2330/2360

Dude, you need to get a social life!!! LOL
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

I think we ought to start put the CI on the hoods to now..or CC's...Why not.... right ? Its only another 5-10 bucks right ? ...and now that we have a set system for classing cars everyone can see if that car is classed properly or the competitor is within the rule set.

You should know the weight of your car, tell the scale guy and be done with it. I mean really ?? This isn't the Runoffs its a bunch of Guys/Girls getting together and having fun at the track on the weekends..I understand its point for like the Prod guys and the such and its easier ...but come on really ?

Sorry I agree with JJJ about the death by 1000 cuts or the straw that broke the camels back...the SCCA has been a real turn off for me this year..mostly its my personal situation..but I now need a H&NR , a new Helmet , window net , the usual maintenance on the car ..the entry fees aren't getting any lower..and now I got to find a spot on my car ..(which I care how my car looks ) for the weight of my car...which ,oh yeah, is still not correct..

Audi Coupe : 110 hp = 2500 #

And to top it off my car still runs like a bag of smashed assholes...

This isn't fun anymore...

-John
    John VanDenburgh

VanDenburgh Motorsports
    ITB Audi Coupe GT

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit05 View Post

Sorry I agree with JJJ about the death by 1000 cuts or the straw that broke the camels back...the SCCA has been a real turn off for me this year..mostly its my personal situation..but I now need a H&NR , a new Helmet , window net , the usual maintenance on the car ..the entry fees aren't getting any lower..and now I got to find a spot on my car....

-John
    not to mention the increase in competition license fees!
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

Quote Originally Posted by jjjanos View Post
    A sharpie on the side of the car employs far fewer people.
    I beg to differ. Sharpies and Duct tape are both made from petroleum products, among many other things. The petroleum industry employs 200,000 people in the Gulf of Mexico area alone. (I'm sitting on an oil rig in the middle of that swamp right now, BTW.)

So keep leaving the lids off your Sharpies and replace that 12" strip of duct tape every race. Thousands of rednecks and coonasses are relying on you!
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    We do it (weigh separately) at two tracks and the reason is pretty clear -- the scales at those tracks only weigh one axle at a time, so the procedure is front axle, rear axle, driver.
    Well that makes sense. I forgot about the single axle scales.

Thanks.
    John W8

CSP10 Miata
    ITA50 Miata

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    If you consider putting 2 new decals on your car for the sole purpose of making a group of volunteers job easier a PITA, then you don't care much, if at all. Success in this sport is largely the 'details'. This is a one-time, easy-to-do, 'detail' that helps us all.
    Helps us all? Hardly.

On most weekends what the hell does tech have to do other than weigh the cars and watch for 30 minutes to expire? It's basically the one thing they do on a regular basis.

But, I'll turn a new leaf and think of the children. You know, actually having impound is pretty tasking on tech, so we'll eliminate weighing the cars entirely -- that's pretty much all they do at impound. That's make it much easier on a group of volunteers. We're self-policing correct? You think someone is underweight, throw paper at them.

That pesky annual tech thing is pretty difficult too - what with looking for expiration dates and checking suits for holes and what not...so what we'll do is require drivers to bring in a signed-notarized statement that attests to their equipment being in compliance with the current SCCA rules. Show the paper at registration, get your tech sticker. Given the number roll bar and belt mounting violations I've seen on cars that passed annual tech, it should lower SCCA's liability too -- a win-win. They won't have that pesky problem of having said the main hoop consisting of two welded tubes having been approved by SCCA and I've never seen any driver need to climb into the car and wear the safety harness to show it's in compliance with where it will be worn.

It's another minor annoyance in a sanctioning body that is full of annoyances.

Helps us all? Hardly.

On most weekends what the hell does tech have to do other than weigh the cars and watch for 30 minutes to expire? It's basically the one thing they do on a regular basis.

But, I'll turn a new leaf and think of the children. You know, actually having impound is pretty tasking on tech, so we'll eliminate weighing the cars entirely -- that's pretty much all they do at impound. That's make it much easier on a group of volunteers. We're self-policing correct? You think someone is underweight, throw paper at them.

That pesky annual tech thing is pretty difficult too - what with looking for expiration dates and checking suits for holes and what not...so what we'll do is require drivers to bring in a signed-notarized statement that attests to their equipment being in compliance with the current SCCA rules. Show the paper at registration, get your tech sticker. Given the number roll bar and belt mounting violations I've seen on cars that passed annual tech, it should lower SCCA's liability too -- a win-win. They won't have that pesky problem of having said the main hoop consisting of two welded tubes having been approved by SCCA and I've never seen any driver need to climb into the car and wear the safety harness to show it's in compliance with where it will be worn.

