Thread: Raising cage

Default Raising cage

I'd like to be able to raise the cage in my 300ZX in order to create some much needed headroom. There is about 1/2" - 1" that I can raise the cage by simply lifting it, but I can gain a lot more if I could just "make room." The GCR seems a little quiet in this subject except in the ITCS 9.f where it says that other than for installation of required safety equipment, no other driver/passenger compartment alterations or gutting are permitted.

What I'd like to do is cut out the areas of the ceiling circled in red, and replace them with new pieces/panels that serve the orignal purpose but allow the cage to be raised:

Any opinions on this? Legal? gray area? not legal?

Tm B
    timo

You cannot cut the roof panels but most techs I know will allow you to take a hammer and create some additional clearance for the main hoop if you're a tall person. This is technically not legal either but its one of those things that is addressed on a case-by-case basis.

If you have converted a T-roof to a slick top you are allowed to remove the T-roof hardware. And I have never met a tech person that would think ill of you making the car/cage safer with a little hammer work. I've done it on hundreds of cages and never had trouble.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by zchris View Post
    If you have converted a T-roof to a slick top you are allowed to remove the T-roof hardware. And I have never met a tech person that would think ill of you making the car/cage safer with a little hammer work. I've done it on hundreds of cages and never had trouble.
    Chris
    That's exactly what was done. If I could punch in the panel with the 2 bolts (in the 2nd pic) after removing the bolts and whatever is behind it, that will help a lot. The bracket tabto the left can stay, and I can bend them back. In the first pic I can punch in the panels circled I'd be in like Flynn. I prefer to do a more professional looking job, but if that's what it takes... and it will certainly make the car safer (head clearance).

Thx
    Tim
    timo

Forgot to say make sure you replace the rear facing main hoop supports as you are not allowed a bend in them.
    Chris

I'd pound it flat. Drilling a relief hole or two to help with the flattening wouldn't be a bad idea either. It isn't technically legal, but I don't see it as any different from the cutting/chopping/pounding that one has to do on some cars to fit a race seat in it. You're not saving any weight or gaining a competitive advantage, you're just trying to make your car comfortable and raceable.

Quote Originally Posted by zchris View Post
    Forgot to say make sure you replace the rear facing main hoop supports as you are not allowed a bend in them.
    Chris
    Chris - that's what has prompted this whole project. It's job 1.

Thx
    timo

Do what it takes. Proper installation of the cage trumps that sunroof bracing.