Thread: Head & neck restraint comparisons

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Head & neck restraint comparisons

Last weekend Greg Amy, Jake Gulick, Jake Fisher and myself got together to mess around with the three primary certified head and neck restraint systems. It was really interesting and my preference was a bit different than originally thought.

Not a surprise to many of you are the politics behind the scene. I found it beyond frustrating the more I attempted to gather real information.

Sorry for the delay Tom and others. Evidently I will never have an acting career. Grrr. Never would have guess it was going to take me a few hours to shoot and edit a darn 4 min video, then still not be overly happy with it. LOL

Here's the article, videos, and thoughts from the guys involved. If you think it's decent, I'd really appreciate you sharing it on Facebook or wherever else and commenting below the article. I believe it's important for people for more people to know the background behind this wonder certification process. Hopefully I won't get sued in the process. Doh!
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Dave,

please link FIA certification reference for the Pro Rage.

I did not think it was FIA but only SFI 38.1

I hope I am wrong.

thanks,

Tom
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

That was partially based on a conversation I had with a Safety Solutions rep. On various sites I see FIA Institute Approved. The FIA site is challenging to navigate. Grrrr.

There's this press release which I saw before, seemed to make sense at the time. Need to gain further clarification. This whole subject is annoying and so...secretive it seems. On several stores sites, it lists this. From what I read, many of the units don't have the FIA sticker on it (the one I have here doesn't) but that was due to the timing of approval. Really not sure anymore.

Thanks to checking on that Tom.
    Last edited by gran racing; 12-20-2011 at 09:20 PM.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    That was partially based on a conversation I had with a Safety Solutions rep. On various sites I see FIA Institute Approved. The FIA site is challenging to navigate. Grrrr.

There's this press release which I saw before, seemed to make sense at the time. Need to gain further clarification. This whole subject is annoying and so...secretive it seems. On several stores sites, it lists this. From what I read, many of the units don't have the FIA sticker on it (the one I have here doesn't) but that was due to the timing of approval. Really not sure anymore.

Thanks to checking on that Tom.
    FWIW, the Hybrid device is what has the FIA approval. The Hybrid Pro and the R3 are different devices than that one. It doesn't appear as though you had one of the Hybrid devices. It's somewhat in between the R3 and Hybrid Pro in appearance.

Here is a link that should take you to the current FIA spec that lists HANS and the Hybrid.

http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/A12FB1536667511BC12578B700714F94/$FILE/8858-2010_Frontal_Head_Restraint.pdf

Hey Dave,

I'd not beat yourself up about the quality of your video, it's a lot like some old tech video's I used to watch.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Quote Originally Posted by cooleyjb View Post
    Here is a link that should take you to the current FIA spec that lists HANS and the Hybrid.

http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public..._Restraint.pdf
    Joe,

from the linked pdf

Test methods and performance requirements for
    the following FHR models are included :
    1. HANS® device (referred throughout this
    document as HANS)
    2. HUTCHENS HYBRID® device (referred
    throughout this document as HYBRID).
    Each Hybrid submitted for approval must be
    certified to SFI 38.1 and conform with the
    NASCAR accepted geometrical tolerance
    range.
    Part of the confusion for me is that FIA recognizes the "Hutchens Hybrid" which is now apparently sold by Simpson as the "Simpson Hybrid" but FIA does not list a "Hybrid Pro" or a "Hybrid Pro Rage" and some sites that sell all three only lists the "Hybrid" as SFI & FIA approved and the others are listed as SFI approved.

does the Hybrid Pro Rage come with an FIA sticker?

thanks,

Tom, who based on the video does not see the Pro Rage as that big of deal considering the price point and not wanting a HANS.

disclosure time: i intend to buy my gear for 2012 from Joe (harness, Rage & helmet)

i want to claim i was so ticked about SCCA/SFI 38.1/HANS that i went off and bought Rage...

i guess i am reading the press release as you can use the device at FIA events:

Simpson Performance Products Receives
    FIA Approvals
    June 30, 2011, New Braunfels, Texas, USA – The Federation Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA) has approved the Simpson / Safety Solutions Hybrid Head Restraint and the Rally and Competitor Racing Gloves for use in FIA sanctioned competition, effective immediately.
    sort of like what i dreamed SCCA would post.....

enter REM Dream state....SCCA announces that Isaac devices can be used at all Club and National Racing events... exit REM via rude awakening...
    Last edited by tom91ita; 12-20-2011 at 11:33 PM. Reason: i forgot i dream in italics

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    If you think it's decent, I'd really appreciate you sharing it on Facebook or wherever else and commenting below the article. I believe it's important for people for more people to know the background behind this wonder certification process. Hopefully I won't get sued in the process. Doh!

Dave I tried posting a comment but it says "Duplicate comment detected; it looks as though you’ve already said that!"

So if you want to add my comment below your more than welcome to. I did like it and share it on facebook

Stephen

Dave, Great article! I have a few friends that are torn on what to get and I will definetly share this with them! I still like the Hans the best out of all my options. As with all safety items I feel as though user friendliness and simplicity for less margin of error on use make for a safer overall product. I think the Hans with two nets and a Halo seat designed for a Hans is your best overall protection. But all these devices seem to work and will protect you better than those old neck collers!