It's another minor annoyance in a sanctioning body that is full of annoyances.
    Wow! You really have no frickin' clue. Work Tech one weekend and educate yourself. Just a couple notes:

1. It takes about 2 minutes to weigh each car from rolling it on the scale (for each axle) and then weighing the driver separate (per the GCR). We have to weigh the top 3 cars in each class and the stewards often ask us to weigh one or two other back markers in each class. Typically its 8 to 10 cars per run group. At least once during the day the stewards ask us to weight all of one class (SRF, Spec Miata, etc.)

2. A proper annual for a car that already has a log book takes 15 minutes if everything is correct. We do take the time and check roll cage numbers, belt expiration, fuel test ports, fuel cell certification, kill switch, etc. If its a new car that initial inspection takes at least an hour. We will probably have three or four brand new cars this weekend.

Please don't underestimate the work the Tech volunteers do. Please go work the Tech trailer one weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by betamotorsports View Post
    1. It takes about 2 minutes to weigh each car from rolling it on the scale (for each axle) and then weighing the driver separate (per the GCR). We have to weigh the top 3 cars in each class and the stewards often ask us to weigh one or two other back markers in each class. Typically its 8 to 10 cars per run group. At least once during the day the stewards ask us to weight all of one class (SRF, Spec Miata, etc.)
    So there's plenty of time to look up the cars' weight?

For them, but not for everyone.

The DC region has a proper whole car scale. Sub 15 seconds to weigh.

JJ, you need to take a chill pill. This isn't onerous and it helps a worker. Get off your high horse, remove your head from your sphincter, and get over it. IMHO, you buddy are the reason SCCA is dying a slow death. Who the F wants to come play on your sandbox? I know I don't....
    Enjoy,
    Bill

I have to say, some guys are spending way more time complaining about it than it does to stick the numbers on the car. Anything that helps move tech along is OK by me. I don't get it! Maybe it's got something to do with the mid winter miss my buddies and the action on the track blues, but really!

Art Jaso
    Former 1989 Toyota MR2 #55 ITB
    DC Region SCCA
    DC Region Board of Directors
    Coordinator of Racers Helping Racers Fund
    http://www.racershelpingracers.com/
    PDX/TT Committee Member
    PDX Co-Chief of Grid
    PDX Chief Technical Inspector
    SCCA Pit Marshall
    SCCA Pace Car
    SCCA F & C
    Producer of "Racing Summit Point" Video
    http://vimeo.com/67177646

Man, as a driver, this is embarrassing. I HOPE Jjjj isn't typical of the average driver, because the volunteers who come in here and read this will think we are all a bunch of pompous know it all selfish pricks.

Jeez you complainers, REALLY!?!?!?!
    Put the fuckin stickers on the car and shut the hell up!
    The tech guys get there first thing in the morning, and are the last to leave. If you think they just sit around all day, shut the hell up and actually work some spring day in tech. I am sure you will learn something if you have the capacity to have an open mind.

And even IF they sat around eating bon bons like the local cops at a dunkin donuts all day, they're serving US, the drivers, for free, so spend the $10 bucks (jjjjjj, aren't you a freakin lawyer or somebody who works some legal beagle job? yea yea, I know, it doesn't matter what you make, it's about the 'principle") and put a couple stickers on the car~

John, "Now I've got to find room on my car"? Really? You can't find 20 sq inches?????? You know how ridiculous that sounds? Sorry, I have respect for you and how you race, etc, but, re read that post of yours. It's not SCCAs fault your car runs like shit. Some of us (ITAC) volunteers fought until we were told to leave by the CRB to get your cars (and others in ITB (and ITA, etc) weights correct*. I've personally spent DAYS of my life on con calls, calling shops, and doing research about ITB. Do me a favor...don't thank me personally...thank me by treating volunteers who have a simple request well, and not making an embarrassing stink about it, l?
    Nothings perfect. Volunteers are helping you and I race. If we're going to complain about putting a 5" sticker on the car, I shudder to think of what we must be like to our wives and girlfriends and family.

*I'm no longer on the ITAC, because I was pushed into resigning over an issue fighting the CRB over ITB issues. Sorry your car isn't at the weight you prefer or think is correct.
    Last edited by lateapex911; 01-18-2012 at 03:27 PM.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

My point is visable=/=side of car. If it's suposed to be on the side of the car then that's what the rule should say. But it doesn't, it leaves it up to the car owner to place it some place visable. Also, as a corner worker I don't like to see additional numbers on the side, it's more likely to result in a wrong call. We're out there just as early/late as the tech team, and unlike them can't wonder about during our break. So, why would you want to piss us off by putting extra numbers on the side of your car?
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

I dunno.. how much time do you have?
    In SwDiv small bore, we have 7 national classes on the track at once. with regionals, we have 10 classes. usually the national classes have at least 3 each, and ITA has 3, with ITB having 1 or 2(haven't seen an ITC car here lately.)
    So that puts tech pushing 26 cars over the scales, then going back and checking off their other items too.

quite often, I'll take lunch by our tech shed since they're busy working the group 1 cars through and don't have a chance to eat lunch. In the hot TX summers, usually tech is just as drenched in sweat as I am after a 40 minute race in 105+heat... And they don't get cool suits.

