Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SportsCar calendar

Default SportsCar calendar

Although I hope the new 2012 calendar will be different from the last few years, I'm betting it will not be. I had a couple of minutes while my computer rebooted:

Stats from the 2011 calendar:
    65 total pictures including about 150 cars
    20 club racing pictures including about 82 cars
    20 pro racing pictures including about 47 cars
    15 solo pictures including about 15 cars

Not a single IT car, heck our CATEGORY is not even mentioned
    Not a single regional race car (no IT, no regional formula cars)
    Every single picture is from a national or pro event, even the rallycross and solo pictures.

Would it really be so hard to include 1 single IT car in the calendar? Would it really be so hard to include one regional car in the calendar. Would it really be so hard to include one regional event of any kind in the calendar?

I realize that pro racing is considered high profile. (Athough I disagree that the club as a whole and regional programs in particular get any value from pro racing.) Same with national racing, national solo, national rally, it's the "big time" and regional programs are just that, regional and of little "value" to the image of the club.

But year after year this calendar is a reminder to me of how SCCA priorities are wrong and skewed toward programs that don't benefit the majority of members. Sure sure, no one wants to see a beat up 86 civic on the calendar, any more than anyone wants to see it in SportsCar. But this continous focus on pro racing, on national racing, on national solo at the expense of the regional programs that really impact the majority of members is very discouraging.

Every time I read SportsCar and every time I look at this calendar I am reminded that new members are bombarded with these same images. National Racing. Pro Racing. Pointy end of the field ARRC. And new members can go years without realizing that the majority of active members are not involved in huge dollar national or pro programs. We're not flying into tracks to participate in Red Bull driver searches. We're out running regional autocross, regional racing, regional rallycross. We're out working regional races. We're doing things THEY can be doing.

The focus on the tip of the iceberg in publications, in rules making and in classing is one thing that hamper's SCCA's ability to compete in the marketplace. This calendar is a daily reminder.
    Jim Hardesty
    ITC 1986 Honda Civic Diablo Rojo Verde
    Never argue your tab at the end of the night. Remember, you're hammered and they’re sober.

Jim
    Sadly you are correct. Years ago when the Power That Be (at the time) decided that the club magazine and publication will focus only on our elite events many said this was a bad idea. It still is. If you read Racer magazine and Sportscar magazine each month (I do) they are nearly the same read. They are published by the same people with the same articles. Pretty pathetic. If you want to get your name in our National magazine you must either be running a National level program in some discipline (Solo, Club Racing, Road Rally, or RallyCross) or die.
    Pretty crappy way to promote a member driven and member supported club.

The ship of fools has no rudder, and no one seems to know what to do about that. Every couple of years the faces of the National Board of Directors changes, and the new folks try to undue the "mistakes" of the past and nothing changes.
    Everyone is so worried about "saving their class" and nothing gets saved.
    I fear that we are doomed to fade away.

cheers
    dave parker
    "Ignore All Confrontations With Common Sense."

Agreed. I read some of the columns, always including Randy's - I figure they asked him on board because he's younger than 60, and they wanted a page where "the kids could have their say". The technical articles get attention, and occasionally I skim the letters and worker/new driver of the month pages. Then I look at pictures of racecars and browse a bit in the ads.

The endless pages of national/pro reporting is IMO boring and barely relevant. By the time SCar mag is published, everyone knows who won the class they care about and what happened on the track and in the tech shed. It really reads like a small eclectic circle patting themselves on their shoulders in a desperate attempt to force the only audience they can bother to pay some attention. I'd care a lot more about articles on history, class philosophy, material tests, and technical / practical / strategy advice.
    Astrophysathingy / goaheadtakethewheel.com
    99 Civic SI #9 WDCR ITS/STL
    93 Corolla / 97 PDX Miata

SportsCar is what recycle bins are for. I don't even read it on the groaner anymore.

K

WDCR have their own calendar that's a lot more genuine.

Since SCCA Pro Racing is a separate corporation, why don't they have their own mag, Racer sounds like a good place. Then there might be more room for the CLUB events!!!!
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

And about August there was a picture in the schedule section of SC with the caption "OVR holds their final regional race of the year at MO..."

