Thread: Momo Start Seat...out of date?

Default Momo Start Seat...out of date?

I have at my disposal a Momo Start seat that was manufactured in 2006 and meets the FIA 8599-1999 standard. It is a bottom mount seat and I'd like to try and fit it into my ITA Miata.

Does an FIA seat ever become outdated?
    John W8

CSP10 Miata
    ITA50 Miata

SCCA does not require a seatback brace with an FIA-8855-1999 seat that is older than five years.

GA

but there is a newer Momo Start seat (the Start 2007), homologated to the same standard. if and when the accepted certification changes in the GCR, then that seat will no longer be legal. for now it is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip42 View Post
    if and when the accepted certification changes in the GCR, then that seat will no longer be legal.
    I disagree. Unless Momo or FIA pulls the FIA certification on that seat (a la Corbeau circa 2003, due to failures in design) then that seat retains its certification. The only time that the earlier seat will be unusable is if SCCA chooses to enforce the 5-yr life limit; at that point even the 2007 design seat will not pass muster eventually.

If you're implying that Momo has already withdrawn the cert on the earlier bottom-mount seat (which would be news to me) then that seat is no longer usable without a back brace.

GA

The OP's seat sounds completely legal as it carries the right homologation (certified 03/2001)and it has NOT been withdrawn.

My editorial was because the GCR specifically calls out FIA 8855-1999 and 8862-2009 seats. there were standards before that which are no longer recognized, and a seat homologated to one of them is no longer acceptable as an FIA seat. Also, eventually SCCA MIGHT enforce the 5yr expiration, and eventually 8862-2009 or some other standard will supplant 8855-1999 as that recognized, and existing seats will likely be phased into expiration at that point. Not really what was asked but added info.

If it has the sticker, it's good to go without the brace.

Thanks for the info. I originally had bought a Start 2007 seat for this car but the new design of the Momo seat was physically larger and I couldn't fit it inside the car. The older design is nearly 1.5" narrower overall. I just wanted to make sure it was still viable given it's age and bottom mount design.

My goal is to get lower in the car. Currently my helmeted head bounces off the roll bar and I just don't think that's wise/safe.

What are you opinions on the Ultrasheild Road Race halo seats? While I believe it can be mounted in such a way to get away from the bar over the window, how safe are they? Aluminum looks mighty flexy even with c-channel supports wrapped around the seat.
    John W8

CSP10 Miata
    ITA50 Miata

I have an aluminum seat in my P-CAR.

I use a Recaro and a Konig in my IT cars.

They all work fine, but the aluminum seal requiresa some thought as to mounting.

We take the seats in all our IT cars and lean them towards the middle of the car a small amount to get more clearance on the halo bar. Also twist the rear of the seat towards the center . Only seat I found that fit in the miata was a Momo without hitting the door. Cobra Imola was second best for room.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Just put a seat back brace on it and you are good to go. I have a similar seat and it works great with the brace.

I think if you do some research you'll find the FIA seats are not designed to use a seat back brace and some people think (as I do) it's actually unsafe to use one.
    Steve Elicati
    ITA 1994 Mazda Miata
    Central Florida Region

Quote Originally Posted by pitbull113 View Post
    I think if you do some research you'll find the FIA seats are not designed to use a seat back brace and some people think (as I do) it's actually unsafe to use one.
    Steve...any style barcalounger will fit in the Volvo....As for the back brace, I find that 4 cases of beer stacked behind the seat stiffens it(and me) up very well....LOL

Quote Originally Posted by bruceg View Post
    steve...any style barcalounger will fit in the volvo....as for the back brace, i find that 4 cases of beer stacked behind the seat stiffens it(and me) up very well....lol
    Steve Elicati
    ITA 1994 Mazda Miata
    Central Florida Region

To follow up on this, I fitted the MOMO Start seat into the car and crawled in to test sit the seat. Danged if I'm not higher than I was before. The MOMO has thicker fiberglass at the bottom and thinner padding on the seating surface that actually has me 1" or so higher. My goal was to get clear of the bars over my head, the MOMO puts me up in the "rafters".

$#@*!

The next plan is to reuse the seat I already had in the car but to remove the padding and try to sink in a bit.

Thanks for the info.
    John W8

CSP10 Miata
    ITA50 Miata

I ran the Momo Start in a couple of my Miatae, and I'm 6'1". Key was to completely remove the rear seat mounting "pad" on the floor so that the brackets mount directly to the floor, as flush as possible. - GA

Those pads are out, and the seat was sitting flush on the floor with the exception of a block to add some tilt to the seat.

I'll get it worked out. I've been told by some racer friends that comfort isn't that important in a racecar, I disagree.

It's hard to concentrate on your driving when you are trying to keep your head from bouncing off the rollcage.
    John W8

CSP10 Miata
    ITA50 Miata

Sorry to dig up an ancient thread but I have a Momo start seat. Certification intact FIA-8855-1999 manufactured July 2006. I do NOT want to run this seat with a back brace. Is this seat still legal without a brace?

Quote Originally Posted by mom'sZ View Post
    Sorry to dig up an ancient thread but I have a Momo start seat. Certification intact FIA-8855-1999 manufactured July 2006. I do NOT want to run this seat with a back brace. Is this seat still legal without a brace?
    In SCCA, yes.

In NASA, no.

YES.... scca.... thanks Greg, that is good news indeed.