Thread: Helmet Discussion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Helmet Discussion

Time for a new helmet. I'm replacing my SA2000 Bell M2.

I'm looking at the Bell M4 for around $380 and the G-Force Pro Eliminator for around $250.

Any quantifiable differences for the significant cost difference?
    What are people's feelings on the price difference vs. ability to protect vs value, etc.?

I'm mindful of the "ten dollar helmet for ten dollar head." I want a good helmet and willing to pay a fair price, but see no need to buy more than I need. (Not interested in fashion or graphics.)

Thanks for people's input.

I just replaced the same M2 you have with an M4.

My M2 was a large and fit perfectly , so I ordered a large M4 , it swallowed my head , so big I could almost pull it off . The medium M4 fits just like my old M2 large

I don't have a clue as to protection M2 vs M4 , but I like my M4 , it may be a touch lighter , it's pre drilled for HANS and the vents might be a little better

Bell had to change the exterior shell of a lot of their helmets to conform with the SA2010 specs. Many of the helmet sizes changed. I have been a Bell Medium size helmet wearer for ten years, now I wear a Small. Double check the size chart to make sure that you get the right helmet.

The Bell M4 is a great helmet, that has all the features you would need as a sedan racer, full face helmet with a closeable visor, reasonable weight, some venting and predrilled anchor points for the HNR of your choice.

cheers
    dave parker
    "Ignore All Confrontations With Common Sense."

Any thoughts on Bell (or Simpson or other high-end brands) versus G-Force (or HJC or similar cheaper brands)?

Replaced my Bell forced air with a carbon fiber Pyrotech top forced air. Much lighter and found on line for 540 shipped. Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

GMan
    Ok, lets set some ground points first.
    High end helmets:
    Arai
    Stand 21
    Stilo
    Schubert (Euro only)
    Sparco

Helmets with a wide range (low cost to big bucks)
    Bell
    GForce
    HJC
    Simpson
    Pyrotect

Things to consider:
    1. As the price of a helmet goes up, two things happen, weight comes down and you get more features like venting, forced air, aerodynamics, and HNR posts already installed. Also higher quality interior Nomex, better fit and finish.
    2. All the venting and aerodynamic features are worthless on a closed cockpit sedan (like most IT cars).

Try on as many helmets as you can. Go with the one that fits your head the best.
    A properly fitting helmet will be very snug (almost too tight) around the crown of your head (just above your eyebrows and just above your ears). The cheek pads should come right up to and push on your cheeks.
    As you wear the helmet the soft foam cushioning will compress and "mold" to your head. A helmet that fits loosely when brand new is too big.
    Wear the helmet for about ten minutes in the store. It should be snug but not constricting, your face should not be bright red, and you should not have a headache from wearing it.

Remember you get what you pay for. While all the helmets are meeting the same standard, the quality of fit and finish of a helmet will be increase as the price goes up.

Clear as mud?

cheers
    dave parker
    "Ignore All Confrontations With Common Sense."

I have a Bell and a Gforce....Both appear to be well made but you should consider how long Bell has been in the business, even though it is more expensive.
    Last edited by BruceG; 02-21-2012 at 04:58 PM.

Bought a Bell BR-1 a few years back. Couldn't be happier, recommended it to others, and they did not like. Lesson learned? Like a few above said, try on several.

On the flip side, a Simpson Voyager just crushes my head and gives me head aches.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

just another data point.. I had a Pyrotect SA2000 in Medium. it was just a bit loose for my tastes.
    I replaced it with an SA2010 of same size, and I can barely squeeze my fat face into it. I have to be careful not to bite my cheeks if I open my mouth while driving.

so while the new Bells are running larger, the Pyrotect are running smaller.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Was a Bell fan since 1983. Got an HJC last year (used off eBay).

Much better helmet!

I have had Bell M4's, and will probably stick with them - best bank for the buck IMHO. I have a hard time with head measurements, so I always try it on before I buy. BTW, try it on the way you will wear it while racing - single layer head socks add about a 1/4 inch to head circumference, double layer adds about a half inch.
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

I had a M2 -it had a wide eyeport, which was nice. I now use an OMP Speed, which has a rally/touring car style visor but is still full face.

You can spend a few hundered or a few thousand on a helmet - best bet is to try a few on. I recall not liking the fit or the G-Force, and disliking the fir of the Pyrotect, and liking the Bell, but they were all perfectly good helmets.