My bran spankin’ new Regional Competition license came in the mail and is burning a hole in my pocket. I’m jumping into club racing this season and need some expert guidance.

A little about me: I live in Athens, GA. and plan to compete in Improved Touring in the Southeast division.
I figure to spend $10-15k on a tow vehicle, $3-5k on an enclosed trailer, and $5-10K on a starter car, and $5-10K for an annual racing budget.

First, everything but the car.

Safety Equipment:
Drivers suit- How much suit do I need? I don’t want to skimp on safety equipment, nor do I want to buy way more suit than necessary. What is the difference between a $700 suit and a $1400 suit? What features should I look for- 2 vs. 3 layer, liner material, boot cut vs. cuffed, weight in gm/sqmt, brands, places to buy?

I also need nomex socks, underwear and a shirt- don’t I? Shoes and gloves- any recommendations?

I tend to get hot, and as I will be in the southeast- should I consider a cool shirt system off the bat, or wait and see?

The dreaded H&N restraint device- HANS vs. Safety Solutions vs. Simpson. Doesn’t the HANS require a specific seat type and belts? Where did that dang goaheadtakethewheel article go?

Getting the car there:

Enclosed trailer- I found a thread on sccaforums on towing that was helpful.

Anything to add? What size (20 vs. 24), what features (lighting, wench, entry ramp, sway control, axles and brakes), what are reliable brands I can get in the Atlanta area?

A 20’ trailer won’t fit in a standard 3 car garage, will it? Options for storing the car and/or trailer offsite?

Tow vehicle- If a 24’ weighs about 4000lbs and the car weighs about 3000lbs then I need about 8000 lbs of towing capacity, right? If I’m looking for a crew cab truck with 50-75k miles on it with this much capacity, what are my options? Ford F150, GMC Sierra 1500, Dodge Ram 1500, Toyota Tundra, anything else? Gas vs. Diesel? Rear wheel drive, four wheel drive?
I won’t be using it for a daily driver, only to haul to 6-8 events/yr.

The Race weekend:
Who crews for you? Hire a local mechanic for the weekend? Bribe my mechanically inclined friends? What options are available for track side mechanical support and then for repairs and maintenance when I’m not racing? How long are you at the track for a race weekend?

The car:
I want to purchase a built, turn key car that I can start racing immediately. So many options on the classifieds- RX-7, ITA miata, ITA Focus or Neon. If you were starting from scratch what would you choose? How do I ensure that the car is legal in its class? How do you test drive a race car? Who can I get to inspect and tech it prior to racing? What does the logbook include?

Race Events:
What events can I compete in with a regional license? What is the difference between IT and Pro-IT? What is an ECR race- does it include IT classes? What is a double national?

And Finally- is it worthwhile to rent a car for the first few races? How much does this cost? I don’t want to spend what could be ½ of my car budget on a one weekend rental. What are some reputable teams to rent from in the southeast?

If there is anyone in the SEDiv that would be willing to spare an hour or so on the phone or at the next event, please let me know.

Thanks,

Topher