Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Head & neck restraint comparisons

Default Head & neck restraint comparisons

Last weekend Greg Amy, Jake Gulick, Jake Fisher and myself got together to mess around with the three primary certified head and neck restraint systems. It was really interesting and my preference was a bit different than originally thought.

Not a surprise to many of you are the politics behind the scene. I found it beyond frustrating the more I attempted to gather real information.

Sorry for the delay Tom and others. Evidently I will never have an acting career. Grrr. Never would have guess it was going to take me a few hours to shoot and edit a darn 4 min video, then still not be overly happy with it. LOL

Here's the article, videos, and thoughts from the guys involved. If you think it's decent, I'd really appreciate you sharing it on Facebook or wherever else and commenting below the article. I believe it's important for people for more people to know the background behind this wonder certification process. Hopefully I won't get sued in the process. Doh!
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Dave,

please link FIA certification reference for the Pro Rage.

I did not think it was FIA but only SFI 38.1

I hope I am wrong.

thanks,

Tom
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

That was partially based on a conversation I had with a Safety Solutions rep. On various sites I see FIA Institute Approved. The FIA site is challenging to navigate. Grrrr.

There's this press release which I saw before, seemed to make sense at the time. Need to gain further clarification. This whole subject is annoying and so...secretive it seems. On several stores sites, it lists this. From what I read, many of the units don't have the FIA sticker on it (the one I have here doesn't) but that was due to the timing of approval. Really not sure anymore.

Thanks to checking on that Tom.
    Last edited by gran racing; 12-20-2011 at 09:20 PM.
    Dave Gran

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    That was partially based on a conversation I had with a Safety Solutions rep. On various sites I see FIA Institute Approved. The FIA site is challenging to navigate. Grrrr.

There's this press release which I saw before, seemed to make sense at the time. Need to gain further clarification. This whole subject is annoying and so...secretive it seems. On several stores sites, it lists this. From what I read, many of the units don't have the FIA sticker on it (the one I have here doesn't) but that was due to the timing of approval. Really not sure anymore.

Thanks to checking on that Tom.
    FWIW, the Hybrid device is what has the FIA approval. The Hybrid Pro and the R3 are different devices than that one. It doesn't appear as though you had one of the Hybrid devices. It's somewhat in between the R3 and Hybrid Pro in appearance.

Here is a link that should take you to the current FIA spec that lists HANS and the Hybrid.

http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/A12FB1536667511BC12578B700714F94/$FILE/8858-2010_Frontal_Head_Restraint.pdf

Hey Dave,

I'd not beat yourself up about the quality of your video, it's a lot like some old tech video's I used to watch.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    If you think it's decent, I'd really appreciate you sharing it on Facebook or wherever else and commenting below the article. I believe it's important for people for more people to know the background behind this wonder certification process. Hopefully I won't get sued in the process. Doh!

Dave I tried posting a comment but it says "Duplicate comment detected; it looks as though you’ve already said that!"

So if you want to add my comment below your more than welcome to. I did like it and share it on facebook

Stephen

Dave, Great article! I have a few friends that are torn on what to get and I will definetly share this with them! I still like the Hans the best out of all my options. As with all safety items I feel as though user friendliness and simplicity for less margin of error on use make for a safer overall product. I think the Hans with two nets and a Halo seat designed for a Hans is your best overall protection. But all these devices seem to work and will protect you better than those old neck collers!

i guess i am reading the press release as you can use the device at FIA events:

Simpson Performance Products Receives
    FIA Approvals
    June 30, 2011, New Braunfels, Texas, USA – The Federation Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA) has approved the Simpson / Safety Solutions Hybrid Head Restraint and the Rally and Competitor Racing Gloves for use in FIA sanctioned competition, effective immediately.
    sort of like what i dreamed SCCA would post.....

enter REM Dream state....SCCA announces that Isaac devices can be used at all Club and National Racing events... exit REM via rude awakening...
    Last edited by tom91ita; 12-20-2011 at 11:33 PM. Reason: i forgot i dream in italics

Quote Originally Posted by cooleyjb View Post
    Here is a link that should take you to the current FIA spec that lists HANS and the Hybrid.

