Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Minimum weight display

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    Exactly. At WDCR events we do turn off the display that's visible to the driver when rolling over after a race. That's more of a precaution so that the driver doesn't summon his crew and have some additional ballast dumped into the car prior to being rolled back over the scales.
    That still has never made sense to me. The tech shed is a physical building and a controlled space so there should be no crew there to add ballast. As the driver I want to see the same data that the tech crew is seeing to determine my legality. It just removes another potential source of protest in my humble opinion.
    ~Matt Rowe
    ITA Dodge Neon
    NEDiv

My point being that as soon as you roll out of that building into that immense SPR impound area, which is not 100% under the watchful eye of the inspectors, something that weighs a few pounds (large buckets of water/ice, tools, etc) could find its way into the car before its pulled back into the shed and across the scales.

I've seen that attempted in a few places (like VIR).
    Gregg Ginsberg
    '96 Civic EX -- MARRS ITA #72
    WDCR-SCCA Rookie of the Year 2003
    MARRS ITA/T3 Drivers rep

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    Pic?
    All cars, during initial tech inspection, have to demonstrate where in the GCR their official weight is, and it's written on that event sticker:

Quote Originally Posted by Matt93SE View Post
    Jerry, while you mention our weights are on the stickers.. For a SowDiv race, would that be considered sufficient to meet this rule from your tech perspective? .
    Unless we start putting the tech stickers next to the class designator the tech sticker would not meet the rules requirement.
    Jerry

Lone Star Regional Executive
    Lone Star Tech Chief.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    Seeing as how this is an IT site, those issues are for you and your competitors to work out! I make it a point to know who I am running against.
    So I am hallucinating when I see the section labeled SUPER TOURING on the board index then?
    Jerry

Lone Star Tech Chief.

Quote Originally Posted by jhooten View Post
    So I am hallucinating when I see the section labeled SUPER TOURING on the board index then?
    This forum is, first and foremost, Improved Touring. Super Touring is "just being given a place to play, with no guarantee of competitiveness...."

Perfect. Thank you Sandro!

For what it is worth to the broader discussion. I am going to put it near my class stickers on both sides. If I can help the techs out and get out of impound quicker on those 100+F days I am happy to do it.

jason

Having Spent several years in Tech I have one comment for Greg AMEN
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

Nope, but you ain't in the ST sub-section my friend. '
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

I know when I'm not welcome.
    Sorry to bother you.
    Jerry

Lone Star Tech Chief.

I know when I'm not welcome.
    Sorry to bother you.
    Seriously? I was just pointing out that the question isn't really germane to this site unless you are talking to the 'experts' in the sub-forum. No need to take your ball and go home, we just can't help you with those questions unless you are asking in the right spot. Come down off the ledge!
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Wink Source for decals

We used zazzle.com as source for decals. You can customize your decal to match your car color tastes etc. Inexpensive,good quality, and quick shipment. Disclaimer "no affliation with zazzle other than being a customer!"
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

Seriously? I was just pointing out that the question isn't really germane to this site unless you are talking to the 'experts' in the sub-forum. No need to take your ball and go home, we just can't help you with those questions unless you are asking in the right spot. Come down off the ledge!

It was a rhetorical question in response to the ongoing discussion concerning whether the proper weight had been posted on the car. Which you chose to nit-pick, totally ignoring the main point made in the following statement.
    Jerry

Lone Star Tech Chief.

Can you help me understand why you view it as a private matter? If you are weighing cars for compliance, to me, it should be VERY public.
    Weight compliance is a pass/fail item - there's no gray area. Tech does not care what the vehicle weight is unless its non-compliant. We also feel that what a competitor's car weighs is a competitive secret and its not up to us to disclose that information. Most IT competitors joke about their car weights complaining how heavy the car is or how heavy they are personally. That's fine with us, but we do not presume to start that discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    But that doesn't mean that Tech is going to take your word for it; no way. They'll still take the time AFTER to look up your weight and verify that you put the right numbers on the side of the car, and if you didn't, they'll toss you for the violation.
    So, in other words, the rule serves no purpose as Tech still is going to look through the book for the weight of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by jjjanos View Post
    So, in other words, the rule serves no purpose as Tech still is going to look through the book for the weight of the car.
    Correct, but they don't have to do it while you're sitting right there, taking up space on the scales and they have a line of 6 other race classes that all need to be weighed.

Trust, but verify.

Can't imagine why this is causing so much bitching. This is just the stupidest thing to get all bent out of shape about...it's not like us wankers need to save valuable advertising space on the side of our car or anything...

GA

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Correct, but they don't have to do it while you're sitting right there, taking up space on the scales and they have a line of 6 other race classes that all need to be weighed.
    Seriously... how long does it take to look up the frigging weights?

Can't imagine why this is causing so much bitching. This is just the stupidest thing to get all bent out of shape about...it's not like us wankers need to save valuable advertising space on the side of our car or anything...
    Cuz it's off-season. Cuz it's another PITA put on the racers. Cuz it's another PITA that seems to be a solution to a non-existing problem.

Do my decals need to carry an unexpired SFI decal too?

<checks calendar>
    Yep, it's still winter.
    Steve Linn | Fins Up Racing | #6 ITA Sentra SE-R | www.indyscca.org

I'll chalk you up in the column of "I've never volunteered to work the scales at tech while 6+ classes of 3+ cars each are all standing out in the hot sun/cold rain waiting to be paraded across the scales while some guy flips through the outdated paper copy of the GCR trying to find MY car, in MY class, and trying to get from me the chassis, car, engine installed, number of gears, suspension mods, blah, blah, blah."

Try it sometime, you'll like it.

Conversely, we can do it just like we do at the Runoffs: instead of doing all the work in arrears, we can stand in the pre-tech line with our helmets waiting for our tech approval sticker, while debating with the tech inspector what page in the GCR you are to find OUR car, in OUR class, and trying to get from me the chassis, car, engine installed, number of gears, suspension mods, blah, blah, blah. Or, even better, we can wait in line behind the guy in front of us that's doing the same thing for HIS car.

Or we can put a little piece of vinyl on our car with that info (or, if that's a bit too steep an investment, put a piece of duct tape and "write" the number on the duct tape. Your call.)

<still shaking head...>

GA

Jjjjjanos, carrying dickish behavior to ever new heights. This is a record, even for you.

yes, YOU don't see a problem, but then you are one of the more centric guys out there.

Now if you were actually working tech, trying to get racers in and out quickly, for their benefit*, maybe you could see the reason.
    But we know you aren't in tech, so you won't.

*And the benefit of many others, because at some tracks, paddock space is limited, and there isn't an aircraft carrier deck sized space to line up 40 cars waiting to be weighed, so all the cars get stacked up clogging traffic, etc.
    And before you whine that they shouldn't weigh 40 cars, bla bla bla, I'll go on record as saying Id LOVE it if tech was more assertive in weighing everybody, and making everyone open hoods, etc.
    Last edited by lateapex911; 01-17-2012 at 02:41 PM.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com