Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Pro-IT at NJMP with Grand-Am

gotchya... didn't realize it was with other cars. I was thinking it was with the BMW's... that changes everything about the contact.

Jake

what was up with the S2000? New car and rookie? Cool to see an S2000 out.
    The black S2000 is the car that Marc Cefalo built. It is now owned and driven by our Registrar Val Heun. I believe that this was her second or third weekend with the car. She struggled on Saturday but did better on Sunday.

Terry

The problem with the ITS/R and ITB mix is that a B car that's 2 seconds a lap faster can easily get held up on that track. A point by on the straight would have to be accompanied by a HUGE lift in order to make any difference, since to be effective the gimme has to leave the B car in front going into T1. That's asking a lot but if an S driver wants to give it up, they've gotta give big.

K

Another one whose been there in a B car. However, I know that's just part of the game for a few turns. When I get frustrated and make a bolder move is when it happens for a couple of laps. Then again if you had been in 1st, it wouldn't have been as big of a problem.

Many (most?) ITS cars would not have let you by on the straight. Hell, I've been yelled at by ITS cars for not letting them by and I'm not talking about someone whose lapping me. I thought THAT was funny!
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Thanks for the feedback guys. Was just trying to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by monsterbronco View Post
    Half of Saturdays race before i had to drop out from a brake problem.
    https://vimeo.com/42237419
    Wes, do you think you'll be able to be back out for the third round on June 3?

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    The problem with the ITS/R and ITB mix is that a B car that's 2 seconds a lap faster can easily get held up on that track.
    I would maintain that this is true on almost any track unless the B driver trusts the S/R driver to realize the B car is making something happen and the S/R driver expects such a move. (E.g. going into the S car at Summit's turn 5... you can do it and make it stick, but are you going to trust that an unknown driver in a car that should clean your clock won't turn down on you? Or getting the nose to the inside in the carousel at Summit... same problem.)

Drew,

I dont think i will make it back out for round 3 . I came back to some crazy work stuff this week so I am not sure when i will get the chance to tear down and fix the car... If I cant do it to drive, I still might come to watch/help out.
    Wes
    29 ITS

Aw bummer. Hopefully the stars will align for you.

I am not sure if this helps or makes things worse - but I have some footage of the first lap of Saturday's race......this is the first time that i have tried doing this (uploading to Youtube) - let's see if it works! Rob Foley's white Honda and the "other" black VW...........

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbpM08bToRo[/ame]
    Tim Mullen
    # 86 ITB
    2006 NERRC Champion - ITB
    2006 NARRC Champion - ITB

Tim:

You've got a future as the new Fellini!

There wasn't any contact coming out of the chicane until the the very last move left by the #54 VW, when I was clearly pointed straight. There was plenty of room for him to make a clean pass there at that point. At least 4 or 5 feet of pavement to his right.

I was trying to get around the BMW, by staying middle right and holding more inside into 6.

<sigh>
    Rob Foley
    Race: ITB '87 CRX Si
    Autocross: GP '86 Civic Si

I've debated on whether to give my 2 cents......which is probably worth less than that........

1) A hand gesture? I wouldn't get too wound up about it. Happens all the time. If it goes to the next level, that's when its bad......

2) I've been at tracks like Pocono and Watkins Glen (power tracks) where I have been fighting for first or second....... and fighting for a championship..... and gotten mixed in with the second tier of ITS/ITR cars. It is MADDENING!! As time went on, the pass attempts got riskier and riskier..... some guys were clueless, one guy knew it but when approached nicely after, his comment was that he was worried about losing his 6th position.......... Seriously, if I'm glued to your ass at a power track, you need to get out of the way or take up stamp collecting......

I know this is going to be an unpopular opinion with some.......... but it is what it is......

On edit: I did watch bits and pieces of Rob's video but missed the incident with Drew so this isn't a comment on THAT specific incident.
    Last edited by JLawton; 05-17-2012 at 09:55 AM.
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Rob, did you talk to the black VW guy? his love tap may have been a response to your apparent weaving as your car danced around. Or he may have assumed that you'd move over once the BMW squirted away and started a move...

You mentioned other contact with the same car?
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

my .5 cent, there seemed to be lots of unorthodox steering inputs... need to be smooth
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

My last reply on the subject. I agree that from Tim's video my cars shows a big jump at the chicane exit. Going back to my video (the Vimeo link) at the same spot, there are no exaggerated inputs, this is a slow 19:1 steering rack, and my in-car view exiting the corner is not visibly un-smooth until the side-to-side impact.

I was running an R6 front/A6 rear tire combo which was causing some sideways hop at the rear in this race, very much at the T2 exit and probably here too. That may be what is seen.
    Rob Foley
    Race: ITB '87 CRX Si
    Autocross: GP '86 Civic Si

Thank you all being IT dudes... and allowing us to voice our opinions within reason. That's what makes us so good
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

Here is my video from Rd.1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTMwo...ature=youtu.be

I had no idea that my buddy overlayed the video and posted it on his youtube account for me. Been out on the left coast since the race weekend because my lil' bro just graduated med school. Never been to cali before and it is incredible out here...cars don't age...

Hopefully I can post video from Rd.2 in a few days when I return. Both races were some of the most intense I have ever been part of. Being out there racing door to door with Will Turner and Mike Marsal was an unexpected surprise and alot of fun, the Turner guys are a true class act.

It was a real treat to race during a pro weekend. Thanks to everyone involved who helped make it happen, hope we can do it again. My Mom got to ride in the pace car to start the race and she had the best Mother's Day ever!
    John Hainsworth #95 ITS RX7
    2012 & 2013 Fidelity Power Systems Pro-IT Series Champion
    max-attack.net

Wow! Could they have left any more cars out on the side of the track??

But nice race! Too bad about the Autotechnic car tho....

Thanks John for the awesome video - great run with the Turner guys and Dan! Congrats for the win - that one goes in the records!

And I too feel sorry for Rob Driscoll's nice car - big bummer.
    Rob Thiele - BMW 328is ITR
    www.motorsportcollection.com

That was a stellar move by the guy in the red BMW, heaving the backmarker Miata into the daisies at about 20 minutes into the video.

K