Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much of a difference does offset make?

Default How much of a difference does offset make?

Question: Would a 0.4 lbs weight savings per wheel be more advantageous than losing 12mm of total track width?

What I am wondering is should I go with 41mm offset (Enkei RPF1s) because they weigh 9.5 lbs rather than the 35mm which weigh 9.9 lbs? Is saving 0.8 lbs per axle a benefit if I am losing whatever small degree of cornering stability with a narrower track?

Or am I just being too damned anal about this whole thing?
    #88 ITA Integra
    CFR SEDiv

Weight difference is in the center and therfore has very little accel/decel mass moment arm. Go with the wider track.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

I would compare cost as well. You could add a 6mm spacer and probably be close to the same weight... right?

Pontiac that baby...wide track!!

@StephenB No, what I'm doing is going from Kosei K1s (at 13.3 lbs per wheel and 38 mm offset) to Enkei RPF1s. The decision I'm trying to make is whether to go with 35mm Enkeis at 9.9 lbs or 41mm Enkeis at 9.5 lbs.

Will the slightly wider stance be more beneficial or the narrower track with less weight? That's my dilemma.

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    I would compare cost as well. You could add a 6mm spacer and probably be close to the same weight... right?
    #88 ITA Integra
    CFR SEDiv

Remember, you can always add spacers. If you want the best of both.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    Remember, you can always add spacers. If you want the best of both.
    And gain the unsprung weight back with the spacer? Come on, really?
    Chris "The Cat Killer" Childs
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777
    angrysheepmotorsports.com

IT,SM,SS,Touring, and Super Touring

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit07 View Post
    And gain the unsprung weight back with the spacer? Come on, really?
    Not sure if you are being serious or not but nice aluminum spacers are not heavy. Not super cheap, but not heavy.
    Andy Bettencourt

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    Not sure if you are being serious or not but nice aluminum spacers are not heavy. Not super cheap, but not heavy.
    Go weigh one of your nice spacers and see if it's less than the .4 lbs he is talking about. Really?

remember it needs to be a 12mm spacer also....
    Last edited by Rabbit07; 02-22-2012 at 09:25 PM. Reason: bad math
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777

It's .4lbs or about 6 1/2 oz...but 12mm is thick...we only have 10's at the shop. I'll weigh.
    Andy Bettencourt

Andy,

I use wheel spacers all the time to ; Tune, clear brakes, ect. Never to save weight. It's hard for me to believe you can have the best of both worlds with a lighter wheel that you just added a spacer to? Lighter is faster, wider is sometimes faster, but they don't always fit in the same box.
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit07 View Post
    Andy,

I use wheel spacers all the time to ; Tune, clear brakes, ect. Never to save weight. It's hard for me to believe you can have the best of both worlds with a lighter wheel that you just added a spacer to? Lighter is faster, wider is sometimes faster, but they don't always fit in the same box.
    Well you never use them to save weight, obviously. You use them to save money. Money that would have to be spent on a custom wheel in some cases. But if the weight is negligible (TBD by user), then you can save the money, get your offset and not sacrifice too much in unsprung. To me, if your lightweight choice is 12mm off, that is significant (provided you didn't just add a ton of drag). It would outweigh (pun intended) adding 6oz of center mass to the corner IMHO. YMMV.
    Andy Bettencourt

I wouldn't go with a smaller offset and then use spacers, as it seems self defeating to me.

But what I would really like the advice on from you guys who have many years of experience is the original question of which is better: 12mm wider track (6mm on each side) or 0.8 lbs less unsprung weight?

Chris, I'm particularly interested in your opinion as I know you have tons of experience in FWD cars on many of the same tracks I run.
    #88 ITA Integra
    CFR SEDiv

get a 3mm spacer and throw your Kosei's on to see if they fit well. if they do, get the 35s. if they don't, get the 41s and space them out. don't cloud your mind with the very small added weight.

Quote Originally Posted by worthyking View Post
    I wouldn't go with a smaller offset and then use spacers, as it seems self defeating to me.

But what I would really like the advice on from you guys who have many years of experience is the original question of which is better: 12mm wider track (6mm on each side) or 0.8 lbs less unsprung weight?

Chris, I'm particularly interested in your opinion as I know you have tons of experience in FWD cars on many of the same tracks I run.
    As a tuning tool my personal preference is to always go with the wheel that tucks in the wheel well the best. Then use spacers to play with track. The reasoning is that a wider track wheel can not be made narrower, but the opposite can happen. Say you are at a small tight track with not much straights. You may want to widen the track to gain some handling. Perhaps even widen just the front to help with rotation. On a long course you may want to tuck the wheels a bit for aero. Even though, this is trade off, even at the big track. Wheels sticking out beyond the body work hurts your aero, and your brake cooling. Not many people realize the later.

I am not sure I could answer your question definatively regarding the compromise. Test, Test, and Test again.

This will blow your mind a bit though, I have found that the "heavier" well ballanced car is usually faster than the "lighter" not so well balanced car. Put the weight where you want it so to speak. Track specific of course.
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777

I'm not sure on a Integra, but on a Civic the 41mm offset Rpf-1's fit much better. The 35mm offset will rub on the inner fender liner unless the Fender's Rolled.

Quote Originally Posted by worthyking View Post

I think at our level you would never know the difference. You probably won't even feel a difference going to the lighter wheel (although there WILL be a difference, you just won't be able to feel it)
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

What Jeff said.

The Spring/wheel rate changes with track change.
    Wider softens the wheel rate. 10mm each side is noticeable. 5mm maybe not.
    If you want to figure wheel rate VS spring rate. Extend the strut centerline down to the ground. mark the center. Mark the center of the tire contact patch.
    Measure the length of the lower control arm pivot, to the tire center and to the strut center. Divide the shorter into the longer.
    Most are 95% or so.

Wider track also promotes weight transfer onto that tire sooner.
    IMHO, MM
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

I've got wheels everywhere from +45mm offset to +15mm offset, 14lb to 24lbs each. the only time I can tell a difference is when I go from my 14lb wheels to my 24lb wheels, and the car is a bit slower.
    otherwise, I can't tell a difference between the offsets or a 1-2lb/wheel weight difference.

If you can feel that in your driving, then you're a much better driver than me.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7