Thread: 2004 Mini Cooper S battery box

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 2004 Mini Cooper S battery box

Will the rules allow me to remove the battery box located in the rear in my 2004 Mini Cooper S to allow for a straight exhaust pipe?

Can't answer that specific question but I'd be interested in hearing more about the build. Was it an old SSB car?
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

My initial thought is "no", but I'd like to learn more. Is this a box that extends down from the trunk floor, like a regular spare tire well? do you have any photos to illustrate?

My thought is NO you can't. I almost think you want to have it because it's got a nice factory heat shield that bolts to it that could be considered a bit of a factory Diffuser. (better then the big parachute of a rear bumper my car has). But if someone were to get really Anal that would mean they would start with a cooper instead of an S and just call it a day.

Greg, Yes the Box extends down from the floor in the rear into the spare tire area. The Coopers Do not have it. It's pretty well the ONLY difference in the actual body between a cooper and a Cooper S. The battery box changes shape some what thoughout the years. Not sure why mini made changes but an 04 exhaust won't fit an 05 due to the battery box being a different shape. The other major difference is that the Cooper doesnt' have a hood scoop and therefore has a more aerodynamic hood. All the Cooper S stuff bolts right into a cooper.

Greg, I'd like to ask on the Cooper S. Could someone run a Cooper S GP. It's a limited addition that is an S JCW with some nice aero body work (including a full underbelly pan factory). And therefore if the GP is legal for the class could a regular S then receive all the GP body work since it's really just bolt on parts. Or what would someone need to do to run the GP goodies rather then cutting up a rather rare street car that has no real difference to a regular S other then a ported cylinder head (changeable in STU) and a Pulley (JCW pulley already allowed) and bolt on body work. I do believe the Grand-Am Mini's run the Full GP body work. Including the GP rear suspension which swaps the rear trailing arm for a aluminum one also found in the 2007 and newer Mini's running the peugeot engine.

Ian
    Last edited by Mrsideways; 02-21-2012 at 06:14 PM.
    Ian
    #16 STU S2000 with a K24(and still over weight)

Quote Originally Posted by Mrsideways View Post
    Greg, Yes the Box extends down from the floor in the rear into the spare tire area. The Coopers Do not have it. It's pretty well the ONLY difference in the actual body between a cooper and a Cooper S.
    Then I suggest it's compliant to remove it. Remember, there's no VIN rule, and no requirement to start with any specific body when you install an engine. So if it's not there on the non-S, then you can legitimately remove it in the S, and just claim you started with a non-S...

Could someone run a Cooper S GP. It's a limited addition that is an S JCW with some nice aero body work (including a full underbelly pan factory). And therefore if the GP is legal for the class could a regular S then receive all the GP body work since it's really just bolt on parts.
    Compliant, IMO. Any car delivered in the US can be used, and you can install any compliant engine. And, you can install the GP goodies on a regular car and call it a GP.

GA

Ok this one maybe a long shot but along the same lines the mini is currently speced as saying it can run the jcw pulley but with stock injectors. Could one claim to start with a jcw and therefore run the larger injectors that come with the jcw stock?
    Ian
    #16 STU S2000 with a K24(and still over weight)

Quote Originally Posted by seewavedr View Post
    Will the rules allow me to remove the battery box located in the rear in my 2004 Mini Cooper S to allow for a straight exhaust pipe?
    The rules do allow modification of the floor pan -you could run the exhaust out the side of the car if you wanted.