Thread: HANS downside?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default HANS downside?

I was walking around the grid @ the last Regional, talking to old friends. Old friends.
    Two said that they cant get out of their cars with the helmets on. The HANs keeps them from tipping their heads out the door .
    Fire escape?
    How should this be adressed? Or should it at all?
    The race cars would have to remove or reengineer the driver door bars, much lower.
    Before you race your car this year,find a way out, with your eyes closed and helmet on, IMHO.
    MM
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

Barn <<----..................---->> Horse

Jut ask Joey hand about egress with a HANS...

That said, they now have those quick release anchors. Recommend those to your friends. That is the easy button, but I don't like it either :/
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

Quote Originally Posted by CRallo View Post
    That said, they now have those quick release anchors. Recommend those to your friends. That is the easy button, but I don't like it either :/

And 2 more tethers to try to find in a rush while trying to get out of a smoke filled car.

No good answer but with all the safety I have in my car I'm starting to feel a little unsafe.
    John W8

CSP10 Miata
    ITA50 Miata

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW8 View Post
    ...No good answer but with all the safety I have in my car I'm starting to feel a little unsafe.

if we keep the key out of the ignition, then maybe is there enough room?
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

They should look at the HAN's Sport II. It was designed with a shorter and rounder back piece to make getting out of a sedan easier.

Thats not the point. They cant tip thier head forward to clear the cage. I have a similar issue due to Hieght in the car. Im going to have to scoot my ass down to clear the hoop and window opening to get out with the dumb thing on.

Maybe I need a removable steering coloumn, and the dash board needs to come out to,along with the heater case, and the rear hatch glass ,and all the other stuff that my IT car still needs.

Hmmm maybe safty will get my car to minimum weight afterall.

Ok Im done now
    Dan 77 IT7/A

Quote Originally Posted by Dano77 View Post
    Thats not the point. They cant tip thier head forward to clear the cage.
    I don't understand. I've been using a HANS since 2004. I cannot figure out how this could be true. With the harness unbuckled, the HANS does not limit forward head movement.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    I don't understand. I've been using a HANS since 2004. I cannot figure out how this could be true. With the harness unbuckled, the HANS does not limit forward head movement.
    I'm with u on this one, once the belts are off the hans doesnt do anything but sit on your neck. If you cant navigate getting out with it sitting on you... Well then you probably have a hard time getting up period. Dont. Lame it on the safety device, the hans works well and if your of normal stature, not a problem at all.
    #72 ITE Scirocco
    NARRC ITE champion 2011

When I first tried a Hans in my RX7, the only way I could get into the car was to crawl in head first over into the passenger side then swing my legs under the column and drop into the seat. I have a pretty long torso compared to leg length and with the Kirkey head restraint halo's and the low roof line of the RX7, it was the only way in with the Hans on.

After that I bought a DefNder and it is a bit easier to get in and out, but it is still a monster effort with a fair bit of contorting to get out. After some practice I can get out of the car like a normal human being, but when I want to do it fast, I revert back to the older swing the upper part of my torso over the passenger side and come out legs first.

In my Cougar, the door opening is a lot larger and it uses a Sparco with head halo's. In that car, I slide in legs first, then I have to twist my upper body to a 45 degree angle and twist into the seat area, then fall into the seat. To get out, I have to take off the wheel, grab the cage support bar, lean forward until I clear the halo then twist sideways and bail out onto the road. Not graceful, but it works.

I know I am safer and yes I can get out of both cars inside of 8 seconds, but I wonder how easy it would be for a marshal to pull me out of either car if I was inconscious.....

Eric
    Last edited by 23racer; 03-05-2012 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1stGenBoy View Post
    They should look at the HAN's Sport II. It was designed with a shorter and rounder back piece to make getting out of a sedan easier.
    I personally don't get hung up on the Hans itself, I can't easily duck my head with the HANS on to get my helmeted head aimed out the door. I can do it but I sure would hate to try it in a hurry, upside down and on fire in a snowstorm with sharks circling.
    John W8

CSP10 Miata
    ITA50 Miata

Don't get me wrong... I am in no way a fan of the HANS. Just choosing my battles :/

there is a reason the HANS sticker on my racecar is upside down...
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

An alternative:

http://www.necksgen.com/

Looks like a new and improved HANS, or DeFender. I wonder if this version will get sued??
    They are pretty vague about performance.
    Price looks decent.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    An alternative:

http://www.necksgen.com/

Looks like a new and improved HANS, or DeFender. I wonder if this version will get sued??
    They are pretty vague about performance.
    Price looks decent.
    Vague about performance - that's putting it mildly! The only thing they have pics of is their promotional materials! Everything else is CAD renderings.

Don't get me wrong, I do like what I see and I appreciate a new competitor - but I wouldn't feel comfortable till I see more on there, like "About Us" and more photos, stuff in use, etc.

Very new. Very, very new.
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Quote Originally Posted by Flyinglizard View Post
    I was walking around the grid @ the last Regional, talking to old friends. Old friends.
    Two said that they cant get out of their cars with the helmets on. The HANs keeps them from tipping their heads out the door .
    Fire escape?
    How should this be adressed? Or should it at all?
    The race cars would have to remove or reengineer the driver door bars, much lower.
    Before you race your car this year,find a way out, with your eyes closed and helmet on, IMHO.
    MM
    Really?