Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: STL Chassis Builds?

excluding cars? really? NASA here I come!
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

Quote Originally Posted by CRallo View Post
    excluding cars? really? NASA here I come!
    Chris, you haven't read the NASA regs, have you? NASA - certainly in its Honda Challenge and Performance Touring categories - is all about excluding uber-cars from the lower classes, except they do it from an "inclusion" model versus an "exclusion" model. Six of one...

But I'm glad to read that you actually are/were giving thought to building a car for racing in SCCA. Don't give up on the dream... - GA

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Chris, you haven't read the NASA regs, have you? NASA - certainly in its Honda Challenge and Performance Touring categories - is all about excluding uber-cars from the lower classes, except they do it from an "inclusion" model versus an "exclusion" model. Six of one...

But I'm glad to read that you actually are/were giving thought to building a car for racing in SCCA. Don't give up on the dream... - GA
    I've honestly never read the NASA rules. I was mostly just kicking the hornets nest with the comment, however the general displeasure it expressed still stands There are always pros and cons and I like alot of what you've done for ST, but in this case, I don't like it. What about adding a penalty to these super cars? or allow things like control arms to help the slow cars? oh wait...

That said there are some core issues in the ST rules that bar existing cars from coming to play and I firmly believe that we risk losing (more) people to NASA.

In closing, I must remind you that I have already built and raced a car in SCCA competition...
    Chris Rallo "the kid"

I know that. And you should be ashamed for letting it sit there...

Greg, keep STL chassis open as described above. It's the right thing to do. Mickey
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    I know that. And you should be ashamed for letting it sit there...
    As long as you do too...

But I drove and raced the car THIS year. Not much, but who could blame me when I have all these other shiny things to drive? lol
    Chris Rallo "the kid"

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    The draft is part of it. It's just one of the data points that we keep harping on where SM times don't translate directly to other classes. We have data that shows solo qual laps at almost 2 seconds slower than when inside a 3-4 car draft at WGI.

I saw this thread late, don't come by here as often as I should. I did run less plate, same weight.

As far as times being off SM times, not looking at the times, but from memory there were a few factors for sure.

-SM was group one so track was definitely faster.

-I went out with three teammates in SM, by myself in STL. No draft along with many cars at different cars and speeds in STL group slows you up in different parts of the track. Defintely harder to get a clean lap and at Sebring, you only run 5-6 laps a session.

-Best tires were used in SM ( stickers in SM qualifying), not STL( 5 session +).

-Used STL qualifying more as Hoosier tire testing session, typically ran tires with more cycles.

- I think conservatively... a True STL Miata driven by a top 10 guy would have been 2 seconds a lap faster than I was. Best guess anyway.

I think STL is going to be a very successful class. I did not run at Homestead, just Sebring.
    Last edited by jdrago1; 02-07-2012 at 04:40 PM.