Thread: STL Chassis Builds?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    The draft is part of it. It's just one of the data points that we keep harping on where SM times don't translate directly to other classes. We have data that shows solo qual laps at almost 2 seconds slower than when inside a 3-4 car draft at WGI.

I saw this thread late, don't come by here as often as I should. I did run less plate, same weight.

As far as times being off SM times, not looking at the times, but from memory there were a few factors for sure.

-SM was group one so track was definitely faster.

-I went out with three teammates in SM, by myself in STL. No draft along with many cars at different cars and speeds in STL group slows you up in different parts of the track. Defintely harder to get a clean lap and at Sebring, you only run 5-6 laps a session.

-Best tires were used in SM ( stickers in SM qualifying), not STL( 5 session +).

-Used STL qualifying more as Hoosier tire testing session, typically ran tires with more cycles.

- I think conservatively... a True STL Miata driven by a top 10 guy would have been 2 seconds a lap faster than I was. Best guess anyway.

I think STL is going to be a very successful class. I did not run at Homestead, just Sebring.
    Last edited by jdrago1; 02-07-2012 at 04:40 PM.