So ive been out of racing for a short while - started in itc w/ a dodge colt then to its w/ a rx7, off to american sedan w/ a front runner, then to dsr radical. life took over and i systematically sold them all. i have time and want to get back into racing so here is my question:

i have 2 1985 vw sciroccos w/ the 1.8L and the cis injection that i will build for myself and a client. are these cars (if built properly and leaving the driver out of it) front runner competitive in the class? i am taking all the "if's" out and just need a straight answer. if they are not, what is "the" car to own in ITB? my mechanic is a vw nut and seems to think that these will be competitive but as a past racer, what looks good on paper doesnt always translate to the track. I have a full cnc machine shop, the guys and equipment to build a top alms gt car if we wanted to but we are not wanting that. just a fun weekend racer to get back into it. can anyone help with a straight answer? also if the car will work, where to begin to start to find the parts (suspension, engine, etc) that are the go-fast units?

Michael