Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ST Impact on IT...?

Default ST Impact on IT...?

So as ST gets off the ground for the 2012 season, do we think that it's taking entries from IT...? There's obviously a couple of ex-IT people involved but is its presence hurting IT entries? What do we think?

K

I've been wondering the same thing.

All of our ( Feb - Sept ) races are rationals or double nationals so I'm planning to run my ITA compliant car in STL. I'm not going to do anything that will make my ITA car non compliant in ITA until this thing settles out.

The bad news is that our 1st race is next weekend and I'm the only entrant in STL and there are no ITA entrants. Last year we had 9-10 ITA entrants.

What is goofy is that 2 of the 5 STU entrants are miatas that are eligible for STL

Sure would be easier ( and cheaper ) to eliminate regional and national so I don't have to build a motor for STL.

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    So as ST gets off the ground for the 2012 season, do we think that it's taking entries from IT...? There's obviously a couple of ex-IT people involved but is its presence hurting IT entries? What do we think?

K
    Maybe/maybe not, it's hard to tell. ITR is just about doa no matter what, (a wreck, a blown motor, and a motor swap.) At our first DR/N we had 11 (Sat) and 10 (Sun) ITA cars, two STL cars that could be ITA cars and one Pro-7. For our Rational next weekend, we've got 5 ITA (a couple are DD-SM's), 1 ITS car vs. 1 radial sedan and 1 Pro-7, the STL cars are in a different run group...

Contrast last years numbers... for the January DR/N we had 4 (Sat), and 1 (Sun) ITA, and 1 ITC car, and the February race 5 ITA cars and 1 ITC
    Last edited by Z3_GoCar; 02-19-2012 at 12:07 AM.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

ST takes IT cars - some people just prefer the ST ruleset. I know of 4 or 5 guys locally that moved to ST. But I think the flow of real transition cars will be a steady trickle, not a real worry.

that said, I've seen a ton of double dipping but I don't think our IT numbers are off, certainly not by a lot. Most of those I see are are ITA and S cars. I do see a good amount of "IT" cars at nationals, and I put that in quotes because I'm not sure if they all run in full IT trim. it has to affect the IT race budgets to be running nationals, so I anticipate some drop in attendance from that, but I'm not worried about it.

Well at the Sebring race last week we had 25 ITA entraints and only 3 STL which were all double dippers. As for the rule set of STL its written for the Honda crowd primarly and the Miata crowd. There is no way I should have to add 85lbs to my ITA Neon if I were to move it to STL. I know I can run as a ITA car in STL but to actually be competitive in STL you would have to build it to STL specs and to have to add 85LBS is absurd, especially with the weights the Integra's and Miata's can run at. Someone needs to wake up and realize the ones who are writing the rules this year for STL are setting it up for them to win a National Championship because the cars they drive have all the rules in their favor.
    Darryl Pritchett
    ITA #92 Dodge Neon
    2008 SE DP Champion
    2010 CFL Region ITA Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Pritchett View Post
    Well at the Sebring race last week we had 25 ITA entraints and only 3 STL which were all double dippers. As for the rule set of STL its written for the Honda crowd primarly and the Miata crowd. There is no way I should have to add 85lbs to my ITA Neon if I were to move it to STL. I know I can run as a ITA car in STL but to actually be competitive in STL you would have to build it to STL specs and to have to add 85LBS is absurd, especially with the weights the Integra's and Miata's can run at. Someone needs to wake up and realize the ones who are writing the rules this year for STL are setting it up for them to win a National Championship because the cars they drive have all the rules in their favor.
    Well, how about you take an ITR Honda S2000 and run it in STL. You get wheels wider by 1.5", AND you get to race a chassis that is forbidden if you run it in STL guise. IIRC the engine is near the max allowed by STL mods anyway.

Yea, there are some logic inequities, but that's partly because the ruleset is based on theoretical maximums and ignores stock componentry that limits things to less than theoretical maximums.

