Thread: ITB build question

Exclamation ITB build question

So ive been out of racing for a short while - started in itc w/ a dodge colt then to its w/ a rx7, off to american sedan w/ a front runner, then to dsr radical. life took over and i systematically sold them all. i have time and want to get back into racing so here is my question:

i have 2 1985 vw sciroccos w/ the 1.8L and the cis injection that i will build for myself and a client. are these cars (if built properly and leaving the driver out of it) front runner competitive in the class? i am taking all the "if's" out and just need a straight answer. if they are not, what is "the" car to own in ITB? my mechanic is a vw nut and seems to think that these will be competitive but as a past racer, what looks good on paper doesnt always translate to the track. I have a full cnc machine shop, the guys and equipment to build a top alms gt car if we wanted to but we are not wanting that. just a fun weekend racer to get back into it. can anyone help with a straight answer? also if the car will work, where to begin to start to find the parts (suspension, engine, etc) that are the go-fast units?

Michael

simple answer... NO
    Buy Dave Grans Honda if you want one of the fastest cars for ITB or if you want to be a Dub (VW guy ) then buy Tristans Brimtech Golf. You can't get a better deal than either of those and many think the Golf is "the" car for the class. (I do)

Stephen
    Last edited by StephenB; 02-12-2012 at 08:36 PM.

i would also suggest you buy tristan's car and see you posted there.

good luck!
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Not withstanding the good ideas mentioned above, to answer your original question, the Mark II can be competitive in ITB. Search around here for Kirk Knetsis' posts - he has one of the more competitive examples of the marque in the country, as far as I know. You might also talk to Cameron at RennGruppe who helped build and maintain the thing.
    Hero To The Momentum Challenged

Quote Originally Posted by Wreckerboy View Post
    Not withstanding the good ideas mentioned above, to answer your original question, the Mark II can be competitive in ITB. Search around here for Kirk Knetsis' posts - he has one of the more competitive examples of the marque in the country, as far as I know. You might also talk to Cameron at RennGruppe who helped build and maintain the thing.
    I think Kirk has a MKIII Golf.

If I were a VW guy looking to get into ITB, I would buy Tristan's car in a NY minute. Then the OP can build up a MKII 'Rocco and use the MKIII Golf as the bogey.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

In our class -- power to weight based -- I think the cars that with the right infusion of money and time that can't be competitive are few and far between.

This car (Scirocco) is probably not the "easy button" but it has its advantages.

It's not been done, so who knows, but I wouldn't and couldn't flat out say its not competitive.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

To try to keep all of the responses in one place, if you ARE seriously thinking of shifting to Prod, you should do it from the outset rather than stop off in IT for a while on the way.

The chassis choice that makes a good LP Prod car doesn't necessarily make a good IT car, and vice-versa. And you can 'get out there' with a lower-spec LP car for the same money as an IT prepped to the same standards...

Now having said THAT, there is at least one pretty darned good LP Prod VW floating around out there for sale.

K

Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Michael
    Straight answer, NO.
    The 1985 Scirocco is not a good platform for winning in ITB. Yes, it has really good aerodynamic numbers, yes it has the 1.8L engine. But it uses all A1 VW front suspension.
    Therefore you have the very weak front wheel hubs and bearings on a car that weighs more than a Rabbit. Breaking a front hub on one of these cars is the perfect catalyst for a spectacular crash.

Could you race and have fun, yes. Would you have a chance at winning? Probably not.

Your Mileage May Vary.

cheers
    dave parker
    "Ignore All Confrontations With Common Sense."

so the gist is for me to turn these roccos into prod cars. now if i can find someone who has the fibreglass or carbon body panels, the rest is easy (any leads would be appreciated). im looking at tristen's golf as well as a crx ita car that just came back on the market (raced by bob moser). i need twins so this is the only catch. it will take me most of the season to build and test the prod cars properly so back to my it roots i go! thanks for all the input.

Looking at the proposed changes to the Golf 3 in FP, it may still be worth consideration for an IT to Prod path.

The ITB Scirocco can be competitive at tighter tracks, but is saddled with more weight than the Rabbit GTI with identical chassis and drivetrain. If I had one, I would write a letter asking for the weight to be reviewed by the ITAC. It is a good HP car, but I don't think quite as good as the Honda or the Golf 2 - neither of which are as good as anything that Superman preps and drives.

The Golf 2 is capable of winning in ITB, but gives up power to the other front runners, which makes it hard at the ARRC. It is a great HP car though.

For Prod building I don't know any sources for composite body parts for the S2 or Golf 3 There are some for the Golf 2, and S1.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com