsley, Streetwise Service
    WCMA IT2 Neon Twincam
    2009/2010 Regional and Alberta IT2 Champion
    2009 Regional Overall Champion. Second this year, dammit.

Quote Originally Posted by Streetwise guy View Post
    I'm 6'2", 240 and I can get out of a full containment seat in a Super Late Model stock car with my helmet and hans on.

Its not the fundamental embodiement of evil some of you guys think.
    Yes it is.
    Matt Downing
    1995 Honda Civic EX Coupe - ITA
    Ohio Valley Region, SCCA

Order placed Today for www.necksgen.com .
    Matt Downing
    1995 Honda Civic EX Coupe - ITA
    Ohio Valley Region, SCCA

i recently ordered the Hybrid Pro Rage (hope i said that right).

i basically got tired of trying to figure this out or waiting for the next best thing.

i think the necksgen is really interesting though. i like the tab instead of the "pin" that the defender had. i was not impressed when crewing for someone that had one and having to learn the "secrets" of getting it connected.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Some eBay businesses have them and don't mention not shipping to GA so I may order one soon, or have it shipped to an out of state friend. lol

Quote Originally Posted by tom91ita View Post
    i recently ordered the Hybrid Pro Rage (hope i said that right).

i basically got tired of trying to figure this out or waiting for the next best thing.

i think the necksgen is really interesting though. i like the tab instead of the "pin" that the defender had. i was not impressed when crewing for someone that had one and having to learn the "secrets" of getting it connected.
    That is the major issue that I have with mine. I ended up having to polish the interface between the pin and the latch to make it sorta easy to connect them together. Even with this extra effort, I still have to do a reality check on the latch a couple of times.

Eric