As has been mentioned, why don't you spend a day or ten in the tech shed and help out? I'm sure they'll be happy to have someone help them push 100 cars over the ramps each day. Maybe gaining a little perspective on the situation will allow you to take less of a sourpuss view on the people that are working for free so you can race.

We're out there just as early/late as the tech team, and unlike them can't wonder about during our break. So, why would you want to piss us off by putting extra numbers on the side of your car?
    I dunno.. usually I get my "wondering" done during breaks by walking my section the track to look for debris.

.......If you get distracted by a 2" number next to a 12" number going by at 100mph, then by golly, you've got a helluva lot more time to look at a car than I do!
    Last edited by Matt93SE; 01-18-2012 at 04:42 PM.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

This is a joke thread, right? About stickers?

Because I don't see whats so bad about a sticker to display the weight.

Its a sticker!!!!!

I've been in that line to the scales at tech in July after a race. Not only do I get handed a cold water bottle, they give out ice cold towels as well. I want that line to move as fast as possible. And all they want is a sticker. I already have to change contingency stickers all the time, what's one more?

Just my 2 cents.

We got a lot of crap at Tech when the Safe Racer National stickers were required. And we gave those away for free. Its in the nature of drivers to complain.

Quote Originally Posted by betamotorsports View Post
    We got a lot of crap at Tech when the Safe Racer National stickers were required. And we gave those away for free. Its in the nature of drivers to complain.
    That was because of the 'I don't want to advertise anyone who I am not getting something from directly" mentality.

This thread is a joke. If it really chaps your ass that you have to put your minimum weight on the side of your car, then take the season off and find something less stressful, like mowing the lawn. #peoplewhoaren'thappyunlesstheyareunhappy
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Some people would argue with a supermodel about to give them a blowjob.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    That was because of the 'I don't want to advertise anyone who I am not getting something from directly" mentality.

This thread is a joke. If it really chaps your ass that you have to put your minimum weight on the side of your car, then take the season off and find something less stressful, like mowing the lawn. #peoplewhoaren'thappyunlesstheyareunhappy
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by EV View Post
    For them, but not for everyone.

The DC region has a proper whole car scale. Sub 15 seconds to weigh.
    And I bet they have a piece of paper that gives them the weight on my car that I've already entered in the automated registration system.

JJ, you need to take a chill pill. This isn't onerous and it helps a worker.
    I've already said I'll think of the children -- eliminate impound entirely. That will help the tech workers a hell of alot more wouldn't you say? Think someone is underweight, then throw paper like you need to do on everything else.

And while this isn't onerous. Neither was that, or that other thing over there or that do-hickey over on the other side or.... add a bunch of small things, none of which is a major PITA and you know what you get? Something that in aggregate becomes a major PITA.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt93SE View Post
    I dunno.. how much time do you have?
    In SwDiv small bore, we have 7 national classes on the track at once. with regionals, we have 10 classes. usually the national classes have at least 3 each, and ITA has 3, with ITB having 1 or 2(haven't seen an ITC car here lately.)
    So that puts tech pushing 26 cars over the scales, then going back and checking off their other items too.
    I think you would be hard-pressed to find an event in SWDiv where, other than an impound all, you would have 26 cars in impound at once. And if this is a problem for your region then address it in your region's supplemental regs, not the GCR or get a set of scales that lets the car drive on/off the scales.

Maybe gaining a little perspective on the situation will allow you to take less of a sourpuss view on the people that are working for free so you can race.
    First, eliminate the GCR-required impound entirely if weighing cars is too difficult or it is too hot. Think someone is cheating, then we are a self-policing organization -- throw paper.

Second, no, they don't do work for free so that anyone can race. The only thing you need to have a race is 2 race cars and 2 drivers.

Everything else is not required. These other things make it safer or reduces cheating or makes the racing more interesting or smooths some process but they aren't required. Most of us are very happy to have the things done by the vols, but when push comes to shove, those things aren't required. Half the flag stations unstaffed and the rest understaffed? We'll get in our cars and we'll race. Why? Because we're there to race and we've all been out on test days when there were even fewer people out on the stations.

Maybe we (SCCA) need to remember that all you need to have a race are the cars, especially since other sanctioning bodies are starting to kick our ass because they offer less hassle, less red tape and a better value for the money.

Art Jaso
    Former 1989 Toyota MR2 #55 ITB
    DC Region SCCA
    DC Region Board of Directors
    Coordinator of Racers Helping Racers Fund
    http://www.racershelpingracers.com/
    PDX/TT Committee Member
    PDX Co-Chief of Grid
    PDX Chief Technical Inspector
    SCCA Pit Marshall
    SCCA Pace Car
    SCCA F & C
    Producer of "Racing Summit Point" Video
    http://vimeo.com/67177646

I would have a problem with a male supermodel... not that there's anything wrong with that. :-)