http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public..._Restraint.pdf
    Joe,

from the linked pdf

Test methods and performance requirements for
    the following FHR models are included :
    1. HANS® device (referred throughout this
    document as HANS)
    2. HUTCHENS HYBRID® device (referred
    throughout this document as HYBRID).
    Each Hybrid submitted for approval must be
    certified to SFI 38.1 and conform with the
    NASCAR accepted geometrical tolerance
    range.
    Part of the confusion for me is that FIA recognizes the "Hutchens Hybrid" which is now apparently sold by Simpson as the "Simpson Hybrid" but FIA does not list a "Hybrid Pro" or a "Hybrid Pro Rage" and some sites that sell all three only lists the "Hybrid" as SFI & FIA approved and the others are listed as SFI approved.

does the Hybrid Pro Rage come with an FIA sticker?

thanks,

Tom, who based on the video does not see the Pro Rage as that big of deal considering the price point and not wanting a HANS.

disclosure time: i intend to buy my gear for 2012 from Joe (harness, Rage & helmet)

i want to claim i was so ticked about SCCA/SFI 38.1/HANS that i went off and bought Rage...

Just doing Google searches, there are numerous sites that list the Hybrid Pro as SFI 38.1 Certified / FIA Institute Approved. Seems like there's a lot of confusion out there on this one.

One of many examples

The Rage is just supposedly the new model of the Hybrid Pro. Hell, I certainly can't tell the difference between them.

Stephen, it took your comment. Maybe pressed submit twice? Either way, much appreciated.
    Last edited by gran racing; 12-21-2011 at 12:19 AM.
    Dave Gran

It's horribly confusing.

So there are three devices (for roadracers) from SS

R3--the one with the longest run down the back
    Hybrid-- A bit shorter than the R3
    Hybrid Pro--Sits up at the top of the thoracic verts, just under neck

The R3 is completely standalone and only connected to the helmet and has a chest strap. The Hybrid and Hybrid Pro also have a foundation connection to the lap belts that are released as teh belts are.

There are two types of construction. A full CF version and a injection molded version. If it is the cheaper injection molded style they give it the designations rage. They are only going to be making the Hybrid Pro in the Rage version down the road. Hopefully the Hybrid too so we can get another FIA device that is in the same price as the HANS to give people more choices.

The Hybrid Pro/Hybrid Pro Rage is NOT FIA certifiable. Only the Hybrid which is just over 1,000.

So to sum it all up with what is currently being produced by SS/Simpson with rough prices.

Hybrid-- FIA and SFI certified. CF version 1000 bucks
    Hybrid Pro-- SFI certified. CF Version 900 bucks
    Hybrid Pro Rage-- SFI certified. Injection Molded 550 bucks
    R3--SFI certified. CF version 900 bucks.

The Rage's extra straps look like they're for a set of formula style sub belts, which I'm vaguely familiar with because I help a friend who runs a Continential.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Those straps are on the Hybrid, Hybrid Pro and Hybrid Pro Rage.

They indeed feel a bit like the formula style sub-belts that I had in my FC. In reality the attachment is just like arm restraints. They have little rings that slot over the lap belt latch.

FWIW, that seatbelt attachment is called the SAS or seatbelt anchoring system.

Dave,

Dave, great stuff!! Info that was needed out there!

I'd be interested in the four of you (thanks for inviting me! ) ranking the devices by how easy they are to put on by yourself and the ease of getting out of a car with it on.
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Quote Originally Posted by JLawton View Post
    ...(thanks for inviting me! )...
    Hey, the only reason *I* got invited was he needed my car...and my garage...

Not true. I was originally going to do it at Kessler's, but wanted additional feedback from experienced racers.

Sorry Jeff! You've been so quite lately...

Ease of putting on:
    HANS
    R3
    Hybrid

Like most devices, it just takes practice and none will be extremely difficult. Ease of getting out of the car - all about the same IMO. I really don't see a huge advantage of with any one of them.
    Last edited by gran racing; 12-21-2011 at 08:54 AM.
    Dave Gran

I'd agree with Daves list. But The hybrid was a lot more annoying than the rest to get on and hooked up.

As for egress, it depends. I'd want them all with quick disconnects. That eliminates variables.

Without them though (Because thats the standard 38.1 specifically mentions, it MUST be released with the belts), I'd say the R3 is best, then the hybrid, then the HANS. The HANS under normal conditions is fine (in the car I tested it in), but it's a wild card in less than ideal conditions with the yoke sticking up, likely to catch on all the crap we have in our cars.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

The thing you keep calling the Hybrid is the Hybrid Pro.

The Hybrid is a different device. It looks like a cross between the R3 and Hybrid Pro.

Jake, you can geta hans with quick release tethers now (no cost option), with pull cords just like the Simpson/SS devices. the thing still isn't as good as other devices, but at least you can now make it completely loose from you very easily.