On edit, I just saw your last sentence. Now those that know me know I've been critical of members of my own committee (the ITAC, when i was a member) and the CRB, but I never accused them of writing rules to promote their own racing effort. Thats thin ice you're on.
    As a matter of fact, I know a STAC member, and while we might differ on the STL basic philosophy, I'm pretty darn sure he's not writing rules for his own car. Especially when he just spent lots of time and money getting his car to lose weight, and now, due to a rule change, he will have to bolt 80 pounds right back in.
    Last edited by lateapex911; 02-20-2012 at 02:42 AM.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I don't Think it will have any noticable impact at all. I would be shocked if it ever became bigger than ITE. It may dwindle numbers in that class though...

As 1 or 2 people get serious about the class the cost will become huge. coupled with small fields I just don't see it taking off.

Stephen

My opinion B-spec has a better chance to take away entries and I don't see that happening either!

trying to edit but it wont let me...

Just wanted to add that I think it attracts a different group of people that would have probably run ITE or similar class. Not that it is a bad class just not at all like IT with a constantly changing target for rules and lots of $$ mods that require more mechanical knowledge IMHO.

Stephen

... Someone needs to wake up and realize the ones who are writing the rules this year for STL are setting it up for them to win a National Championship because the cars they drive have all the rules in their favor.
    If you honestly think that's the case, you need to make a formal complaint with the national office and your area director.

Or shut the hell up and post an apology here.

K

Someone needs to wake up and realize the ones who are writing the rules this year for STL are setting it up for them to win a National Championship because the cars they drive have all the rules in their favor.
    Right, because my 2.3L BMW fits perfectly in STL.

I suggest you think before you type, because clearly here you did not.

If you have something of value to add, I suggest you send in a resume to the CRB and request to join the STAC. If you don;t you can hang out on the forums and make stuff up about people you obviously don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip42 View Post
    ST takes IT cars - some people just prefer the ST ruleset. I know of 4 or 5 guys locally that moved to ST. But I think the flow of real transition cars will be a steady trickle, not a real worry.

that said, I've seen a ton of double dipping but I don't think our IT numbers are off, certainly not by a lot. Most of those I see are are ITA and S cars. I do see a good amount of "IT" cars at nationals, and I put that in quotes because I'm not sure if they all run in full IT trim. it has to affect the IT race budgets to be running nationals, so I anticipate some drop in attendance from that, but I'm not worried about it.
    I think once STL has it's own race at the Runoffs you may see more cars being built. I also think one thing many people don't realize, is that STL is Super Touring Lite...But it is still Super Touring, not Super Improved Touring.

Quote Originally Posted by JS154 View Post
    Right, because my 2.3L BMW fits perfectly in STL.

I suggest you think before you type, because clearly here you did not.

If you have something of value to add, I suggest you send in a resume to the CRB and request to join the STAC. If you don;t you can hang out on the forums and make stuff up about people you obviously don't know.
    I hope you realize that those who run domestic made equiptment won't be helped by including select eur/asian market motors.

Daryle, I suggest that if you can't beat them then you might be able to join them. MBSA (South Africa) makes Honda products under license, and you drive a product of Daimler/Chrysler... so it might be argued that you can install the class beating Acura powertrain in your Neon??
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

The primary impact on me is that Andy Bettencourt keeps bugging me to let him drive my ITR S2000 in an STL race.

And he will! June 8-9 at Lime Rock.

Steve Ulfelder
    Author of Purgatory Chasm and The Whole Lie
    www.ulfelder.com

Okay I will apologize for the statement made of making the rules in their favor, however this is a forum of opinions but I could have or should have worded it differently.

With that said name one car that will compete with the Intergra and its WHP or the Miata. Then we will just wait and see what kind of car dominates this class.
    Darryl Pritchett
    ITA #92 Dodge Neon
    2008 SE DP Champion
    2010 CFL Region ITA Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Z3_GoCar View Post
    I hope you realize that those who run domestic made equiptment won't be helped by including select eur/asian market motors.

