Thread: Strut tower braces

Default Strut tower braces

Howdy,

I searched, but didn't see the answers to all of these questions.

First really basic one... the book says:

Cars may add one (1) front stayrod, located in one of the
    following areas:
    [...]
    B. Between the upper strut towers on Mac-Pherson strut
    equipped cars.
    I should read this as one total, or one at the front and one at the rear? I wasn't sure if the point was to force someone to reinforce the top or bottom at each end of the car, or to only have one brace total on the car.

Second... No prohibition on welding here, right? So I can weld on a roll-cage-like landing pad to the side near the top of the strut tower, make a machined connector thing that welds to that, and have a 'stayrod' bolted to it?

Third... What's a "stayrod"? The book says:
    A rigid reinforcement bar or rod interconnecting opposite sides
    of a car at structurally significant locations.
    Is a piece of 1x6 rectangular tubing a bar or rod? How about if I put lightening holes in it? How about if its really two pieces of 1x1 tubing with a gusset between them? None of those is what I'd normally call a 'bar or rod', but lots and lots of strut tower braces I've seen look like that.

Appreciate the help!

Mark

No allowance for the rear.

You can fabricate a mount, yes, but it can't perform a prohibited function (like reinforcement of other mounts or the towers themselves.

Typically, a stayrod has been accepted as a rigid bar which acts under tension/compression, and thus most people interpret that as having rod ends. The bar itself is free, it's the attachment points where issues typically occur from what I've seen.
    Matt Green

ITAC Member- 2012-??
    Tire Shaver at TreadZone- www.treadzone.com
    #96 Dodge Shelby Charger ITB- Mine, mine, all mine!
    I was around when they actually improved Improved Touring! (and now I'm trying not to mess it up!)

Mark--Depending on what you have in the rear, you can have the down tubes from the cage go to that strut top area and then tie it accross with a bar that works as a atay bar.

There are many things possible with cages, their landing pads, etc.

Howdy,

Quote Originally Posted by joeg View Post
    Mark--Depending on what you have in the rear, you can have the down tubes from the cage go to that strut top area and then tie it accross with a bar that works as a atay bar.

There are many things possible with cages, their landing pads, etc.
    Thanks. I see that for sure. For this shell its not going to happen, as I don't want to redo the cage in it.

Mark