Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Head & neck restraint comparisons

Quote Originally Posted by Chip42 View Post
    Jake, you can geta hans with quick release tethers now (no cost option), with pull cords just like the Simpson/SS devices. the thing still isn't as good as other devices, but at least you can now make it completely loose from you very easily.
    ...suggesting that a second point of release might not be such a deadly thing after all.

Give me strength...

K

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    ...suggesting that a second point of release might not be such a deadly thing after all.

Give me strength...

K
    Kirk,
    I feel your anguish!

Quote Originally Posted by cooleyjb View Post
    The thing you keep calling the Hybrid is the Hybrid Pro.

The Hybrid is a different device. It looks like a cross between the R3 and Hybrid Pro.
    Gotcha, sorry, I'm a lazy typer. No excuse, there are so many of these things, it's bad to add to the confusion. I'll clean it up.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post

Give me strength...

K
    I'm sure HANS will tell you it's just a convenience, and most users don't get it, and that it's important that you be able to get out having to only release ONE thing.
    And the radio, the coolsuit, breatherhose and the net.
    Jake Gulick

for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

I picked up the hybrid pro rage which is the composite version of the hyprid pro which is carbon fiber. mine does not have the straps that attach to the lap belts.
    Steve Elicati
    ITA 1994 Mazda Miata
    Central Florida Region

That's really odd Steve. Are you sure it's not one of their other models? The straps are what Safety Solutions commented help with the side impact.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

And, are these modifications and 'options' all tested and comply with SFI?
    Jake Gulick

IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

I talked to Safety Solutions yesterday. I was told they plan to market the Hybrid Pro and Pro Rage without the additional straps as their standard model. They recommend the harness straps for the oval track racers. I ordered mine without the additional straps/loops.

Just going off what I was told, Im mostly glad to finally have one purchased and be a step closer to racing in '12.

My Hybrid Pro Rage arrived yesterday (Dave's nice write up came out just a couple of days after I ordered) and it doesn't have the additional straps. However it does have the most important safety feature, the SFI 38.1 tag. I know I feel so much safer than with my Isaac device.

In all seriousness, I think the information out there on the Hybrid devices is a little confusing at best on what the available options are. I thought I had done my research pretty thoroughly but there were still options and acronyms being tossed around that I wasn't clear on. As soon as the new helmet arrives I may have to return the Pro Rage for the version with the SAS straps for side impact protection. Based on the limited test fitting I have done it seems comfortable and easy to use.
    ~Matt Rowe
    ITA Dodge Neon
    NEDiv

The "hybrid" folks don't do themselves any favors with their branding communications...

K

I wonder why the straps would be more for oval racing? Doesn't make sense to me. I could have sworn that they told me the straps were used to dissapate load which made it preform better on the sled than the R3. (I finally got clarification on the R3 testing versus the Hybrid Pro Rage with straps.) So now in theory there's a set of test results with and without the straps?

Just heard a rumor that the strapless versions don't have valid SFI stickers. Hee, hee, hee. (Yes, I'm joking.)

I think most people are just going to throw their hands up in the air and get something with the fancy sticker like you said Matt.
    Dave Gran

Thats exactly what I did,got the fancy stickered one. That way no one at tech has a reason to question what it is/legality.

Thanks for the hard work,we will pass it on

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    I wonder why the straps would be more for oval racing? Doesn't make sense to me. I could have sworn that they told me the straps were used to dissapate load which made it preform better on the sled than the R3. (I finally got clarification on the R3 testing versus the Hybrid Pro Rage with straps.) So now in theory there's a set of test results with and without the straps?

Just heard a rumor that the strapless versions don't have valid SFI stickers. Hee, hee, hee. (Yes, I'm joking.)

I think most people are just going to throw their hands up in the air and get something with the fancy sticker like you said Matt.
    I'll post this on the thread as well as classifieds, as I have just purchased a new(to me) ITB car and will need the cash to replace some stuff before I ever get out on the track again. As I said in the as, this has nothing to do with the HANS VS HYBRID...and I may well purchase another HANS when the time comes. This one is brand new in the box with tethers..the only item I have used are the posts which Adam at LRP mounted on my bell.

https://improvedtouring.com...ad.php?t=30016

I was told the straps are recommended for racing where barrel roll type crashes are common. They asked me what type of racing I would be doing, I answered road racing. The salesperson said the straps were more for oval racers. I said fine I dont need them. If they had recommended them I wouldve said yes I want them, its not like the straps cost any more money.

Anthony

NASA American Iron #28

Great information. Thanks Dave!

just a slight bend in this thread since some of this is human behavior related, i have been reading about human error reduction for some upcoming training and ran across this from http://www.talsico.com/newsletters/N...r1Article2.htm

Cognitive Dissonance - where your behaviors and beliefs must be consistent:

Forced into a specific safety behavior (wearing seat belts) people began altering their beliefs to justify this change in their behavior. This is a classic example of a psychological principle called Cognitive Dissonance, which simply put states, behaviors and beliefs seek alignment. If your behavior and your beliefs are NOT in alignment you will feel anxiety until you bring them back into alignment by changing one or the other.

A note of caution here: if you impose a behavior on a person and it conflicts with a very strongly held belief, you may place them in a position where they feel they have no option but to leave.
    i found it interesting because i have seen several posts from folks that previous to the rules from SCCA or NASA requiring the devices did not own a H&NR and are now ardent defenders of them and the policy.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

I'm in the "no option but to leave" camp. And I will really be gone when they mandate them for Solo 1 and 2.

Russ
    Russ

Considering a new seat for my "new" Volvo 242. Thanks to Dave, Greg and JAke, I got pointed to OG Racings website and saw this seat($540) with cover extra but thought it might be good with a HANS, Simpson,etc and still leave decent visability.

Any thoughts,guys

http://www.ogracing.com/catalog/prod...58/image/1626/

I'd really recommend calling them. Several of the guys there race, know all about the seats, and will talk to you about other key aspects in making your decision.
    Dave Gran

I'd really recommend calling them. Several of the guys there race, know all about the seats, and will talk to you about other key aspects in making your decision.
    Thanks, dave....as usual!