Daryle, I suggest that if you can't beat them then you might be able to join them. MBSA (South Africa) makes Honda products under license, and you drive a product of Daimler/Chrysler... so it might be argued that you can install the class beating Acura powertrain in your Neon??
    Ford Zetec? or Sigma? 1.7L VCT at 153 base hp would help.

Quote Originally Posted by JS154 View Post
    I think once STL has it's own race at the Runoffs you may see more cars being built. I also think one thing many people don't realize, is that STL is Super Touring Lite...But it is still Super Touring, not Super Improved Touring.
    If this is true then it points out a problem with the way we develop new classes. We should be creating classes that are so interesting and so compelling that people join the class because they want to. And then the organic growth of the class will lead to a runoffs race. Not the other way around.

B-Spec is another example of this, we're so excited about the pro races we forget to build the class from the bottom up.

If STL grows it could be good for IT. It would not be a bad thing to get the drivers who want to tinker and push the envelope of the IT philosophy into a class where that kind of development is part of the class design. One of the things that hurts a mature class like IT is the perception (right or wrong) that you need an engineering degree to complete. Trimming the pointy end of the field might lead to higher overall participation.
    Jim Hardesty
    ITC 1986 Honda Civic Diablo Rojo Verde
    Never argue your tab at the end of the night. Remember, you're hammered and they’re sober.

Okay I will apologize for the statement made of making the rules in their favor, however this is a forum of opinions but I could have or should have worded it differently.

With that said name one car that will compete with the Intergra and its WHP or the Miata. Then we will just wait and see what kind of car dominates this class.
    Darryl,

Help me understand your point. Yes, you have to add weight but think of the extra power you can make when you add compression, cams, etc to the Neon motor. Then in theory, you have more power to compensate for the extra weight.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Obviously Darryl can chime in, but I believe his point is relative. He has to add weight to the car moving from A to STL and doesn't think the added power bump compensates for it.

I may be wrong but I think with the displacement formula the Integras lose weight going from IT to STL and get the power increase.

Then, layer Jake's very perceptive point on top of this: STL is all about theoretical power whether your car can make it or not.

In short, I think what Darryl is saying is that the 2.0 liter displacement advantage is really a penalty and motors that can't achieve their specific output potential even within the STL ruleset lose out.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    Darryl,

Help me understand your point. Yes, you have to add weight but think of the extra power you can make when you add compression, cams, etc to the Neon motor. Then in theory, you have more power to compensate for the extra weight.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

I guess I didn't read that kind of thought into his post. What *I* think he is saying is that the rules state that if he wants to run his IT car in STL, he has to gain weight. No mention of additional prep etc.

Maybe I am wrong, hence the clarification question. Any estimates on what an STL 2.0L will produce?

We are all in agreement that the Honda's are well positioned to dominate the class and the more I hear the more I 100% believe it was originally conceived as a Honda/FWD swap class. Barriers are being put up and clarifications are being made to protect that original philosophy. No problems, just crazy limiting as we have beaten to death before. 'They' want a FWD Honda swap class, so be it. It won't survive. ESPECIALLY when someone like Drago builds a Miata that, on paper, isn't a match for a well built and well driven HondAcura and his prep and driving make everyone look foolish. It will create ridiculous FUD, weight and limits will ensue and the class will die...

Just my prediction.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    Obviously Darryl can chime in, but I believe his point is relative. He has to add weight to the car moving from A to STL and doesn't think the added power bump compensates for it.

I may be wrong but I think with the displacement formula the Integras lose weight going from IT to STL and get the power increase.

Then, layer Jake's very perceptive point on top of this: STL is all about theoretical power whether your car can make it or not.

In short, I think what Darryl is saying is that the 2.0 liter displacement advantage is really a penalty and motors that can't achieve their specific output potential even within the STL ruleset lose out.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

I have decided recently that the guys on the STAC have all lost their minds. My new goal is to build the 99 Miata I have into an ITS car and run it in ITS and STL. That way it just costs me less money in Lead, Camshafts, Pistons, and tuning.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it!
    Chris "The Cat Killer" Childs
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777
    angrysheepmotorsports.com

IT,SM,SS,Touring, and Super Touring