Thread: Race Technology dl1 & dash2

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Race Technology dl1 & dash2

Hello all,

Thinking about purchasing data aquisition and a Dash for the RX8. (Time frame would be April) I am starting to do a little research on different set-ups and I think I want to go with the Race Technology dl1 & dash2 package. I know this has been talked about before but I couldn't find any threads. I am pretty sure this is plug and play with an adaptor from them. Any comments or suggestions? I know flat-out sells them and they race at almost all the races I race at, plus they are always a good group and would probably answer a question if I had one. But if anyone knows of a used set-up somewhere that is selling for less that would be a bonus

Thanks for any/all comments
    Stephen

A lot of people in the N.E. use this. Greg Amy has his fair share of coaching with these systems too. I have both and probably wouldn't purchase the DASH2 again if had to do it all over.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Dave, Why not the dash 2? What would you do instead?

OEM tack and speedo. Then separate oil and temp gauges.

Maybe something like the below? I just feel that I'm not getting much, if any more value out of having the other type digital display. Yes, it does lap times (I actually turn that off and feel it has in ways imposed limits on me in the past) and some other features.

I personally don't need a shift light, but maybe that's just my own opinion. A lap counter would be the only item I'd like on my dash, but that's not even on the darn DASH2 unless it was just recently added. Pretty annoying it's not.

Now granted, it does look kinda cool but can think of better ways of spending the money. I imagine others will chime in and say it's the best thing ever.

Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

So I am a convert. I love regular gauges but there is a ton of value having all of your critical and 'other' data on one display. We have it set up so that you can toggle to oil and water temps if you want to check them but set up warnings when they get to a level you choose.

Not having to look all over your dash or center stack for stuff is nice.

I like seeing lap times as it tells me when I can come in during qualifying to not risk equipment or use up consumables. It also tells me about my 'pace'. Crank it up? Dial it back? We also set up the integrated video to mirror the Dash display.
    Last edited by Andy Bettencourt; 12-28-2011 at 08:36 PM.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    So I am a convert. I love regular gauges but there is a ton of value having all of your critical and 'other' data on one display. We have it set up so that you can toggle to oil and water temps if you want to check them but set up warnings when they get to a level you choose.

Not having to look all over your dash or center stack for stuff is nice.

I like seeing lap times as it tells me when I can come in during qualifying to not risk equipment or use up consumables. It also tells me about my 'pace'. Crank it up? Dial it back? We also set up the integrated video to mirror the Dash display.
    Those are all the things that I WANT... Basically looking at the center dash is easy when lapping but when in the heat of battle it gets real difficult real fast to keep checking. Plus this rotary thing sounds nothing like a 5cyl. I looked down at the tach the first time I drove it up the back straight at the glen and was well over 10K RPM and had no clue!!!

My current setup has oil temp, water temp, oil pressure, fuel pressure, trans temp, and diff temp. Stock guages are basically dummy lights for everything but fuel level. I really would like the warning lights when it is something I need to look at, but be able to set them to come on well before the stock dummy light since that is usually to late to help. I would also love to have lap times. Does the Dash2 have a ghost car feature?

Stephen
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by StephenB; 12-28-2011 at 09:31 PM.