Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What engine oil do you use and why?

Mobil 1 Synthetic..easy as that
    Greg Vandersluis
    #4 1990 Honda Civic Si
    #97 2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
    #93 2006 Ford Mustang
    Carbotech/BFGoodrich/Vandersluis Motorsports
    2010 Great Lakes Division ITA Champion
    2012 Great Lakes Division T1 Champion

To add more "fuel" to the fire,ar ar....a group of aerospace engineers got together and decided to take a look at all the syn oils and see how they might be improved.Below is a link to the PDF and you can google the product. Interesting info on their product.

http://www.synmaxperformancelubrican..._Oil_15W40.pdf

interesting read Bruce... Sounds like mostly marketing to me... I'd be intersted to hear an expert opinion. Doesn't hurt to try it though right?
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

I used to use Redline race 40 wt all the time in either one of my cars and replaced it every race. I had no issues, rock solid cold and warm pressures and when the Cougar got up to 250 oil temps, everything was stable. After a while at $17.00 a quart (the RX7 uses 7 quarts and the Cougar 8) it started to get monster expensive and I looked for less costly alternatives.

I tried Mobil 1 20-50 Street Synthetic (race is not available in Canada) and noticed that as my cars got hot, the idle pressures and max pressures would start to drop over time. I also ended up with more in the catch tanks. I spoke to the Mobil Customer Service guys and they recommended that I look at the Mobil 1 Air V Twin oils as they are designed to handle temps over 220 degrees. It was noticeably better, but still not good enough.

So I did some research on a number of oil researcher sites and ended up with either the Redline Oil Line or a couple of the Motul products as the only ones using the best base stock for their products, I think it was class 5 base stock. Both were still way expensive, so somebody suggested that I try Q Racing oil. I was extremely doubtful as I had some poor experiences with Quaker State in the past. So I tried the oils as the price was right and they worked great. I am using the Q Racing Oil in the 15-50 weight and my pressures are rock solid hot and cold and my max temps are lower in both cars.

I am back to changing oil between events again and I am happy as everything is just as stable as it once was. It seems to work in my BP rotary pulling to 9,000 rpm and my 12.5:1 compression V6 Cougar.