And the picture was national cars. Even for a regional race we still get excluded.
    Jim Hardesty
    ITC 1986 Honda Civic Diablo Rojo Verde
    Never argue your tab at the end of the night. Remember, you're hammered and they’re sober.

<-- just added a few numbers - 4 weekends double dipped, and 2 events single-class; makes 10 regional entry fees, plus annual fee, plus national license fee, plus misc merchandise, and I always contribute to the worker fund because workers rock.

Makes an estimated $3500 paid to SCCA this season.

I don't need pics of my class in a mag or calendar, but if the deal is that Topeka sees its responsibility solely in the promotion of the national & pro classes, and leaves anything regional to the regions, I want the option to not get SCar mag anymore since it's not relevant for me, and get $20 off my membership fee that I'd rather spend on another worker fund.

Make that $3,300 paid to tracks this season.

I think online will be the next best way for SCCA to move forward. LOTS of ideas which would be fun to become involved in. SCCA / Haymarket contract runs out in 2013. Hmmmm. Wouldn't it be great if instead of being a large cost center, it potentially became a profit center? Or at least significantly reduced the cost along with becoming a much better marketing tool?
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

This is the first year that you officially would have to purchase a hard copy of the GCR. I know my membership dues did not go down... doing a digital sports car will not reduce our dues either.

Stephen.

Don't you nooobs know anything? IT cars are jalopies.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

[QUOTE=Kai Noeske;331116

.[/QUOTE]

Considering the entry fee for one pro weekend is $3,500, you're waaaaay behind!!

Money talks..............

Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

FYI, If you email Eric Pril he can change your SportsCar subscription to digital only.

Stephen.

have any of you submitted pictures for the calendar?

have any have you spoken to the people that make the calendar?

A post here takes the same amount of time as an email to them.

Stephen

PS : I like the calendar, and I like sports car. I have never emailed that editor or anyone else so I guess I can't expect anything more then what is in it already.

doing a digital sports car will not reduce our dues either.
    Why do you say that? Have you looked at how much SCCA pays to have Sports Car produced and mailed out? It represents a significant cost to the Club. (Think it's in the $650,000 range.)
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    This is the first year that you officially would have to purchase a hard copy of the GCR.
    Incorrect. You used to have to buy them "in the old days" (pre-early 90s?) and the GCR and each category was a separate book/purchase. THE one to have (one that simple plebeians couldn't get) was a single publication with GCR and all categories in one master book.

"No one" uses the hardcopy any more especially since it's constantly changing. If you see someone quoting rules to you from the hardcopy, you can pretty much dismiss that info.

GA

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    Don't you nooobs know anything? IT cars are jalopies.
    You mean improved vintage?
    Chris "The Cat Killer" Childs
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777
    angrysheepmotorsports.com

IT,SM,SS,Touring, and Super Touring

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Incorrect. You used to have to buy them "in the old days" (pre-early 90s?) and the GCR and each category was a separate book/purchase. THE one to have (one that simple plebeians couldn't get) was a single publication with GCR and all categories in one master book.

"No one" uses the hardcopy any more especially since it's constantly changing. If you see someone quoting rules to you from the hardcopy, you can pretty much dismiss that info.

GA
    Sorry Greg, my dad was racing then since I got my license 12 years ago I have been getting a copy free. And I totally agree with you about using the electronic version so your up to date!

Dave, its already an option for us and we do not get reduced dues. IF it becomes digital only, they will just make a profit on the reduced costs.

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    SportsCar is what recycle bins are for. I don't even read it on the groaner anymore.

K
    Groaner. Never heard that one before.

Steve Ulfelder
    Author of Purgatory Chasm and The Whole Lie
    www.ulfelder.com

Not true Greg,The hard copy is a valuable tool when you need to write the paper on "that Guy". And the first sentence from the driver advocate is,"Do you have a copy of the GCR,cant help you if you don't" Oh yeah the laptop is at the house. The hard copy rides in the gear bag.

The second statement from the DA we wont talk about. Thats when the half hour time limit runs up cause they spent so much time trying to talk you out of protesting. Cause its sunday and we all want to go home.

My next sentence was "sorry about the delay at the next race,I didnt mean to put him in the wall,I just wanted to rattle his cage"

Dan
    77 IT7 now EP,cause ST dosent want Rotarys