Thread: STL Chassis Builds?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    So why is that even a data point when the car is obviously multiple seconds off the pace? Really.
    Meh, no surprise. There's probably a negative number of "built" STL cars entered and, as we've all tangentially agreed, the Miata out-of-the-box is probably the best chassis out there.

I know Keane's Integra is still in near-SSC trim, as he was asking me just last week about things like springs, shocks, and swaybars. I'm guessing all he did was take out any extra ballast and easily-accessible interior parts and slapped some STL stickers on the thing.

I am surprised, however, that there isn't a larger number of Spec Miatas doing double duty, especially given the new Ho-Hos they're running (which can explain a lot about comparison lap times this weekend...is SM faster this year than last?)

GA

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post

I know Keane's Integra is still in near-SSC trim, as he was asking me just last week about things like springs, shocks, and swaybars. I'm guessing all he did was take out any extra ballast and easily-accessible interior parts and slapped some STL stickers.

GA
    Try Coil-overs, cams, a non sunroof roof panel, no ballast, header, and F/P regulator. Oh and some time on Irish Mike's dyno. The car is closer than you give it credit.

The Pole time was in the 38's. That's what I would usually run there in my old ITA car depending on weather.

Drago was second and also slower than his SM time. Tells me that it was likely very hot when they qual'd.

Andy, No data point, just mentioning it.
    Chris "The Cat Killer" Childs
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777
    angrysheepmotorsports.com

IT,SM,SS,Touring, and Super Touring

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit07 View Post
    The car is closer than you give it credit.
    Again, "meh". *I* think the Miata is the chassis to have right now in STL, but unless/until we start seeing some full-tilt-boogie builds, it's not enough information to draw any kind of conclusions...

Love to hear more news about Sebring though, given it's the very first race for Super Touring Light in National racing; anyone have anything substantial?

GA

Just FYI - and offered completely devoid of intent, expressed or implied - best I can tell the Sebring STL results both days were Miata, Miata, Keane (Integra.)

Don't know the prep levels of any of these cars, so I'm implying no conclusions whatsoever.

GA

STL field was light on real STL cars - I think Keane was the only one, though I could have missed something, Aspergren's neon, maybe?

Drago definitely had an SM, sans restrictor(?) SM was taped over next to STL on the graphics package. I don't know what if anything else was done to it.

track didn't seem to be 100%, and it was very warm. nothing unusual.
    Last edited by Chip42; 01-09-2012 at 10:54 AM. Reason: parenthetical ?

So if Drago ran his car without the restrictor, and with the new Hoosier tire, it should have been about as capable as my ITA car. I think he won one and came in second for one. There were mostly double-dipping SM's trying to get some testing in with the Ho-Ho's I bet.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

So Drago was one of the top-two? Why the reports of being 1s off SM lap times? Keane's Facebook page notes that he (Keane) led Race 2 at one point and made a mistake, finishing 3rd.

Kolin was running STU in the Neon.